Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Raising The Filet Mignon Roast"! :-)

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all! [p]I am planning to cook a 7 pound Filet Mignon Roast on Christmas Eve. My first rub of choice: Dizzy Pig Raising The Steaks.[p]I intend to put it in the Egg at 500F, then bring it down to 450F and cook for about 30 minutes for medium rare.[p]Any suggestions? [p]Thanks![p][p][p]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy SJGrEGG,
    The difference between 500 and 450 is not very great, and I am afraid you might over sear your meat if you go that hot and long. I would suggest more of a TRex method, as it works so well. Sear that beautiful roast...whether it's at 500 or 900, or even right on the coals. Build up a good crust without getting it too black....doesn't matter if it takes 30 seconds per side or 5 minutes. But watch it close. You want to sear the surface but not toast the meat. Then remove and rest the meat while you set up your cooker indirect. Return the meat to the cooker 350-400 indirect, and roast the rest of the way. 135 internal and a 10 minute rest will prolly get you a medium rare with a tenderloin roast. 125-130 if'n you like it a little redder.[p]Good choice on the rub!
    Happy cookin toya.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I agree with rub choice. I might add, coat with EVOO then the rub.
    Just my 5 cents. Every thing goes up. LOL[p]Mike

• Hiiii Chris![p]Funny....I just placed my order for Raising the Steaks and others today. I enjoyed the sample packet of the Raising
    from my last order. [p]So, you and Car Wash Mike both agree on this rub for Filet Mignon! [p]I'll take your TREX advice then. Can't mess this up...10 people are coming for dinner!!![p]Thanks again![p]

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    SJGrEGG,
    Be sure you are watching the internal temp and not the time, after the sear and the rest.[p]Should be wonderful.

• George
    George Posts: 86
    Options
    Nature Boy, I've learned to take them off at 105° for the rare side of med-rare measured at the thicker end, which is just right for half of us. The other half get cuts from the smaller end and if that's too rare for them, we dip it in the mushroom sauce for a few seconds. When I do a beef tender, it's always aged CAB®, and we've never been disappointed. A bit pricy, but worth it.

• locolongball
    Options
    SJGrEGG,[p]I use a eggwash, rosemary mixture, with my dizzy pig rub of choice on my prime rib, the sear will almost form a crust on the meat, awesome, awesome, awesome...I think I learned that one from Snoopy Dog.. anyway might give a try on the Filet Roast. either way, however, I would change the temp start at 500, and bring down to about 400, and watch that internal temp. I'd pull @ 125 for med rare, but that's my taste. later.
  • George
    Options
    _pricey_, that should have been. I've got to proof-read these before hitting the send key.

• George
    Options
    SJGrEGG, if I were feeding ten+ people, I'd buy two whole 7 to 8 lb tenderloins. If you are getting a 7 lb oven-ready-with-side-muscle-removed roast that weighs 7 lbs, you might (or might not) have enough. The tenders that I buy (in the bag) are whole and peeled, and weigh 7 to 8 lbs. I remove the butt (large) end, the side muscle, and the tail end (for stir fry later), and the excess fat. What remains is about a 4 lb center-cut perfect piece of meat, without any stringy stuff. This is what I fix for four heavy eaters...and usually have some left over. Better too much then not enough.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mornin George,
    Yeah, I shudda said "pinker" not "redder"! [p]I have to say, I don't think I have ever cooked anything as rare as 105. Though I would enjoy trying that sometime with fine quality meat.
    Happy holidays George!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ