Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Cook-Issue with Fire

Options
I have a Medium BGE, and have done lots of overnight Brisket cooks. This one is running longer-it is about 14 lbs Costco Prime. Started at 8 PM last night, meat temp in a bit of a stall. Have my Smobot set at 235 but noticed temps were having trouble keeping up. Checked-and i show the lump is almost all gone.

Granted, right now we are running about 17 hours (about 1 PM Est-that is what i figured) but i have never had this issue. Can anyone advise? Am I just expecting too much from my lump? Granted, this is the longest cook I ever done-prior briskets were done by 8 or 9 AM.

I am using FOGO lump, mix of Premium and Super Premium (latter is great for long cooks, larger pieces).

Thanks for reading, feedback appreciated!

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.

Comments

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    17hr should be plenty smoke. Wrap it and finish up in the oven.
    Gittin' there...
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Add more lump.
    the longest I have gone on my med was 13 hrs and still had some lump left. Great that you got 17, Good to know
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options

I'm impressed you got a 14 lb brisket into a medium! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    17hr should be plenty smoke. Wrap it and finish up in the oven.
    Yep, just did. It probed like butter in no time, resting in cooler.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • evie1370
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    Add more lump.
    the longest I have gone on my med was 13 hrs and still had some lump left. Great that you got 17, Good to know
    Thanks for the feedback, I am waiting for it to cool to see how much exactly-but I believe I was down to my last few coals. Usually my briskets finish earlier than this, but as you know every piece of meat does its own thing.

"

• evie1370
    Options
    JacksDad said:

It wasn't easy, but I used a method that I learned on the forum-wrap the flat part around a brick (foil around brick) Doing that enabled me to squeeze it in!

"

• Woodchunk
    Options
    evie1370 said:
    JacksDad said:

It wasn't easy, but I used a method that I learned on the forum-wrap the flat part around a brick (foil around brick) Doing that enabled me to squeeze it in!
    Did it shrink enough to flaten it out
  • evie1370
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    evie1370 said:
    JacksDad said:

Yep, when i checked on it next morning i was able to remove the brick-it had shrunk enough to fit. It was a tight fit, but it worked. 

"

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    evie1370 said:
    JacksDad said:

I’ve done a 20 lb brisket over a roasting rack in a medium and it shrunk enough to fit on the grid after wrapping.
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    evie1370 said:
    JacksDad said:

I’ve done a 20 lb brisket over a roasting rack in a medium and it shrunk enough to fit on the grid after wrapping.
    Thanks, great info