Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Problems with ribs' tenderness

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have done smoked baby back ribs twice on my large egg now. Both times they have come out tasting pretty good, but not great. They are just a little tough to pull apart instead of being moist and fall off the bone tender like I had hoped.[p]I've been using the inverted V-rack with a basic Butt Rub, 250-275 for 3 hours, putting some wet sauce on in the last 20 mins or so.[p]How can I get my ribs to be really tender and delicious?[p]Thanks,
Marc

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Marc,
    Check out the cooks section of my website for a couple of rib cooks...should give you some ideas....3 hours isn`t long enough, and if you want em fallin off the bone do the foil method 3-1-1 or 1.5[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Marc,[p]As Wess stated below foil is your answer. I have experimented with several different foiling methods. I cuurently find that foiling after 3 hours with a mixture of BBQ sauce and apple juice for only 15-20 minutes then take them out to crisp up on the out side a bit for another 15-20 (no addtional sauce needed) does the trick for my taste. But then again I've been through some 20 different versions this past summer alone. Lucky for me a bad rib is still better than no rib at all.[p]Good luck,
    Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Marc,[p]Your temperature is a little high and your cooking time is too short. Shoot for 225-250 and plan on cooking for about five hours indirect for BBs and 6 hours for spares. Always remove the membrane. I got ribs yesterday that could easily have been a 9 or 10, but the nappy-ass membrane was there making me think more like a 6.[p]Examine your ingredients. Does that "basic butt rub" taste okay eaten off a spoon? How 'bout the sauce? If you don't want to make up your own, at least get some real high quality rubs from Dizzy Pig or Ken Stone. Ol' Ray's sauces are fine for store bought, but I posted a really nice raspberry chipotle finishing sauce in the recipe section that is way simple to make. It actually won a sauce contest (note to self... never judge a sauce contest).[p]I also like to spritz my BBs with weasel-pee (one cup cider vinegar, one half cup Capt. Morgan's, and one quarter cup Dale's sauce) a couple of times at 3 and 3.5 hours. It adds an interesting flavor layer. I wouldn't spritz too close to the end of the cook as it can soften the bark on the ribs.[p]Since I'm giving away the farm... one last tip. Get a box of Hawaiian guava wood from Greg Kemp and use it to flavor your ribs. It has the sweetness of hickory and a tanginess that no one can ever put their finger on. [p]Here's what I did two weeks ago that drew an "Oh, my God! I've never had anything so good!" from the pit boss at a local Q joint:[p]Removed the membrane from the bone side and trimmed excess fat and sinue from the opposite side.
    Rubbed in a very thin coating of yellow mustard.
    Applied a generous coating of DP Swamp Venom and rubbed it in gently.
    Refrigerated overnight.
    Got egg up to 235 for about an hour to be sure it was stable.
    Rubbed the ribs down with another good coating of DP Swamp Venom
    Threw in 3 chunks of guava wood and started smoking in a rack on an inverted plate setter - indirect.
    Spritzed at 3 and 3.5.
    Applied fresh made (still warm) finishing sauce at 4.5.
    Meat temp hit 195 using fine tip Thermapen at 5.
    Removed and let rest for half an hour.
    Cadillac-cut six bones and ran them down to the Q restaurant to show off (pit boss is a good friend).[p]The only twist here is that instead of using the raspberry goo in the sauce, I substituted David and Henry's Pumpkin Butter (think apple butter only pumpkin - spreadable pumpkin pie).

[ul][li]Finishing sauce[/ul]
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Marc,[p]I THINK the posts below are referring to INDIRECT cooking methods also. If you are cooking yours direct over the coals then you may want to drop the temperature a bit, say 225, and cook them longer, say 5 or so hours, otherwise you may end up burning them a bit if you dont continually turn them. Bottom line is, like the posts below have said, you need to cook them longer, direct or indirect. Baby Backs will go about 5-6 hours, taking them off at 3 is not giving them enough time on the grill. I dont use foil on my ribs so I cant speak to that but the others have given their ideas already.[p]Good luck.[p]Troy
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]Swamp Venom? You must like 'em on the hot side!

• Marc,
    Cooks Illustrated claims its best to brine 2 racks of Babybacks with 1/2 cup salt and 1/4 cup sugar for one hour and no more. This gives it the tenderness and moisture it needs. I have yet to try this but my babybacks have always been somewhat dry compared to regular spares. Perhaps this idea has some merit?

• BBQBluesStringer,[p]This post should save you (Marc) about a dozen cooks worth of experimenting. It should also have a disclaimer at the top that says, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I am a cook." (Taken from Stubb's BBQ Sauce, I always thought that was funny)[p]One question. I once refrigerated a rubbed rack overnight and it gave it a hammy taste. Perhaps it was the salt in the rub I used? (I didn't use DP SV).[p]Thanks for the keys to the farm,[p]KbJ
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]Thanks for the tip on the Guava...gonna that a try.[p]No drip pan with a flavored liquid inside? Always felt that all the opening of the Egg to spritz simply lets out too much of the natural miosture of the cook. If your lookin' your not cookin'.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Bobm,[p]...and what amount of water?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Most brining recipes I've found are by the gallon.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Marc,
    Are you taking the membrane off?

• SMITTYtheSMOKER,
    Yes it was a gallon

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Keyboard Jack,
    I could see that happening if your rub is heavily salted. I use Swamp Venom or Dizzy Dust, or Ken's Witchy Red (Ken, I'm down to my last jar!) on almost everything pork and I've never encountered a problem like you described.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    hey kelly, where have you been hiding? .. long time, no hear!! . .. hope all is well with you all . ..[p]max
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    Drop me an e-mail and I'll have more en route ASAP.[p]Ken

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Marc,
    As was said below, they just need more time. The foil is not at all necessary for a tender moist rib, but still folks get great results with foil...which actually speeds the cooking process. The key is to break down the collagen, and that just takes time. Try the same thing next time, but go roundabouts 5 hours for babybacks....6 for spares. Also, try poking the meat with a toothpick to judge doneness. The toothpick pulls back on you, give em more time.
    Happy rib'n!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Hey Max! I was busy with work for the last couple of years so I didn't get much time to spend on the forum. Now I've retired from my third career and I'm getting ready to embark on number 4. Carpe and I are going to open a business in Coastal Georgia. We just moved to the Savannah area in October and I'm still living with a sea of boxes. Didn't make it to Eggtoberfest because that was moving weekend. Maybe next year...
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER,[p]I'm not sure spritzin' adds much (to my ribs), but when I do it, I spritz through the daisy wheel.[p]KbJ