Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anybody tried the A-MAZE-N Smoker for extra smoke?

Options
Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654
I've seen people talk about using this product for cold smoking, but there are a few things I like really, really smoky, and sometimes I wish I could get heavier smoke in my BGEs.  The A-MAZE-N "tube smoker" seems to be basically a perforated steel tube you fill with wood pellets, fire up one end, and it smolders slowly all the way to the other end over 6h or so, adding wood smoke to a gas grill, etc..  Most of the time I'm very happy with the smoke I get from wood chunks and/or chips, but once in a while I wish I could get something super smoky.

Has anybody tried these in a BGE just for additional smoke?

Comments

• Thecoiman
    Thecoiman Posts: 134
    Options
    I have the tray version. I like it. Usually use for cold smoking, like cheese. 
    Garland, TX

2 Large, 1 Mini Max, 1 Mini
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is a great question.  I think it would work fine for this, you would just have to figure out where to put it.  If you set it on top of the burning lump then I suspect it would all burn up quickly.  If you have the space on the grid I think it would work.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I only use mine for cold smoking but mix the pellets throughout my lump along with chunks for long cooks
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Theophan
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful replies!  I might try one of those things, we'll see.  And good recommendation on putting it on the grid -- thanks!
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Don't see why you would need this.  Just add extra wood.   I usually find that I need to dial down the quantity of wood I use on a medium egg, although I up the ante on the KJ Classic.  Even there, I go fairly light.  Kamado cookers are pretty efficient at converting wood to usable smoke.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Theophan
    Options
    bboulier said:
    Don't see why you would need this.  Just add extra wood.   I usually find that I need to dial down the quantity of wood I use on a medium egg, although I up the ante on the KJ Classic.  Even there, I go fairly light.  Kamado cookers are pretty efficient at converting wood to usable smoke.
    We may just have different tastes.  Some people don't like very smoky food, and I've actually heard a few complaints on this forum, people asking how to get the food less smoky.  But where I grew up, "barbecue" either meant Sloppy Joes or grilling hamburgers, so when I went to Texas, once, many years ago, and had real barbecue for the first time in my life, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!  But that stuff was smoky, smoky, smoky!  I loved it!

I moved to Virginia, and now North Carolina, where the tradition in barbecue tends to be pulled pork, but, compared to what I had in Texas, it hardly seemed smoky at all.  People were RAVING about the BBQ at one place where I lived in Virginia, and it tasted like a pork pot roast to me -- sort of watery, insipid, I could hardly tell it had been smoked at all, and I can't say I really enjoyed it, much.

Chicken on the Egg I don't want too smoky -- I almost never add any wood.  Just the BGE charcoal gives it plenty of smoky flavor for me.  I've loved the ribs I've cooked just the way they are, but it would be OK with me if they were even smokier.  Pulled pork has always been good, and better than that restaurant I mentioned, but I'd still like it even smokier.  And brisket... I've only cooked it a few times, thought it was really tasty, but WAY less smoky than what I remember in Texas.

I'm not sure you're quite right on "Kamado cookers are pretty efficient at converting wood to usable smoke."  I've read that they are "low oxygen environments," and considerably less smoky than, say, an offset stick burner.  When I watch Barbecue Pitmasters, those guys have visible smoke throughout the whole cook.  It doesn't matter how many chunks and/or chips I scatter through my lump, I see visible smoke only for a fairly small portion of a really long cook.  Most of the time it's either just barely visible or really not visible at all.  I think there's WAY more smoke throughout a cook with an offset stick burner.

I have a Medium and a Large, and the concept of "dialing down" the wood is completely foreign to me (except for chicken, as I said).  I suspect that I just like smokier food than you do.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    @Theophan - did you ever give this a try? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Theophan said:
    I've seen people talk about using this product for cold smoking, but there are a few things I like really, really smoky, and sometimes I wish I could get heavier smoke in my BGEs.  The A-MAZE-N "tube smoker" seems to be basically a perforated steel tube you fill with wood pellets, fire up one end, and it smolders slowly all the way to the other end over 6h or so, adding wood smoke to a gas grill, etc..  Most of the time I'm very happy with the smoke I get from wood chunks and/or chips, but once in a while I wish I could get something super smoky.

Try placing the wood chunks on the fire grate and then adding the lump on top. I got this idea from one of Harry Soo's YT Videos on brisket. Ever since I have used this technique I get more consistent longer lasting smoke plus the temperature does not increase during the cook especially at 225 grate temps.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited March 2019
    Options
    dstearn said:
    Theophan said:

Try placing the wood chunks on the fire grate and then adding the lump on top. I got this idea from one of Harry Soo's YT Videos on brisket. Ever since I have used this technique I get more consistent longer lasting smoke plus the temperature does not increase during the cook especially at 225 grate temps.

So you don't get the wrong kind of smoke smothering the wood chunks like that? I'm on the same quest as Theo it seems. I was assuming that placing the wood chunks directly on top of the lump, where they have the most oxygen, would be the best spot. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • dstearn
    Options
    I have not had any issues with bad smoke. By the time I have started the cook the lump has smoldered on the chunks for at least an hour. Adding the chunks on the top creates hot spots and increases the temp. I have tried layering wood as well but by setting the chunks on the lowest level I have had the most consistent results.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Adding the chunks on the top creates hot spots and increases the temp.

Are you sure about this?  The size of the fire is limited by airflow.  Adding more fuel will not increase the size of the fire.  Opening the top will allow more air into the egg and you will get a temporary increase in fire size. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• dstearn
    Options
    Adding the chunks on the top creates hot spots and increases the temp.

Are you sure about this?  The size of the fire is limited by airflow.  Adding more fuel will not increase the size of the fire.  Opening the top will allow more air into the egg and you will get a temporary increase in fire size. 
    I have had the most consistent results placing the wood on the fire grate. My temps have gone up during the cook when the chunks are placed on the top.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    Ever tried putting the chunks inside the lower vent, on the ashes?  Hot embers would slowly fall on them, causing them to smoke, and then smoke rises thru glowing lump.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    I've tried it and also in the gasser. It did not work for me. The lack of oxygen with another fire near by snuffs the pellets out almost instantly
  • Theophan
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    @Theophan - did you ever give this a try? 
    No, I'm sorry, never did.

I wound up experimenting with different ways of doing the wood, and wound up happy enough with my smoke that I didn't feel the need for more.  Different people seem to get their favorite results different ways, which is confusing.  Some people swear by mixing wood chips throughout the lump, but somehow, that didn't work as well for me.  I now bury a chunk or two in the limp near the center but not quite at the center, and then I add 3 or 4 chunks on top sort of radially around the fire, so as the first spreads, it'll keep getting at those chunks.  I usually get visible blue smoke for at least 2 or 3 hours, often longer, and the ribs or brisket seem plenty smoky to me, so I'm happy.

It seems to me that someone here said the A-MAZE-N Smoker doesn't work so great in a BGE with a fire going because the oxygen level drops lower than it would with the A-MAZE-N Smoker alone.  But I'm not positive about that.
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I have used it for cold smoking (on egg). I have also used it for primary source of smoke (not on egg). BUT, I have never used it for "extra" smoke and don't see why you would need to. I find that my wood chunks are plenty.  If you need extra smoke, why not just add more wood?
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I’ve done this. Placed a full tray right on top of the burning lump. It worked great. 

LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • WeekendWarrior
    Options
    I have a 12” smoker tube. When I smoke brisket now, I pack the entire tube with hickory pellets, light it and place on grid. I put the brisket on there and let it do its thing. The results are phenomenal. Tastes like it was smoked on an offset in Central Texas. No joke. Just burn the lump and use the tube. It lasts for 6 hrs. and imparts a great smoke flavor and smoke ring. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited March 13
    Options
    I have a 12” smoker tube. When I smoke brisket now, I pack the entire tube with hickory pellets, light it and place on grid. I put the brisket on there and let it do its thing. The results are phenomenal. Tastes like it was smoked on an offset in Central Texas. No joke. Just burn the lump and use the tube. It lasts for 6 hrs. and imparts a great smoke flavor and smoke ring. 

Welcome aboard! Just curious, are you former @Weekend Warrior Mark by any chance? If so, then welcome back!
    canuckland