Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Post your favourite food prep and storage tips here

2»

Comments

• CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 6,998
    Just before launching the pizza, lift one corner and blow under so it floats like a hovercraft momentarily. Works like a charm for me.
    Either you’re pulling our legs or you’re full of hot air - literally. 
    https://community.fornobravo.com/forum/brick-oven-cooking/get-cooking/3222-blow-away-your-stuck-pizza
    canuckland
  • @Botch, @Canugghead: One of you folks seriously needs to demo this sorcery.
  • My tip is to use gaffer tape rather than painters tape.

gaffer tape is great for a more permanent label, but if you are reusing your canisters and putting in things that spoil in a few weeks, painters tape is the better option.

^^^ This. 
  • SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 2,285
    Botch said:
    Most of us here make pizzas on our Eggs, so we must include here the most stunning, sublime, and succinct food preparation wisdom ever condensed into a mere 56 seconds.

I'm still left breathless, every time I see that.  
    This is an incredible life hack, thank you for sharing.

I have been searching forever for a method to create a FOUR, yes 4, cheese blend.  If you come across one please post up.
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 9,982
    blasting said:
    Botch said:
    Most of us here make pizzas on our Eggs, so we must include here the most stunning, sublime, and succinct food preparation wisdom ever condensed into a mere 56 seconds.

That's up there with they dude who washes his chicken with dishsoap.

Forgive him! He's a Gators' fan.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SonVoltSonVolt Posts: 2,098
    You can skip the painters' tape and write directly on the plastic lids with dry erase markers.

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • @nolaegghead I like your style but I can’t let that ride 
     electrical what?
    It's filled with electrons, of course.
    Positive?  [I'm getting such a charge out of this!]
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 8,047
    Griffin said:
    vb4677 said:
    Griffin said:
    I’ll get the ball rolling....

Keep a Sharpie and painter’s tape in the kitchen drawer. Can label any and all items with date to keep tabs on how long it’s been in the fridge or freezer.

I do the same thing when I harvest yeast when I'm making beer. Store it in mason jars and right down the date it was harvested, what strand of yeast it is and how many times its been used. I've got like 10 jars of yeast in the garage/beer fridge and tis easy to lose track of what each one is and how old it is and if I need to make a starter to wake the yeast up before brewing a new batch.
    Potential Hijack:  How do you harvest your yeast? Do you 'rinse' it?

I've either made an initial starter and saved some for later, or just caught it out of the fermentor and reused it for the same or similar beer...

But the reason I ask, is I had a lid really pop up on one of my Mason jars - in the fridge... so apparently there was some fermenting left to do...

I rinsed it once and it was a bigger pain than it was worth.

Now, I just leave a bit of wort in the fermenter when I rack it off to bottle. Swirl up the wort and pour it into sanitized mason jars. Don't seal the lids down all the way. I tighten them up, then back it off a bit. This allows some gas (CO2) to escape. Stick it in the fridge and a few days later, tighten them down. I suspect that's what happened to you. I've had one pop up before after it took it out on brew day and allowed it to come up to temp. I think I might have tightened the lid down as soon as I poured it in and didn't let it "gass" out in the fridge. I've never had one pop up in the fridge.

I brew 2.5 gallon batches and can usually fill up 4 8oz mason jars.

I have a 14 gallon cronical fermenator, is it as easy as dumping some of the trub/ yeast into a sterile mason jar leaving the lid loose (a couple days) and refrigerator? The beer forums are so intense! I always pitch a new yeast but I have always wanted to reuse

Yes, its that easy. But keep an eye on how old the yeast is. If it gets too old, you'll need to make a starter to wake it back up. The calculator on Mr. Malty can help you figure out if its too old/how viable it is.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SlippySlippy Posts: 214
    Botch said:

These pro chefs always make it look so easy.... Don't expect your first batch to go this well... 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 32,827
    @nolaegghead I like your style but I can’t let that ride 
     electrical what?
    Negative 

• @nolaegghead I like your style but I can’t let that ride 
     electrical what?
    “Dad jokes, activate!”
  • BotchBotch Posts: 9,419
    nolaegghead said: It's filled with electrons, of course. 
    Ohm-mygawd, that's funny!  :D
    protons = positive, electrons = negative

• Neutrons? 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
  • Let’s not forget neutrons 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
    Let’s not forget neutrons 
    They weigh heavily on me but I don't get a charge out of them.

A neutron is a proton that shot its load...

• My dog is neutron
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
  • @nolaegghead my cats are literally crawling the walls with this cold weather lock down. They usually bang outside all day.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
    edited February 2019
    @nolaegghead my cats are literally crawling the walls with this cold weather lock down. They usually bang outside all day.
    Yeah, we had the Bengal in the house for the better part of two days.  He usually hunts the neighbor's cat Walley outside to fight him, catch birds, climb trees and houses and stuff.  So stuck inside he tortured our other three in the house, knocked stuff over and howled.   He's not a regular cat.