Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Storing Lump

Options
I'm curious to know how others store your lump. Do you leave it in the original bag or dump it into a container, if so, is it  airtight? Do you store it indoors out of humidity or in a shed out back......just curious. Have your noticed better performance by storing it a particular way?

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I'm curious to know how others store your lump. Do you leave it in the original bag or dump it into a container, if so, is it  airtight? Do you store it indoors out of humidity or in a shed out back......just curious. Have your noticed better performance by storing it a particular way?
    If you store it in an airtight container, you're also keeping the moisture in.  Unless you evacuate and seal that container in a low moisture environment, it's not really doing anything for you other than keeping the rain out.  Plus, when the sun beats down on that container, you can get condensation on the inside......just like the BGE.  Best to ventilate.

Paper breathes......just keep it in the bag in your garage.  If you want to dry it out some more, just bring your next bag inside the AC and open it.  Charcoal sheds water FAST!  That's why the cave man invented it.

I leave bags out in the rain all the time by accident.  They're soaked.  Just butterfly (or spatchcock) the bag and let it sit in the sun for the day......good as new by that evening.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I keep mine in the original bag and inside the garage.  For the briquets which I use for the webber I do also .   I have had briquets that sat in breezeway under cover but high humidity and rainy outside that I used and they worked well after I got them lit but were harder to light.  
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    I keep mine in the original bag and inside the garage.  For the briquets which I use for the webber I do also .   I have had briquets that sat in breezeway under cover but high humidity and rainy outside that I used and they worked well after I got them lit but were harder to light.  
    Briquettes will definitely do that because they are full of limestone, starch, and  sawdust......all of which love to absorb moisture and not release it.  They already have a fair amount of water in them--that's what holds them together.

Charcoal doesn't really absorb moisture, it just very porous and has plenty of places for the moisture get into.  But as well as it gets into all those nooks and crannies, it also comes right back out.  If you get a lot of popping when lighting, that usually moisture that didn't weep out--then boiled and POP!
  • OshawaDave
    Options
    If you store it in an airtight container, you're also keeping the moisture in.  Unless you evacuate and seal that container in a low moisture environment, it's not really doing anything for you other than keeping the rain out.  Plus, when the sun beats down on that container, you can get condensation on the inside......just like the BGE.  Best to ventilate.

Paper breathes......just keep it in the bag in your garage.  If you want to dry it out some more, just bring your next bag inside the AC and open it.  Charcoal sheds water FAST!  That's why the cave man invented it.

I leave bags out in the rain all the time by accident.  They're soaked.  Just butterfly (or spatchcock) the bag and let it sit in the sun for the day......good as new by that evening.

Good information....Thanks.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I store in the bag outdoors but, under cover so it doesn't get rained on.  Humidity in FL has never been an issue storing it this way.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    Typically store it all on a rack in the garage in the original bag. I do keep a tote with a snap lid full of remnants/small pieces that my KJ Jr. loves.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    Briquettes will definitely do that because they are full of limestone, starch, and  sawdust......all of which love to absorb moisture and not release it.  They already have a fair amount of water in them--that's what holds them together.

Charcoal doesn't really absorb moisture, it just very porous and has plenty of places for the moisture get into.  But as well as it gets into all those nooks and crannies, it also comes right back out.  If you get a lot of popping when lighting, that usually moisture that didn't weep out--then boiled and POP!
    I never knew what made that POP, but it makes complete sense.  I get very little POP in the dry winter around here.  But in the extremely humid summer,  lighting up can look like a sparkler burning.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    GoldenQ said:

I never knew what made that POP, but it makes complete sense.  I get very little POP in the dry winter around here.  But in the extremely humid summer,  lighting up can look like a sparkler burning.
    The sparks come more from the fine charcoal powder (that's why you won't hardly get any sparks on a relight.)  But when you do get the pops, little pieces burn up rapidly and so it looks like sparks as well.  Those are usually the bigger brighter ones that can have some distance, whereas the powder that burns up won't make it too far out of the egg.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I leave my lump in its original bag in the shed.  Once it is open, I put the opened bag in a storage cabinet built into my egg table. Also, FWIW, I keep my smoking wood in little plastic storage bins in a drawer in my egg table. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    I leave my lump in its original bag in the shed.  Once it is open, I put the opened bag in a storage cabinet built into my egg table. Also, FWIW, I keep my smoking wood in little plastic storage bins in a drawer in my egg table. 
    It's good to keep the wood vented and the container out of the sunlight.  Otherwise it will grow mold.
  • Ham_Bone
    Options
    I'll keep mine in its original bag, and store it in my shed. Have yet to have any issues doing it this way.
    St.Augustine, Florida
    1 Large BGE
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    Been keeping mine outside for years in this container, no mold or moisture noticed.
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    In the bag in the garage 
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    I leave mine in the bag on top of my storage box outside. Gets wet, cold, whatever. Get a weed burner and don't worry about wet charcoal ever again. 
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    All the lump and briquettes are out in the cookshed, stored in original bags until it goes on grill.  Hot or cold doesn’t seem to matter.
  • whta
    whta Posts: 62
    Options
    I usually dump mine in a plastic tote - I use a UPS shipping box folded down and placed in the center standing upright.  One side gets the nice big chunks, the other the smaller pieces.

Unopened bags stay in the garage until needed.  Wood chunks stay in their bag, in a separate tote outside with the lump.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I had an extra steel drum taking up space.  Painted it up, made a round corian top for it, and put it on wheels.  Now it's a rolling counter top and lump storage.

I'll try and remember to post a pic tomorrow.
    Phoenix 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    blasting said:

I'll try and remember to post a pic tomorrow.

Phoenix