Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Tundra Owners/Timing chain

Options
2»

Comments

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Just went out on the interwebs for giggles. Lot's of good info for Toyota T/chain stretch and checking on Youtube and the 4runner forum. They are tough little engines but at 238k I would be checking. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    @alaskanassasin

Mines already been checked before and was fine. That’s how I went about asking 2 different dealers. Because I wanted to verify I wasn’t getting jerked around. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @TEXASBGE2018 I hear you, depends on the dealer. I took my truck to the Dodge dealer because the transmission would not shift correctly.  A hour later the mechanic told me it needed a new transmission with labor and all I should just buy a new truck. Mind you I had to pay for that evaluation and advice.

So I took it to a shade tree mechanic, he pulled the pan, probed around with a multi meter and ordered a $160 solenoid. Had me rolling the next day.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    My opinion only-  

I have found that dealership mechanics don’t diagnose anymore- they only get paid for changing parts. So they can’t spend an unpaid hour tracing items to make sure they have the correct fix. 

This stems from the way the auto companies/dealerships pay them. So this leads them to error on the side of changing parts. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • frazzdaddy
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    My opinion only-  

I have found that dealership mechanics don’t diagnose anymore- they only get paid for changing parts. So they can’t spend an unpaid hour tracing items to make sure they have the correct fix. 

This stems from the way the auto companies/dealerships pay them. So this leads them to error on the side of changing parts. 
    True, for some dealerships the compensation structure is a problem. The industry is loosing a lot of promising young techs to IT. 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • frazzdaddy
    Options
    @TEXASBGE2018 I hear you, depends on the dealer. I took my truck to the Dodge dealer because the transmission would not shift correctly.  A hour later the mechanic told me it needed a new transmission with labor and all I should just buy a new truck. Mind you I had to pay for that evaluation and advice.

So I took it to a shade tree mechanic, he pulled the pan, probed around with a multi meter and ordered a $160 solenoid. Had me rolling the next day.
    LOL, my cousin in Atlanta (single mom of 4) had a similar issue with her Dodge van. Her guys told her she needed a tranny. I called them and walked them through a diag process. End result, you guessed it a solenoid. Less than 200.00
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    Options
    Great insight, thanks everyone. I’m flying home from work this week. I’ll need to have it checked out as I get closer to 100k. I know enough about engines to be dangerous. Changing oil/fluids, battery no big deal but ripping into an engine and messing with timing chain etc sounds a little more aggressive than what I’m comfortable doing. Now changing a toilet or water heater...all day long baby!!