Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lack of smoke taste

Options
I've had an XL for over a year.  Love it. But have been disappointed with lack of smoke on cooks when I want it. Past experience includes smoking brisket on a weber(it was awesome) and smoking brisket, pork butts, chicken and salmon on an electric smoker.  I've tried mixing chunks(6-8 hickory, pecan) within the lump(RO) and sprinkled on top. Also sprinkled chips  with little or no success. Even tried sticking a smoke tube in the lower draft door. I See the smoke,  smell the smoke but little or no taste. Think trying to smoke elevated in the dome might help???
Almost considering smoking in the electric or on the weber as before.
No water pan, just air gapped drip pan.
Just didn't think achieving smoke flavor was going to be so challenging.
Enjoy the forum and all the shared info.

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I am perplexed by your issue. I did beef jerky last weekend and mixed hickory chunks into the lump. Came out nicely smoked - just shy of too strong for my liking, and I use a very neutral lump. 

The only suggestion I can offer is to: i) ensure your temps are in the good egg smoking zone - 250-275 or so, and ii) ensure your meat is wet, as wet meat absorbs more smoke flavour. 

Good luck!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Welcome!

How low are you placing your chunks? It could be possible that the chunks are too low in the lump and don't even have a chance to ignite 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I've noticed I need to take a shower and change clothes after a long cook and before eating as I get desensitized to the smoke throughout the day.
    Mountain View, CA
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Smoke is more complicated that you’d think. White billowing smoke doesn’t taste good, I like adding lots of chunks of wood at the bottom of my KAB and then filling with charcoal, I put the meat on once the smoke is clear blue 

Have you tried spritzing your meat with water?  This helps the bark form and allows more smoke to penetrate the meat.... if the outside dries up you can smoke all you want but no more flavour will get into your food. 

Lastly, resting the meat helps the smoke flavour set. I wrap larger proteins and let them rest. 

If none of this helps, try a different brand of charcoal as they all have their own smoke profile and you might just be missing that 
  • GoBadgers1
    Options
    Yes I am also confused about this. I will say I have not started with chunks on the fire grate before, guess that's the next option. Last weekend I tried smoking salmon. Built a small fire(RO) sprinkled cherry chips and put a chunk of of hickory on fire. Temp was in the 220 range.
    Also put smoke tube in the ash area which burned for at least an hour. When I opened the egg the smoke literally burned my eyes.
    End result, basically baked salmon. Not hardly a hint of smoke.  Any chance my heat deflector is too big and the smoke is literally blowing right past my protein??? Hard to believe, but at this point I'm about to try anything. Even thought about a more smokey lump, like cowboy.
    I use the bigger stone from cgs. Maybe 19".
    Thanks for your replies
  • TexasisBestest
    Options
    I used to have the same perception. 1. Try pecan or post oak chunks, baseball sized. Mix in with the lump in different levels. Light your fire only in 1 spot and wait till about a baseball sized amt is burning before adding place setter. 2. Try adding a low profile (cookie sheet height) water tray. Fill 75% full before adding grate.  3. Make sure you have a super coarse rub.  Meat church Holy cow is a good start. 4. Use fogo charcoal. Flavor profile is VERY different from Royal Oak. 5. As stated, spritz meat with apple juice right before smoking. Dont saturate, just wet it. 6. Longer meat cooks the smoker it gets. Cook low and slow vs fast and hot. A lot of tech options to hold 225 forever. 

Mistakes: 1. Using chips vs chunks. They burn off too fast. 2. Not enough moisture. 3. Igniting too much charcoal to start. Those are things I noticed affect my flavor and smoke creation.

Experiment with different amounts of lump. Depending  on what you cook, a smaller fire has to burn hotter than a larger one to produce the same amount of heat. Smaller fire and higher chunk distribution might help match what you're used to.
    Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
    Tech:  EggGenius and Thermoworks Smoke w Gateway
    Lump: Rockwood/Fogo
    Wood: Cherry, Apple, PostOak, Pecan
    Meat: Costco, Deep Cuts
    Rubs: Meat Church, HardcoreCarnivore, John Henry's
  • GoBadgers1
    Options
    Thanks for the info.  How many baseball sized chunks for a brisket? Also is water pan right on platesetter or air gapped?
  • Dwdude102
    Options
    I think you were mentioning this, but I’ve elevated with great success. The first few briskets I did, I got zero smoke ring. Fat side up. When I elevated it, smoke ring appeared and it was getting a bit too Smokey. Try doing that. My thought was like yours, that with a drip tray, not much smoke was getting to the bottom of the meat. I think that will solve it bc it did for me
  • TexasisBestest
    Options
    Thanks for the info.  How many baseball sized chunks for a brisket? Also is water pan right on platesetter or air gapped?
    For a brisket I personally use 3. At 225 a 20# brisket will cook approx 14 hours and have plenty of smokiness. I personally add the chunks at 2, 6, and 10 o clock and out the lump around them. You can use as many as you like, if your preference is more smoke do 5.
    Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
  • TexasisBestest
    Options
    Dwdude102 said:
    I think you were mentioning this, but I’ve elevated with great success. The first few briskets I did, I got zero smoke ring. Fat side up. When I elevated it, smoke ring appeared and it was getting a bit too Smokey. Try doing that. My thought was like yours, that with a drip tray, not much smoke was getting to the bottom of the meat. I think that will solve it bc it did for me
    This too.  Use a smaller profile tray. Also, consider trimming the fat substantially more than usual. I have some with FANTASTIC results and no loss to moisture. The smoke will penetrate much more. 
    Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
  • jrb06
    jrb06 Posts: 52
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I typically do not place my chunks in until I am ready to place the meat on. Several chunks thrown on top of fire and then by the time I get the deflector and everything  back in place the chunks have started to take off, good smoke from there on out. 

You from or live in Wi? A born and raised Badger here living in Sun Prairie 
  • GoBadgers1
    Options
    Thanks for all the help. Going to give these thoughts a try. Been saving a prime brisket till I figure this smoke out. 
    Jrbo6, I'm originally from Hudson. Now in Farmington, Mn.
    Thanks again