Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uncooked Pork Butt Fridge Life?

Options
So I'm going to be smoking up two butts for my twin boys 2nd birthday party on the 23rd. I got a little ahead of myself and bought two 8.5lb butts, on the 9th. They're cryovac'd, hanging out in the fridge, but it says on the package to use by the 15th. Should I just smoke these up this weekend to give to coworkers/family, and get new ones for the party? I've kept briskets sealed for a while in the fridge, but 14 days on pork and not wanting to get anyone sick has me seconding guessing myself... it's not like it's expensive or hard to come by.  
Haddon Township, NJ

Comments

• 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    Is the use by date from the label the store put on it, or from the place that put it into the bag?? IME/IMO, the stores put a more conservative date on cryobags than is often needed. I've had beef in the cryobag for weeks without any issue. But I've not had pork from one in some time.
    Were the butts in the meat case, or did you get them pulled from the walk-in? I think that would have more impact than being in the bag. Basically, I get the tenderloins (in the cryobag) from the walk-in (since I pick through several to get the one I want).
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    Kupkaked said:
    So I'm going to be smoking up two butts for my twin boys 2nd birthday party on the 23rd. I got a little ahead of myself and bought two 8.5lb butts, on the 9th. They're cryovac'd, hanging out in the fridge, but it says on the package to use by the 15th. Should I just smoke these up this weekend to give to coworkers/family, and get new ones for the party? I've kept briskets sealed for a while in the fridge, but 14 days on pork and not wanting to get anyone sick has me seconding guessing myself... it's not like it's expensive or hard to come by.  
    I think you answered your own question with these words:
    but 14 days on pork and not wanting to get anyone sick has me seconding guessing myself... it's not like it's expensive or hard to come by. 
    Why take even a small chance?

• Kupkaked
    Options
    The label is from the store (Wegmans). They have a large refrigerated meat section with open shelves where you get them in the vac bags or a meat counter to get them fresh, wrapped in butcher paper. So I guess it would be walk-in, as I sort them too to find the size I want. 
    Haddon Township, NJ
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    cook it, foodsaver it, reheat for the party. i would get that done ahead of time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kupkaked
    Kupkaked Posts: 33
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I think you answered your own question

Yep, pretty sure I answered my own question. You're right, why even take the chance.  
    Haddon Township, NJ
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    They're cryovac'd, hanging out in the fridge, but it says on the package to use by the 15th.

Use by or sell by ? Most meat I have seen is marked with a sell by date, not a use by date.  Pork butts are often marked with a sell by date of at least a month past the packing date.  Check the cryovac to see if it has a packing date.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I agree with fishless - cook it this weekend, vacuum seal it, then serve for your party next weekend.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Some say 'use or freeze by date'. I have no problem leaving beef in fridge for extended period but not pork. I know it sounds silly but I'd freeze and defrost 3-4 days before I cook. Or, since you're in NJ, leaving it in an unheated garage will probably keep it semi frozen till needed?
    canuckland
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    How is this different from "Wet aging" a cryo vac'd brisket?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    thetrim said:
    i see anyone with two years old opening the cryo, thinking it smells funky, and tossing anyways where some of us would give it a rinse, and just cook it.  if the aged bag starts to bloat then thats a different story
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    This is exactly what I'm doing for an eggfest this weekend. I cooked pork on Monday and vacuumed sealed. Using tomorrow for the fest. Easy peasy 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    thetrim said:
    different animals?
    canuckland
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    Out the cryo, season it like you are going to smoke it, then freeze. Thaw out the day before