Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacing Gasket(s)

Options
2»

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Magicman_007 do you cover your eggs when not in use?

the glazing popping off the dome is unusual , and could have been been a bad finish, or retained moisture in the ceramics could have caused it to pop off. 

There are many many effects rollimg with Rutland gaskets, and retained moisture in the gasket is unlikely to be a cause for cracking the base. We would have heard of it more by now, given how many of those gaskets are in use. 

A tip  I gleaned from someone here was to install the Rutland on the dome instead of the base. Bases crack a fair bit, but the dome rarely does. That way you don’t have to replace the Rutland if you have to change the base. 

Other option is to just go with a different type of gasket and see if you fare better. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Always confuses me when the gasket issue re-emerges.  Granted I’ve only been around here for 5 years and cooking on 3 eggs for 8, so I accept semi-newbie status.  But I’m perplexed.  I’ve cooked my OEM gaskets down to whatever is left of them, which is very little.  Yet my egg and cooks haven’t truly changed.  Pizzas, whatever.  Maybe it’s my eggs but I’ve never needed to replace my gaskets, despite buying new ones from Ron when I was caught up as a newbie.  Please let me know what situation requires replacing your gasket.  Asking for a friend.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Komokaegger
    Options
    I changed mine out because I was loosing smoke around the gap and also found it was taking a fair bit of time to shutdown because the gap was letting air in to keep the lump smouldering. Now that I have the Rutland on things are back to normal.
    Ontario, Canada
    XL- BGE
    CGS- AR, spider, PS WOO, 
    KAB
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I can see smoke rolling out of mine, oem gasket burnt to a crisp and falling apart, especially with controller wires. 
      I like the idea of Rutland on the lid, just need to get one on order.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Always confuses me when the gasket issue re-emerges.  Granted I’ve only been around here for 5 years and cooking on 3 eggs for 8, so I accept semi-newbie status.  But I’m perplexed.  I’ve cooked my OEM gaskets down to whatever is left of them, which is very little.  Yet my egg and cooks haven’t truly changed.  Pizzas, whatever.  Maybe it’s my eggs but I’ve never needed to replace my gaskets, despite buying new ones from Ron when I was caught up as a newbie.  Please let me know what situation requires replacing your gasket.  Asking for a friend.
    You know you would be a better cook, if you just had a gasket in good condition. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    caliking said:
    bgebrent said:
    You know you would be a better cook, if you just had a gasket in good condition. 
    Ashish, if only...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bgebrent
    Options
    The only thing this thread lacks is boobs.  Lots of chicken boobs.
  • HogFather
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    The only thing this thread lacks is boobs.  Lots of chicken boobs.

Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    #notevenclose hogboy.
  • HogFather
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    #notevenclose hogboy.
    My friends call me that. Thanks, friend 
    Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    HogFather said:
    bgebrent said:
    #notevenclose hogboy.
    My friends call me that. Thanks, friend 
    Gaskets are overrated.  Egg on.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Running 9 yrs on OEM gasket and it still works just fine. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    The question is, is there a gasket or not?
  • Tarpon65
    Tarpon65 Posts: 205
    Options
    I have had my large for 11-12 years and I'm probably on my 6th or 7th gasket.  I've used everything from OEM, to the one that Drumdude posted, and this morning I just installed my second Rutland that I got from RRP.  I use my egg 5-6 cooks per week, most cooks in the 325-400 degree range, and I'm happy to get a year or so out of each one.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Tarpon65 said:
    I have had my large for 11-12 years and I'm probably on my 6th or 7th gasket.  I've used everything from OEM, to the one that Drumdude posted, and this morning I just installed my second Rutland that I got from RRP.  I use my egg 5-6 cooks per week, most cooks in the 325-400 degree range, and I'm happy to get a year or so out of each one.
    That’s interesting.  Do you find a change in performance or significant air leakage in that time that requires a new gasket?  Most here with Rutlands proclaim their longevity.  Truly curious as my L, with a 0.5 underbite does well with no gasket after 5 years.
  • Tarpon65
    Tarpon65 Posts: 205
    Options
    I've never run it with no gasket, maybe I should just go to the dark side.  =)

The reason for today's gasket change was that my side started sticking around a month ago, and it got worse and worse after each cook, not sure if something was spilled on the gasket or not.  It go so bad last weekend that part of the gasket ripped off the bottom sticking to the top gasket.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Tarpon65 said:
    I've never run it with no gasket, maybe I should just go to the dark side.  =)

The reason for today's gasket change was that my side started sticking around a month ago, and it got worse and worse after each cook, not sure if something was spilled on the gasket or not.  It go so bad last weekend that part of the gasket ripped off the bottom sticking to the top gasket.
    That makes sense given the gap that ensued.  Thanks.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Tarpon65 said:

If you are only getting a year or so out of a Rutland then that tells me you probably not using enough Permatex. And next time some part of the Rutland lets loose there is no need to start all over with a new one. Just lift up the loose area carefully, squirt some Permatex under it, spread it around a little like you were buttering toast and press it back down, lay some foil over the repaired area and close your dome. Keep it closed for 24 hours and it should be rock solid to go for MUCH longer than any 1 year!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    My next kamado won't require a gasket. Blaze.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    Options
    So did anyone ever look into or try the lavalock xtr78?

I tried the rutland. it was fine but i hated the look of the adhesive coming through the gasket. either way, it ended up super compressed and flattened as i only used it on the bottom. I ordered the lavalock and will see how well it works and report back. I'm truly surprised at the lack of trying anything but rutland around here. 
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    kwdickert said:
    So did anyone ever look into or try the lavalock xtr78?

I tried the rutland. it was fine but i hated the look of the adhesive coming through the gasket. either way, it ended up super compressed and flattened as i only used it on the bottom. I ordered the lavalock and will see how well it works and report back. I'm truly surprised at the lack of trying anything but rutland around here. 
    Why try something different if virtually everyone praises the Rutland and you like yours?

I bought my large in August 2009 and the OEM felt went south soon thereafter. I replaced it with a Rutland in Dec 09 and it's still fine 10+ years later (I think @RRP has me by at least 6-8 years). Everything from 250° to 900° (platesetter legs down) cooks. And a clean burn or two.

As for trying others, no reason to. Rutland was the first (actually, the only) gasket I saw recommended at the time so I bought it. 79¢/ft at the hardware store. Yes, the orange adhesive oozed through a bit, but after a short while, its color changed to brown and then to black - can't even tell it's there. Perfect seal too. Still.

If this one ever dies, I'll buy another. No question.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Options
    I changed mine out because I was loosing smoke around the gap and also found it was taking a fair bit of time to shutdown because the gap was letting air in to keep the lump smouldering. Now that I have the Rutland on things are back to normal.
    I too find having good gaskets that it puts out my coal much quicker when I shut it down.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    Someone told me that too much Permatex makes it shine through the Rutland gasket.  As to the Rutland gasket soaking up water in the rain, both my Eggs have original gaskets that are wet after a rain storm.  I let them warm up slowly to dry them out. 
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • RRP
    Options
    rifrench said:
    Someone told me that too much Permatex makes it shine through the Rutland gasket.  As to the Rutland gasket soaking up water in the rain, both my Eggs have original gaskets that are wet after a rain storm.  I let them warm up slowly to dry them out. 
     Rutlands CAN'T absorb water...can't happen! PERIOD!
  • rifrench
    Options
    I believe you, I was referring to the felt like OEM gaskets.
  • RRP
    Options
    rifrench said:
    I believe you, I was referring to the felt like OEM gaskets.
    Excuse me!
  • rifrench
    Options
    LOL, no sweat man!   What is your take on mounting the Rutland to the top of the Egg, vs. the bottom?
    TIA, Rick
  • RRP
    edited May 2020
    Options
    rifrench said:
    LOL, no sweat man!   What is your take on mounting the Rutland to the top of the Egg, vs. the bottom?
    TIA, Rick

It's your call, but I'd rather have my gasket stationary and staying put rather than collecting debris to then be waved over my food. Besides being on the bottom then if it ever starts to deteriorate I will notice that far quicker than if it was on my dome since glancing at the underside of the dome is hard to do and out of sight out of mind. And lastly... I always tell people that it is not necessary to remove their dome, mess with their bands and run the risk of getting them out of sync. Besides if they did agree and not want to remove their bands and dome, then gravity is going to be a real bear trying to apply their gasket upside down. BUT if none of these pointers make sense to you then have at!