Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Instant pot....

Options
2»

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I get irrationally angry when I cook a big meal and the compliments are “it’s so tender!”  
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    So far all I use the instant pot I've got is as a slow cooker. I got the 3qt version because my 6qt crock pot was too large for what I was using it for. The 3qt is a better size there.
    I do plan to do some hard boiled eggs in it soon.
    That being said, I'd NEVER even think about using it instead of my BGE for anything. I know my niece and nephew like to use theirs to make meals. Throwing in a bunch of things and having something in less than 30 minutes that would take hours otherwise. Sorry, but I have patience in lots of things, especially cooking. I'll make a stew, soup, or chili on a weekend and let it cook for hours.
    Besides, I wouldn't believe doing something like ribs in the pressure cooker and then 'finishing' them on a gasser will be as good as low and slow on a BGE where you're adding just the right amount of wood to balance the flavors. Using liquid smoke means you're depending on a manufacturer to get it right. If you don't want to have that flavor, then you're boned. Personally, I've not used hickory or mesquite in ages (at least 15 years). IMO/IME, it's too easy to go too far with those woods. If you can get it balanced with that, more power to you.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hasn't produced anything that comes close to the BGE in flavor. 
    Try this pot roast. I swear that hunk of chuck roast was among the best beef I've ever had! Certainly as good as anything I've ever cooked on the egg. Takes about 2 1/2 hours.

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/pressure-cooker-pot-roast/

Mine (leftovers, day 2)

I have made some d@mn good pot roast in my IP, but I missed the way the house smelled opening the door after work when I make it in a Crockpot. I do dig how you can break down tough meat and how quickly it makes beans go from dry to table. Meh, it has its place. As does the egg, blackstone, sous vide. I think ol' boys brother is just missing the whole point of making ANYTHING outside, over fire. To each their own, I guess. Truth be told, if the whole country cared about ribs, brisket or butts as much as this forum, that sh!t would be $20 a pound, RW would be $100 a bag, and I'd have to find five more ways to make a d@mn chicken.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    Well I just got a phone call from my idiot brother. He was trying to tell me that his instant pot is better than my BGE. Claims he just had the best ribs of his life. He said he just cooked ribs with some liquid smoke and some cola in it then transferred to his cheap propane grill to add bbq sauce and had ribs in under 45 minutes. Best ribs he’s ever had he said lol. Also says he can make the worlds best chicken wings in under thirty minutes. He throws them in frozen and in thirty minutes they are done and best wings ever. I told him he should enter some bbq competitions...
    Really hard to over imbibe on adult beverages in under 45 minutes!  Takes all the fun out of it!
    Oh yeah??  Hold my beer....
     =) 

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    dharley said:
    Hasn't produced anything that comes close to the BGE in flavor. 
    Try this pot roast. I swear that hunk of chuck roast was among the best beef I've ever had! Certainly as good as anything I've ever cooked on the egg. Takes about 2 1/2 hours.

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/pressure-cooker-pot-roast/

Mine (leftovers, day 2)

I have made some d@mn good pot roast in my IP, but I missed the was the house smelled opening the door after work when I make it in a Crockpot. I do dig how you can break down tough meat and how quickly it makes beans go from dry to table. Meh, it has its place. As does the egg, blackstone, sous vide. I think ol' boys brother is just missing the whole point of making ANYTHING outside, over fire. To each their own, I guess. Truth be told, if the whole country cared about ribs, brisket or butts as much as this forum, that sh!t would be $20 a pound, RW would be $100 a bag, and I'd have to find five more ways to make a d@mn chicken.
    Rockwood already is 100 bucks a bag haha close enough anyway. 
    NW IOWA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    Well I just got a phone call from my idiot brother. He was trying to tell me that his instant pot is better than my BGE. Claims he just had the best ribs of his life. He said he just cooked ribs with some liquid smoke and some cola in it then transferred to his cheap propane grill to add bbq sauce and had ribs in under 45 minutes. Best ribs he’s ever had he said lol. Also says he can make the worlds best chicken wings in under thirty minutes. He throws them in frozen and in thirty minutes they are done and best wings ever. I told him he should enter some bbq competitions...
    Really hard to over imbibe on adult beverages in under 45 minutes!  Takes all the fun out of it!
    Obviously, you need a lesson from @caliking;)
    There's a difference between imbibing copiously, and imbibing too much. Not a big difference, but a difference nonetheless :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Liquid smoke makes me want to puke. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    The IP is a totally different device versus the egg.  It definitely has its place in my kitchen but the seasonings for an IP cook is way different than s non pressurized cooked.  You gotta almost double your traditional amount.  

Soups and sauces  flavors are awesome after being under pressure. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    And some people Sous vide ribs.    Haha. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    thetrim said:
    And some people Sous vide ribs.    Haha. 
    Yes, I have done this when I want ribs on a weekday after work. I take them out of the hot tub, put some sauce on them and into the egg with some wood chips for 30 minutes or so to give them the colour, texture and flavour. The are actually quite good and I would not have had time to make them the traditional way. 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario