Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef ribs, how long?

Options
I would like to cook some beefs ribs. I wasn’t even sure if my local grocery store carried them but I looked and they do. How long should I expect them to take to cook and what IT do they need to come off?

Comments

• TexasisBestest
    Options
    About 5 hours if it's a plate. Just like brisket, use a temp and smoke/cook until they hit 185/190. Start to probe untill they're buttery loose. Rest for an hour then go to town. If they're prime grade they are tough to screw up honestly if you low and slow em.
    Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
    Tech:  EggGenius and Thermoworks Smoke w Gateway
    Lump: Rockwood/Fogo
    Wood: Cherry, Apple, PostOak, Pecan
    Meat: Costco, Deep Cuts
    Rubs: Meat Church, HardcoreCarnivore, John Henry's
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    275* roughly 5-6 hours. Finish temp around 200-205 or until they probe like butter
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Depends on how big they are......
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I did these a few days ago....it was a full 6 hours at 260/280.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    Thanks, I hope to find time this weekend to cook some. 
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    @GaBGE which grocery store are you referring to?  I've only been able to find them at Restaurant Depot in Atlanta, and those are around $8 a pound.  Hard to pay that when their brisket is $2.50, so I usually put the ribs back and grab a few packers! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    Options
    A nice meaty rib, at 265-275 should take about 6 hours. This one did:
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    IMHO if you're cooking beef back ribs, I cook them just like pork ribs.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Whatever beef rib cut you have, toothpick test for the win.  Beat their pork cousins every time.  Enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @GoooDawgs we only have a family owned independent grocery store.

The beef ribs they have look more like pork ribs in relation to size and are flat like spare ribs versus the curve of baby’s backs and have flat bones. The whole slab is about 4 inches by 12 inches, and are $4 a pound. What cut if beef rib is this?
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    Slippy said:
    A nice meaty rib, at 265-275 should take about 6 hours. This one did:
    WOW! That looks awesome!!!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    GaBGE said:

The beef ribs they have look more like pork ribs in relation to size and are flat like spare ribs versus the curve of baby’s backs and have flat bones. The whole slab is about 4 inches by 12 inches, and are $4 a pound. What cut if beef rib is this?
    They might be a smallish portion of beef back ribs. If they are thin, and don't have much meat, that would be a sign. They are what is leftover from cutting the meat away from rib eye steaks. Often, very good meat, essentially steak, but not much of it. once in a great while, they will not be just leftovers, but trimmed to leave a thicker layer of meat. I usually cook those maybe 2 hrs. They get a little over done for steak meat, but they tend to be really greasy otherwise.

Short ribs come in 2 types, plate and chuck. Thinest I've seen them was maybe 1 1/2" thick, usually more like 3". Usually have several layers of muscle and some fat between the ayers. Never found any like Slippy shows.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    GaBGE said:

Probably finger ribs.  Meat between the bones, not a big chunk on top.  I think they’re tougher to cook well, you’re probably going to want to wrap in foil early and add some liquid.  I’ve only cooked them once or twice.

Google beef finger ribs and see if the pics match up with what you have.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Youtube.  Franklin BBQ video

Follow time and temp guide exactly

Be a god
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Don't know if mentioned in the Franklin video but remove the membrane (just like pork ribs).  That cut sounds like back ribs and they take every bit of 4-5 hrs at 250*F on the dome.  Toothpick for the win, however long it takes.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    4” x 12” is either one beef rib, or 4-5 ribs if cut perpendicular to the rib. A pic would help. 

If it’s cut lengthwise, the beef will shrink on the bone and get much thicker as you cook it. 

If you can get a full slab go for it. You can cook the whole darn thing, or break it down to whatever portions you need. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    edited February 2019
    Options
    These slabs I broke down into smaller pieces and trimmed. Damn beef ribs are awesome. 

As far as time, plan for around 4 hours, give or take, depending on temp and how you’re cooking them. You can braise or smoke or whatever you need. They are forgiving, but if you go too far they can end up like shredded stew meat. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Mine went about 9 hours. They were 3 rib beef plate:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1217857/srf-beef-plate-ribs#latest
    Mountain View, CA
  • steel_egg
    Options
    Thanks for the question. Doing some tomorrow with baby backs and was trying to figure out timing. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,042
    Options
    If you can find a butcher, you want 123A plate ribs.  Should be 4 ribs (sometimes called plate ribs).  Most grocery stores carry carry a different cut without near the meat.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RiverBBQ
    RiverBBQ Posts: 191
    Options
    3-2-1 method. Some say for competition only but if I have the time and patience they are always perfect. Same way I do pork. And I also don’t season like beef. I use same rub as pork. We like sweet down here.
    You can’t get to Loganville, Ga from anywhere. You have to start somewhere else
  • Eggcelent
    Options
    Other than temperature, cooking time depends most on 1) if you leave the ribs attached or if you cut them, 2) if you use a water plate, and 3) if you have any racks above your main rack. When I smoked attached ribs at 225-250 on my XL, and pulled at 203, it took about 8 hours. But a lot of that was because the water-filled drip pan soaked up a lot of heat, and so did the aluminum roasting pan I had on the rack above. 6-7 hours sounds about right for attached long-cut short ribs. I just made some last week and they came out great.