Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket in 4 hours? can it be done?

Options
Sandman
Sandman Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am making a holiday brisket dinner. Never made it before. I don't have the8-10 hours that it takes to make it competition quality. [p]Can I make a moist, tender brisket in around 4 hours? Anybody have a recipe? Its a small group, is there a particular cut you reccomend? Thanks.

Comments

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Sandman ,[p]No. You can't even braise one in the oven in 4 hours that you could actually eat unless it was a very small cut. Can you cook it before hand and finish it in the Egg?
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Sandman[p]There is a method out there somewhere for a "Quick Brisket" that involves wrapping the brisket in foil during the cook - however, this is about the best think I could find in the archives:[p]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2004/messages/136848.htm[p]Hopefully someone else will chime in with more info - from what I recall, those who tried this quick method were pretty pleased with the results, considering the much-shortened cooking time.[p]Good luck,[p]TRex
  • Yo Sandman, This makes the second time in the last two weeks I have posted something on this subject. Of all the different cuts of meat that are commonly cooked on the smoker/grill, brisket is the toughest to master. It is challenging enough to get a brisket to come out juicy and tender when you have time to do a long cook. IMHO (based upon my experiences), doing a quick cook on brisket is even harder to master. [p]Most cooks will not cook a prize winning brisket on their first try! With that being said, if you are still determined to cook a holiday brisket to impress your guests, at least do a practice round before the big day so you will some experience under your belt so you have an idea of what to expect.[p]Bottom line, if I were you, I think I would go with a tri tip roast, sirloin roast or prime rib roast for your holiday dinner. The margin of error is a lot less.[p]Lager,[p]Juggy[p]
  • Charles in SC
    Options
    Sandman ,
    I have done it a number of times. What youn need to keep in mind is that the results can vary quite a bit depending on the cut and size of the brisket (flat, whole packer, 3-15 lbs) The way I have done it is indirect at 325grid temp for 3 hours with smoke if you want it. Wrap at 170 degrees internal temp even if you are not at 3 hours then return to the egg and cook till it reaches around 200 internal. It is best not to use a rub with sugar as it can burn at these temps. Good luck and remember this does not necessaraly make the best brisket in the world.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Sandman ,
    i do what i'd call a 'jewish brisket' on the egg all the time. .takes exactly 4 hours, with great results. .. here's how you do it, but be warned, its not your texas/competition style brisket. . .[p]for flats of any size. . ..rub em up like you normally would. ..put it on a 250 degree egg with some good smoke indirect for 1 hour. ...after the one hour, put the brisket in a pan/pot with enough red wine to cover it abou 3/4 of the way, along with a packet or two of liptons onion soup mix. . .let the egg temp go to 350 degrees dome temp. . ..after one hour, add pearl onions and carrots and cover the pan/pot really tight with double layer of heavy duty aluminum foil. .. keep in the egg at 350 degrees for exactly 2 more hours. . .remove it, slice it and serve it. ..serve it in a pan with the reserved juice/onions/carrots poured all over it. . . it will have some smoke flavor to it. ...its very good, but again, not your typical bbq brisket. ...

• Sandman
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    I don't think so, I only have around 4 or 5 hours total. tops. Thanks everybody.

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Max is making pot roast...

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    not exactly .... idon't let it cook so long that it breaks down with a fork. . .its still "sliceable". . .but yes, it is more "pot roasty" than it is 'smoked' . .

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Sandman ,[p]I do this one all the time on the egg....[p]BBQ Beef Brisket[p]Just use the flat part of the brisket 5lbs or more[p]1/2 bottle of liquid smoke
    1/8 t garlic salt
    1/4 t onion salt
    1/4 t celery salt
    3 T Worcestershire Sause
    1/8 t salt
    1/8 t pepper
    1/2 bottle BBQ Sauce[p]
    Trime excess fat from brisket, Combine liquid smoke, garlic salt, onion salt, and celery salt. Marinate brisket, covered in frefigerator, overnight or at least 8 hours. Before cooking, sprinkle meat with worcestershire salt and pepper. Cook tightly covered in BGE or oven. at 250-275 for around 4-5 hours depending on how big of a brisket. Add 1/2 bottle of BBQ sauce the last 1/2 hour. Take out of egg and rest for a little while before cooking. [p]If you don't want to use liquid smoke you can first leave the brisket uncovered for the first 30 mins...[p]My wife does this all the time and everyone love's it...

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Sandman ,[p]Take a look at this link, may give you some ideas. This you on that forum asking the same question though? If so, you've already seen the info.[p]Troy
    [ul][li]BBQ Forum discussion on fast cook brisket[/ul]
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    By the way, those who say that this method doesnt provide a quality product, I would beg to differ. I've tasted the briskets cooked this way and I would have a hard time telling that it wasnt slow cooked. The results that these guys have achieved with this method pretty much speak for themselves. Good luck with your cook.[p]Troy
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    d7389712.jpg
    <p />sprinter,[p]You are correct.....This year, I have done 6 like this. An 11 pounder packer will cook in just over 5 hours, not counting resting time. I've had best luck and more control on the bark when I cook around 325° instead of 350°. Good moistness and the expanded grain structure I'm after is no problem at all. Instead of wrapping, I've have been going into foil pans.[p]e1931a64.jpg[p]Just a note here.... Fast cooking is a tool not a rule and it is not for everyone. You really have to pay attention to detail along the way. At these temps each cooker has a distinct personality and don't perform like they do at 225°. I have been getting advice from 3 different guys, two of them run large stick burners. I think the Egg is at the advantage here because of the ceramic properties of holding heat as well as the fuel consumption, but I am biased. LOL I plan on moving this experiment over to my BDS after I nail it in the Egg.[p]
    ~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Young Gun
    Options
    Sandman,
    Here is a link for a 5 hour brisket. I dont understand why you would want to do this when you have a smoker that takes most of the work out of making true smoked Q.[p]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2004/messages/136965.htm