Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Hot Tubs OT

Options
Been doing a remodel on my house this summer, turning a 3 season screened in porch into a 4 season sun room.  Part of the project is also ripping out a deck and getting a patio installed.  Which will be nice because I will now have enough room to keep my LBGE, Blackstone griddle and Roccbox in one place.

One of the other items we are getting is a hot tub to put in between the patio and the fire pit we built last year.

Right now we are torn between a Hot Springs saltwater tub and a Bullfrog tub.  Does anyone have pros/cons of each?
Large BGE

Neenah, WI

Comments

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    I had a hot spring tub for over 20 years.  Thing was a champ!
    All I really had to replace was the cover.

2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    I currently have a Bullfrog and love it, you can change out the different jets while it's operating and move them to different seats.
    O-Town, FL

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I also had a Hot Springs Grandee model for 20+ years, if todays quality is as good as the past, you won't go wrong with a Hot Springs.
    The open seating in the Hot Springs is much better than the assigned seating in a lot of the spas on the market, It's nice to be able to sit anywhere without being forced into a lounge reclined seat.
    I wouldn't get too caught up in the # of jets hype. My tub had two 2.5 hp pumps and I can't recall the number of jets. Mine would seat 7 people and held 450 gallons of water.
    The Grandee is still available and appears to be very similar.
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    A friend of mine has a saltwater hot tub and loves it relative to fresh water. I agree that all the extra jets, lights, speakers, etc are not very important and I think a waste of money. Unless you routinely have hot tub parties, a tub for 2 will likely be best. Since you are remodeling you probably have planned well but keep in mind that many hot tubs need 220V, plus you need a convenient way to drain and refill the tub. I am not sure how draining a saltwater tub affects landscaping.
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    @Stoogie what did you decide?  Do you have pics?  We are also now considering a hot tub
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    booksw said:
    @Stoogie what did you decide?  Do you have pics?  We are also now considering a hot tub
    We went with the Bullfrog, model A8 hot tub and love it.  It's used every couple days now by someone in the house.  The reason why we went with the Bullfrog was the ability to switch out the jetpacks.  The dealer has been awesome and they have a "library" of jetpacks that we can use at no charge, 30 days at a time.  So we've tried some different jetpacks, enjoyed them, and then returned back to the dealer.  Easy.

As far as maintaining a hot tub, that is something I'm still on the learning curve with.  Those stupid test strips never show that I have enough chemicals in the water so finding, and keeping, the right balance has been difficult for me so far.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • booksw
    Options
    Thanks!  Are you using chlorine, bromine, or salt?  I am thinking a big part of the decision will need to be how easy it is to work with the dealer?  We haven’t met the local bullfrog dealer yet but that is on the list for this weekend.  Great to be able to test out different jet packs!  Do you have it set up near your egg?  We want to set up an outdoor kitchen/hot tub space.  Since so many Egg dealers also sell hot tubs, I have been surprised how hard it has been to get set up ideas online. @AlbertaEgger what a GREAT pic
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Stoogie said:
    booksw said:
    We went with the Bullfrog, model A8 hot tub and love it.  It's used every couple days now by someone in the house.  The reason why we went with the Bullfrog was the ability to switch out the jetpacks.  The dealer has been awesome and they have a "library" of jetpacks that we can use at no charge, 30 days at a time.  So we've tried some different jetpacks, enjoyed them, and then returned back to the dealer.  Easy.

As far as maintaining a hot tub, that is something I'm still on the learning curve with.  Those stupid test strips never show that I have enough chemicals in the water so finding, and keeping, the right balance has been difficult for me so far.
    If they are showing low, put more in. We also have a floater with chlorine tablets in it that give a background dose of chlorine 24 hours a day.
  • Stoogie
    Options
    booksw said:
    Thanks!  Are you using chlorine, bromine, or salt?  I am thinking a big part of the decision will need to be how easy it is to work with the dealer?  We haven’t met the local bullfrog dealer yet but that is on the list for this weekend.  Great to be able to test out different jet packs!  Do you have it set up near your egg?  We want to set up an outdoor kitchen/hot tub space.  Since so many Egg dealers also sell hot tubs, I have been surprised how hard it has been to get set up ideas online. @AlbertaEgger what a GREAT pic
    Using chlorine.

I'll get some pictures and post them when I get home, but I have my egg in the same vicinity - back patio.  My hot tub is in between my house and fire pit and my egg is closer to the house.  The whole thing is still a work in progress because we didn't get the patio poured until mid-October and by the time the curing/sealing process was over it was late-October, mid-November.

Which ever way you go, just make sure you have a good dealer who won't act inconvenienced when you have questions or problems...just like people are told here who are buying an Egg.  The better your dealer is, the better your experience will be.  
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • Stoogie
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Stoogie said:
    booksw said:

If they are showing low, put more in. We also have a floater with chlorine tablets in it that give a background dose of chlorine 24 hours a day.
    I do put more in.

I think my problem is that I follow directions to the "T".  The directions I was given said that I had to check the chemical levels once a week, so I did.  Now that I'm checking it much more often, the levels are getting there, but I'm still having to add the pH up stuff and it's still hard to keep the levels for me, but I'm improving.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • Eoin
    Options
    Stoogie said:7
    Eoin said:
    Stoogie said:
    booksw said:

I do put more in.

I think my problem is that I follow directions to the "T".  The directions I was given said that I had to check the chemical levels once a week, so I did.  Now that I'm checking it much more often, the levels are getting there, but I'm still having to add the pH up stuff and it's still hard to keep the levels for me, but I'm improving.
    It's like the Egg, you have to get a feel for it. When it's being used frequently, I check it daily, sometimes twice if used heavily on a particular day.
  • booksw
    Options
    @Eoin is your hot tub set up near your egg?  Do you have a photo?  Thanks!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • eggsurance_agent
    Options

I do put more in.

If you're using chlorine, just throw some shock in it. About a tablespoon per 50 gallons with the jets running. Will help you get it started better. 
    LBGE
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Troublefreepool.com has great advice for pools and hot tubs . 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Options
    we had a bull frog put in last summer. Everyone we know that had hot tubs had the BF. They all raved about the place that we bought from.

I wish I had done more due diligence on the patio installer. Nothing but problems with him.
  • booksw
    Options
    @dannys did the patio installation impact the function of the hot tub? Is that going ok?
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    edited February 2019
    Options
    This is a good resource for anyone going forward with pavers
    https://www.icpi.org/
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• dannys
    Options
    The patio did impact the installation of the hot tub. We needed to have some leveling done before we could finish the install and fill it up.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I broke out with red spots when I used bromine, so I switched to chlorine based spa chemicals.  Had my best luck treating with dichlor granules.  Cheap and easy to keep spa in the correct range.
    Had a problem with suds in spa (soap stays in swimming suits), until I convinced wife we had to only use in the buff.  No more suds problems! :)
  • booksw
    Options
    dannys said:
    The patio did impact the installation of the hot tub. We needed to have some leveling done before we could finish the install and fill it up.
    Did you use pavers?  How do you think you would you have been able to predict the installers ability better?  I would think there is a benefit to a small grade in a patio so rain runs off- only the area under the hot tub would have to be level, and it would be tricky to accomplish both?
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Eoin
    Options
    booksw said:
    dannys said:
    Did you use pavers?  How do you think you would you have been able to predict the installers ability better?  I would think there is a benefit to a small grade in a patio so rain runs off- only the area under the hot tub would have to be level, and it would be tricky to accomplish both?
    Mine's pretty much level. The slabs are loose laid, no jointing, so water can drain through to the sub base. Maybe not a good idea in really cold parts of the US, we don't get a lot of really heavy frosts here in the UK.

Put the power in under the pavers as well, keeps the installation neat.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Delete. Duplicate post
  • dannys
    Options
    booksw said:
    dannys said:
    Yes, we used pavers. I don't know how I would have been able to predict the outcome any better.  The installer came highly recommended "I've used him for 20 years", etc. When I looked at the installation he did for her, I was disappointed but I trusted her. She turned us on to other really good contractors.

If I mentioned it once, I mentioned it a dozen time. We want to put a hot tub on this patio". "We're putting a hot tub here". "This is where the hot tub is going". IMHO if you are sayin that, you want a flat and level surface. In the end, that area was not flat nor level. It had a crown that required leveling on two dimensions.

The crown was able to be worked around, but the pavers were not put down in the correct pattern. Even though my wife pointed it out to him early and he pulled them up , the later tiles were a horror show.

I was there when he talked our the irrigation guy. They discussed how to re-work the wiring to the affected portions. Yet, when I went to look at the progress, the wires to the sprinkler system, were coiled up against the foundation. He had to rip up even more tiles to bury the wiring.

It was a horror show that I hope never to repeat!
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I broke out with red spots when I used bromine, so I switched to chlorine based spa chemicals.  Had my best luck treating with dichlor granules.  Cheap and easy to keep spa in the correct range.
    Had a problem with suds in spa (soap stays in swimming suits), until I convinced wife we had to only use in the buff.  No more suds problems! :)
    Reminds me of my college days.  We would bring the girls back to the house to get into the pool.  Told them no clothes because it would mess up the filter.  It was a 10x10 blow up pool. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Eoin said:

No, the Eggs are near the house and the tub is around 100 feet up the garden. Frosty early morning picture.

Damn.  That is beautiful.
    What's in the hut?  Sauna? Changing room? Beer Fridge?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    An elevator entrance 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Mine was way too effing hot Saturday night. SWMBO should have believed me when I warned her not to follow my mistaken attempt to get in. More worthless “I told you so” rights. 

Long story, as they always are. Fortunately, there was so much evaporation I was able by re-filling to bring it down to a bearable 104!

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Using chlorine.
    @Stoogie , I've had a tub for 20 years and I still use the chemical advice my dealer gave me long ago.  Whenever I stray from it, bad things happen...
    I add chemicals once a week. (Unless I have more than two people in there and then I shock it with an extra does after everybody gets out.)
    • Once a week I add a cap full of Chlorinating Concentrate (SpaGuard item)
    • The next week I add a cap full of Oxidizer (SpaGuard item)
    • alternate those two every other week.
    That's it. Over the years I probably migrated from one brand to another but the chemical listed is the same. 
    The only thing I use those test strips for is to check the PH/alkalinity. And do that  before you have added the chlorine or oxidizer. 
    That'll keep your tub clear. If you miss that you'll get a cloudy tub...  if you miss it for several weeks you'll get a black gelatinous moldy growth like you've never seen.  The things that can grow in the dark at 104 degrees are scary, let me tell you!
    LBGE/Maryland