Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick Ash Can

Options
Wow guys I am disappointed. Yesterday I saw Kick Ash has announced a new product, the Kick Ash Can. I thought surely someone would have created a thread, with some saying it looked great, others saying it looked pointless and others saying that their Rockwood does not create any ash what so ever. 

https://www.kickashbasket.com/store/product-detail.php?product_id=77

Comments

• kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    Options
    And never mind I see a thread on the topic below.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    Welcome to the party
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Waiting for them to make it for the medium BGE...
    Getting ready to order up the basket... Probably today...
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • kjs
    Options
    @1911Man I have the baskets in both my L and MM and recommend them.
  • 1911Man
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I thought they also made something to grab the stone from their setup too. Last weekend I removed the stone from the woo ring setup and I held it almost too long (even with high heat gloves it was getting hot). I've been looking on their site for the piece that lets you lift the stone without touching it with your hands but can't find the bastage.
    edit: found it on Smokeware's site but it's only for the large and XL BGE.. Need something for the 13" stone I use in my medium. :(
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,688
    edited February 2019
    Options
    1911Man said:
    I thought they also made something to grab the stone from their setup too. Last weekend I removed the stone from the woo ring setup and I held it almost too long (even with high heat gloves it was getting hot). I've been looking on their site for the piece that lets you lift the stone without touching it with your hands but can't find the bastage.
    edit: found it on Smokeware's site but it's only for the large and XL BGE.. Need something for the 13" stone I use in my medium. :(
    Smokeware's lifter is different.  KAB's lifter works with ANY 3/4" stone, but you need two for the XL because of the weight.  The nicest thing is that you can hang the stone from the table or mates.  Works great, and so does their grill lifter.

KAB makes a basket for the Medium.....at least they did.  I don't have one in the shop any more, but my quickbooks shows I've sold 5 of them.
  • 1911Man
    Options
    I ordered the kick-ash basket just a few minutes ago... I'll keep looking into lifters for the stone...
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,534
    Options
    stlcharcoal said:
    KAB's lifter works with ANY 3/4" stone, but you need two for the XL because of the weight.  The nicest thing is that you can hang the stone from the table or mates.  Works great, and so does their grill lifter.
    Thanks; my lifter does work for both my Large and Small, but I couldn't remember who I purchased it from.  Yes, that table-hanging feature is great!  

"Tung Oil is derived from the Tung tree, but not from its tongue, but rather its nuts."  - Stumpy Nubs

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    1911Man said:
    https://www.kickashbasket.com/store/product-detail.php?product_id=43
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    The can looks awesome. Too bad shipping and boarder fees are over the price of the product. Hopeuflly some resellers in Canada get it soon 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,047
    Options
    Pushing $40 after shipping 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Phaqallyall
    Options
    I'll just leave this here

sound it out yaidjit
  • 1911Man
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    1911Man said:
    https://www.kickashbasket.com/store/product-detail.php?product_id=43
    Just placed an order for one of those. Since I have the basket coming (from CGS, since they include the lump rake with it for the same cost) it's worth trying these too. If it does what I want (as it appears it will) then it's a win-win. Plus it will help when I make the table for my egg in a few months. I have a friend with a full woodworking shop setup at his home. Good chance I'll be making the table there. Be easier than trying to do it in my cramped garage, or outside. Plus I don't have the tools to do it up right.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,597
    edited February 2019
    Options
    The can looks awesome. Too bad shipping and boarder fees are over the price of the product. Hopeuflly some resellers in Canada get it soon 
    My bet is Dickson may add this to their KAB lineup for GWN before long.
    https://dicksonbbq.com/search?q=kick+ash
    No customs hassle, brokerage fees, etc.  Free shipping for online purchase over $99 or pick up in store.
    (Disclosure: I'm 'biased')

canuckland
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Kick ash can....probably can live without it.  Surprised they didn’t make it like KJ’s setup, with the sliding clean out pan. I would buy one of those for my XL.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Kick ash can....probably can live without it.  Surprised they didn’t make it like KJ’s setup, with the sliding clean out pan. I would buy one of those for my XL.
    Wouldn’t this shape catch more
  • smittydog27
    Options
    i don't see the need....but I also have 7 grills/smokers on my deck.  LOL
  • 1911Man
    Options
    Need to do a good clean of my BGE tomorrow. My kick-ass basket is due to arrive mid-week. So I'll probably empty the coals from it before then. Just to make **** easier when I get it and go to use it for the first time.
  • kjs
    Options
    If they made the can for the MM I would probably buy it. The MM vent door is so small, getting and working the ash tool in there is a pain. I don’t have the same issue with L though.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    I'm not quite sure that can would be very easy to lift out. What can works for me is this 5 gallon metal can into which I shake my Kick Ash basket. 

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    kjs said:
    If they made the can for the MM I would probably buy it. The MM vent door is so small, getting and working the ash tool in there is a pain. I don’t have the same issue with L though.
    100% I use gloves and the basket as the tool is useless 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    3 eggs no KAB.  Use the ash tool for the large with a @caliking mod in Large,small and the mini.  When the time comes I spend 3 mins lifting the guts out and brushing clean with an old paint brush.  What is the attraction to the gadgets?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I’m going to make an app to clean the BGE 
  • builderdawg
    Options
    kjs said:
    Wow guys I am disappointed. Yesterday I saw Kick Ash has announced a new product, the Kick Ash Can. I thought surely someone would have created a thread, with some saying it looked great, others saying it looked pointless and others saying that their Rockwood does not create any ash what so ever. 

https://www.kickashbasket.com/store/product-detail.php?product_id=77

I’m going to have to invest in that.