Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Beef Ribs

Options
bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited February 2019 in EggHead Forum

Getting a membership at Restaurant Depot, I feel the prices are what I'm willing to pay for things like ribs. With that, I picked up 4 racks of Superior Angus Chuck Short Ribs. These were $4.40/ lb.

I did some reading here and ended up with removing the membrane and trimming any silver skin. I used my brisket rub and put on at 260 degrees and took 4.5 hours. Pulled at 183 degrees IT.

Will be eating in 5.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Looking good!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Ya, you’re gonna love those...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Komokaegger
    Options
    I had braised short ribs at a restaurant the other night. They were very tasty and made me wonder how they would be done on the egg.  How were they?
    Ontario, Canada
    XL- BGE
    CGS- AR, spider, PS WOO, 
    KAB
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Good looking grub.   Enjoy!
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • bigguy136
    Options

Here is the finish.

Not sure they are for me. They were tender and flavorful but I prefer the flavor of pork ribs or brisket. Maybe I'm stuck on brisket when it comes to beef?? Maybe I'm too cheap to spend the extra on beef ribs? Maybe my expectations were too high??

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Now thats a Super Bowl snack. Looks great.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Beautiful cook!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Komokaegger
    Options
    They look delicious!
    Ontario, Canada
    XL- BGE
    CGS- AR, spider, PS WOO, 
    KAB
  • etherdome
    Options
    Looks great! What does your brisket rub consist of? Most of the time just salt and pepper or maybe some sort of coffee rub do it  for me on beef ribs. Looks like a great smoke ring. What type of wood did you use? Oak is my go to for beef ribs. Lastly, if I’m  not mistaken, an internal temp of 200 ish is what most people shoot for on these.  All that being said, they may just not be your thing.  Cooking them as I have described above has my two boys and wife begging for them more so than other things. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • TexasisBestest
    Options
    bigguy136 said:

Here is the finish.

Not sure they are for me. They were tender and flavorful but I prefer the flavor of pork ribs or brisket. Maybe I'm stuck on brisket when it comes to beef?? Maybe I'm too cheap to spend the extra on beef ribs? Maybe my expectations were too high??

Just my two cents. Those aren't done yet . The fat in the muscles should be essentially butter.  You should nearly be able to pull them apart with your fingers.  Beef ribs have more flavor than brisket when done correctly in my opinion. I do BOTH but they cook similar, if those bones tug when you pull them out they need more time.... Just again my two cents.
    Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
    Tech:  EggGenius and Thermoworks Smoke w Gateway
    Lump: Rockwood/Fogo
    Wood: Cherry, Apple, PostOak, Pecan
    Meat: Costco, Deep Cuts
    Rubs: Meat Church, HardcoreCarnivore, John Henry's
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Those look great!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Did you pull them based on temp or tenderness? They look good but I have learned that they are not ready until the probe like butter.
  • bigguy136
    Options
    The rib bones came clean with a slight tug and they probed with little resistance but not like butter. Maybe I try 1 more swing at them??

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    bigguy136 said:
    The rib bones came clean with a slight tug and they probed with little resistance but not like butter. Maybe I try 1 more swing at them??
    Do that.  Toothpick probing like warm butter finish.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga