Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this week's weather going to inhibit your BGE cooking plans?

Options
westernbbq
westernbbq Posts: 2,490
edited January 2019 in EggHead Forum
I am watching the forecasts on a national basis and can't believe how cold it is supposed to get in the Midwest and Northeast.

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Yes.....gonna definitely do a beef stew for sure. Its winter comfort food you no.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Gonna snow tomorrow. Time for another Turkey. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    I figure if I light all the eggs and stand in the middle that they'll keep me warm... :)

I have no plans to cook on the egg Tues-Thurs, but I am going to knock out some chicken and pork tonight so that I won't starve
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    😹Nope

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've cooked in weather as cold, but that was maybe 15 years ago, and I'm not nearly as spry as I was then. Will be looking for things to bake in the oven, just to keep the house warm.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    The kid got another day off school today as temps hit -40, wish I could say the same for work. We've been lucky up until the last couple weeks. Car didn't want to start this a.m. and when it did it wasn't happy. Not gonna bother with the egg until the weekend
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    We're looking at a high on Wednesday of around -10 and 40 - 50 below with windchill at the morning bus stop forecast. Wife's birthday is Wednesday also so if she wants a steak she will get it, otherwise I'll probably stay inside. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• EggbertGreenII
    Options
    Nope
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    forecast is 70F on Sunday, so nope

Options
    the egg is between the door and the woodshed so its on the way anyways
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Saying snow tomorrow morning.  Schools already closing. The wife just called and said the grocery store looks like she just missed the looters.  SMH.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    As long as it's below 5 degrees F, it'll be flip flop weather.
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Saying snow tomorrow morning.  Schools already closing. The wife just called and said the grocery store looks like she just missed the looters.  SMH.

Now that is funny.
  • GATraveller
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I won't be Egging today, tomorrow or Thursday as all temps are below zero with double digit negatives here in the land of the wind-chill-factor.

It's supposed to be in the thirties this weekend, I'll light a fire again then.

I'll be cooking inside as a course of selfdefense. Beef stew tomorrow and brisket chili Thursday. I spatched a chicken last night, while egging some chops, for tonight.

Stay warm friends.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    The weather won't but the Super Bowl-derived traffic will probably keep me at home.  So if I'm missing an ingredient for whatever cook I've planned, I'll cook something else.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    DFW so weather won't be an issue. Egg on!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    I live in Chicago. Wednesday night after work I am going to attempt a slab of ribs on my medium. The temperature is expected to be -15/-20.

I'll post it on a new thread just to show everyone here an attempt at extreme egging. 

To be completely honest, I expect the dome to cool off so quickly it will make the thermometer useless. I'll have to start the lump really slowly so anything ceramic doesn't crack. 
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    bobroo said:
    I live in Chicago. Wednesday night after work I am going to attempt a slab of ribs on my medium. The temperature is expected to be -15/-20.

I'll post it on a new thread just to show everyone here an attempt at extreme egging. 

To be completely honest, I expect the dome to cool off so quickly it will make the thermometer useless. I'll have to start the lump really slowly so anything ceramic doesn't crack. 
    no real issues with the egg. dont touch any metal part with bare hands. frost bite on my hand from last winters 20 below stretch is still giving me troubles
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    bobroo said:

You might be surprised. As fishlessman mentioned, the Egg doesn't react. Some years ago, I did burgers w. a -13F windchill, just to flip winter the bird. Tomorrow will be much worse, but in the previous attempt, there wasn't any problem at all as far as the Egg went. The hardest part was there was packed snow almost up to the felt line, and bending over to turn the burgers was awkward.

2" of snow did melt around the Egg shell.

If what the weather reports are saying is right, the hardest part will be not exposing skin.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Fake news.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    bobroo said:

The only damage issue in freezing weather is if you have excessive moisture in the ceramic turning into ice.

Ceramic is a solid below 2000-3000 F.  If you start the fire at 100F, 0 F or -100 F, that ceramic doesn't give a rat's ass, it's well below the melting point and it doesn't correlate in any way with the freezing point of water.

Your thermometer is measuring the air temp when running indirect.  The ceramic will probably run less hot at -20 than it does at 80F, but it just means you'll burn more fuel for the same setpoint temperature than you otherwise would.
    Options
    Ya, its in the 40s here today. Might need to wear some gloves and a beanie to grill my chicken tonight.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    Cooking in this now... see no reason to change course for the weekend

• GATraveller
    Options
    You folks dealing with the real cold please stay safe. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • MNEggerandStuff
    Options

In years past I never let it bother me but I just had a scare where the power went out and it's currently -15F actual temp going down to -30f tonight.   As soon as it went out I speedily made my way to buy a generator and electric heaters.  When I got back home the power was still out and I began the waiting game of how long do I wait before I break the seals on the boxes and fire up my new $1000's of save ass (only can return unopened).  Thankfully the power came back on 45 minutes later...

That's enough fun for the night, the steak is going in the cast iron on the stove....

• StillH2OEgger
    Options

In years past I never let it bother me but I just had a scare where the power went out and it's currently -15F actual temp going down to -30f tonight.   As soon as it went out I speedily made my way to buy a generator and electric heaters.  When I got back home the power was still out and I began the waiting game of how long do I wait before I break the seals on the boxes and fire up my new $1000's of save ass (only can return unopened).  Thankfully the power came back on 45 minutes later...

That's enough fun for the night, the steak is going in the cast iron on the stove....

Glad it wasn't worse. It is a tad chilly out there.
    Stillwater, MN
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    We have a wood stove, and a 110v plug for the oil furnace. We also have a generator/ac welder that has never not started. Well pump is on a ac plug and cooking stove is propane.
     That said it is others that I worry about, the in-laws, neighbors, one thing I have learned about being prepared is others will count on you. And that’s okay 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Power went out twice today. No more than 15 seconds each time. Looks like it might hit -31 in the Twin Cities tomorrow. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • MNEggerandStuff
    Options

I think the only feeling worse than not being prepared would be my neighbors.  They have a generator and yet were calling everyone they could think of to see if they could borrow one.  Apparently they buried it in the back of the garage this summer and didn't want to put the battery back in the collector car and try to back it out into the snow to try and get to it.