Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ultracompact Countertops... anyone ever heard of Dekton

Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
edited February 2019 in Off Topic
Thinking about installing these from Home Depot in my new place. The have a high gloss white called "HALO"  that my wife loves. 

Anyone know anything about them? They are marketed as having the most durability of any options.

https://www.dekton.com/usa/countertops/
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I like it!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Thinking about installing these from Home Depot in my new place. The have a high gloss white called "HALO"  that my wife loves. 

Anyone know anything about them? They are marketed as having the most durability of any options.

Curios, have you looked at quartz?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Curios, have you looked at quartz?
    Agree, we are putting quartz in our new house.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Thinking about installing these from Home Depot in my new place. The have a high gloss white called "HALO"  that my wife loves. 

Had a chance to talk to the rep at a cabinet show SWMBO was hosting. He showed me some picts of Dekton counters exposed to sunlight and elements for over 2 year with no effects at all.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Bruce built our outdoor kitchen in our last house by himself.  We didn't have a fully covered patio at the time, only a large pergola covering.  He first put in 10" tiles as the counter top, which didn't hold up very well due to the grout didn't hold up to the weather.  We replaced it with Dekton from HD which holds up to the elements very well.  We had a blackish color because the granite in our house was about that color.  I just talked to Bruce and he said that the only downsides to Dekton is that it's not as pretty as granite (which HD does NOT guarantee for outdoor use), but maybe the white color is prettier.  Also, it's only about 1/2-3/4" thick and doesn't have decorative edges.  It definitely served it's purpose and held up well, and was a major improvement over the tile.  In our new house, we put in granite and it's still looking great after a year and a half.  Just our two cents!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Another +1 for quartz. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    PM sent

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited February 2019
    Honestly I wouldn’t pay the guys at Home Depot to build a doghouse. Find a local place and skip the middle man. In my opinion, quality contractors don’t need or want Home Depot meddling in their business. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Honestly I wouldn’t pay the guys at Home Depot to build a doghouse. Find a local place and skip the middle man. In my opinion, quality contractors don’t need or want Home Depot meddling in their business. 
    I went to a highly rated local place and the installer they sent to my house said they do installations for homedepot also. I think they just sub it all out. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Lit said:
    I went to a highly rated local place and the installer they sent to my house said they do installations for homedepot also. I think they just sub it all out. 

Getting HD to do installs may work out just fine.  Or it may not.  In either case, you have an extra level of middle men to work through / fight with.  They will add a bunch of $ for being the middlemen.  The trades complete the installs have been so beat up on pricing by HD, they send their B team since the A team is on the good paying jobs(non home depot).

I've had a lot of experience with this, and would agree with @DoubleEgger
     - find the source and go direct.
    Phoenix 
  • Mattman3969
    blasting said:
    Lit said:

Getting HD to do installs may work out just fine.  Or it may not.  In either case, you have an extra level of middle men to work through / fight with.  They will add a bunch of $ for being the middlemen.  The trades complete the installs have been so beat up on pricing by HD, they send their B team since the A team is on the good paying jobs(non home depot).

We’re an installer for both big box stores and I can tell you  that their customers get the same service that my retail customers do. I don’t care where the customer comes from because their money is as hard earned as is mine 
    If you  r lucky enough to find an installer that gives a sh(t you can come out ohead 

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    blasting said:
    Lit said:

How many tops have you purchased through Depot?

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    blasting said:
    Lit said:

The pricing vs outside fab guys depends on sales and promos. Sometimes our retail pricing will best HD sometimes not, depends on promos. 

analyze adapt overcome

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited February 2019
    I bought mine through home depot.  I knew which installer they used.....biggest in stl, and where all the little guys source their stone from (ie. Who I was going to use anyway.)  It was 90sqft of silestone (quartz).  With the home depot promos at the time plus a 10% off lowes coupon, it was a lot cheaper to buy it through them.  
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

@Mattman3969  I was painting with a broad brush, and reading it back, I can understand that you'd take exception.  I meant no disrespect.  From what I know of you, you're a stand up guy, and I'd be pleased to have your company do my tops.

I'd say the fact that you put out a quality product makes you the exception, not the rule.  More commonly, when the box stores grind the trades on price, quality generally suffers.  And when box stores middle man the labor, prices are generally higher.

You asked about how many counters I've bought.  My experience comes from a competitive standpoint in the cabinet biz.  If I could get a customer who was on the fence to get a labor quote from HD, I knew the project was mine.  Maybe things have changed.  Later when we opened a remodel division, we used the same strategy.  If a customer didn't like a line item, say installing a new front door, or a bunch of windows.  Then we'd send them to HD for a quote.  After their middleman markup, our labor costs suddenly seemed reasonable.  Again, things may have changed.  However my companies success was in no small part to Home Depot's crazy high labor prices.
    Phoenix 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    edited February 2019
    Biggest thing I’m dealing with is that my wife is set on it and I also really like it. Everything else is secondary.

Home Depot only lists the prices including installation so there is no negotiating with the middle man.  And with Home Depot installing it, they back the installation. It’s a lot easier to hold HD accountable than a local contractor. Price is in-line with quartz from my local guy.

Fortunately, I have now spoken to or heard from a few people who have Dekton counter tops and they all seem happy.

Non porous, heat resistant and the high gloss pure white is unique.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    ...and “the wife wants it”.  Nuff said. Enjoy those counters Scott!  Hope to see you at BB. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Thatgrimguy said:
    It’s a lot easier to hold HD accountable than a local contractor.
    This is important to me because I have had poor luck with local contractors.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas