Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new cast iron vent

Options
billt01
billt01 Posts: 1,528
When picking up the XL, Ace put the new cast iron vent inside the grill from transport. When I got home and looked on here, it seems they may have left off the rain cap..oooooorrrrr...is this an additional purchase piece?
Have:
 XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
Had:
LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
Ola, Ga

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I wouldn't swear to it, but I think I remember BGE saying that it was an optional accessory when they previewed the product on facebook.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • billt01
    Options
    thanks Gents for the information and apologies for the laziness..

Love the egg, but it looks like I'll be buying a smoke ware cap....
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    billt01 said:

What’s your location (state)?
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• billt01
    edited March 2019
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    billt01 said:

What’s your location (state)?

@JMCXL

Georgia
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited March 2019
    Options
    billt01 said:

It cost me an additional $25 for the rain guard on the new vent I believe. Rain isn’t a real issue here in the desert of Utah, so I haven’t used it yet. 

However i I have bought the new style cap for all of my eggs that it fits on. I have a smokeware cap and I much prefer it over the smokeware. The smokeware cap seems cheap by comparison, and the functionality of the new reggulator is just so easy to dial in. My biggest pet peeve with the smokeware is how it always got stuck in the cover when removing it. 

I thought I would offer offer my perspective and a user of both for comparison. 
  • billt01
    Options
    billt01 said:

It cost me an additional $25 for the rain guard on the new vent I believe. Rain isn’t a real issue here in the desert of Utah, so I haven’t used it yet. 

However i I have bought the new style cap for all of my eggs that it fits on. I have a smokeware cap and I much prefer it over the smokeware. The smokeware cap seems cheap by comparison, and the functionality of the new reggulator is just so easy to dial in. My biggest pet peeve with the smokeware is how it always got stuck in the cover when removing it. 

thanks for your offerings, but do you feel like the rain on cast iron may be a issue ..

I have always been on the boat, never leave your cast iron in the rain. Even if you take it off and store it in the egg, I always believed the high humidity would eventually take its toll on the vent
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I never use the ceramic cap. I believe I have four of them stored the island of my gasser. Just don't see the need. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:

thanks for your offerings, but do you feel like the rain on cast iron may be a issue ..

I have always been on the boat, never leave your cast iron in the rain. Even if you take it off and store it in the egg, I always believed the high humidity would eventually take its toll on the vent
    You have some valid questions, my perspective may not be the best as I live in the second most arid part of the US.  It is seriously dry here.  I have wondered about the cast iron being exposed issue.  BGE has said that they have some special coating on it to combat rust (pixie dust maybe?).  We will see how it goes.  I have no rust yet, but I cover my eggs to keep the bands and handle out of the sun in the summer, and the somewhat wet winters and springs that we have here. Here is a somewhat recent pic of one of the eggs sporting the new top, its been on there for 3-4 months and it still looks new on the outside (on the right).  Maybe the pixie dust is working.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    I never use the ceramic cap. I believe I have four of them stored the island of my gasser. Just don't see the need. 
    It’s great for holding your tongs 
  • MRitz
    MRitz Posts: 1
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:

Hello, I picked up both the rEggulator and optional rain cap a few months ago.  I love the new vent, it's super simple to use, stays in position when opening the dome, and it seems my egg is getting to hotter temps easier.  They do say it increases airflow over other designs.  To answer your question about cast iron in the rain, they also coated this new one to weather proof it.  My original vent cap that came with the Egg rusted almost immediately even though I always took it off when not in use and covered with the ceramic top.  The new rEggulator, in the other hand, I've not seen any rust developing whatsoever.