Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Rack

tripmac
tripmac Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone used Steven Raichlen's Ultimate Rib Rack? I saw one last week and it looks like it would fit in my large. For my last several racks of rib I have rolled them and stood them up. The rack looks like it would hold more and be a little easier.[p]Can be found at hugthecook.com
Trip

Comments

• Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    I've never used one but I've seen them before. They look flimsy. The Rib Rack that Big Green Egg puts out is much sturdier and doubles as a V-rack when flipped over.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Tripmac,
    I checked out the hugthecook.com site. It looks like the rack would fit. I wonder what their return policy would be. They had some pretty cool accessories. I liked the wood planks for cooking, too! Very reasonable prices... though I forgot to check out the shipping rates. I liked the potato cooker to for the grill I wonder how good it does. Anyway, please post a follow up later on if you decide to order the rib rack.[p]Best Regards, Pharmeggist

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Pharmeggist,
    My wife bought me this one and it works really good.
    Larry

[ul][li]Hardy Rib Rack[/ul]
  • Pharmeggist,[p]I actually saw these at an Academy sports store in Augusta GA. It looks really beefy and was pretty large. I guess that will be on my Christmas list from my parents.[p]Trip

• Tripmac,
    I have one, and it very sturdy. Watch out when using with platesetter or raised grill in large egg. First time I used it, external thermometer touched ribs and gave inaccurate readings. When trying to rearrange, I bent and broke the thermometer. Works great when used at regular grill level.

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    YB,
    I really like that rib rack! WOW!!! I am going to put it on my Chrismas list... just bookmarked the site as my favorite. One quick question did your wife get you the mini rack or the full size one? I have a large BGE not the XL will it fit? Thanks for the information.[p]Best regards, Pharmeggist

• EggheadTexan,
    Thanks I will have to remember that![p]Trip

• YB
    Pharmeggist,
    She got me the full size one and it fits on the large egg.You can even put racks of baby backs in all the slots not just in u shaped ones.
    Larry

• YB
    Tripmac,
    Do you live in Augusta?[p]Larry in Martinez

• Tripmac,[p]I have Reichlen's ulimate rib rack. It won't fit on my large with the plate setter (too tall), but it will fit on the lower rack, which probably means you'd be cooking directly over the coals (which might be a problem if you mop the ribs, which could cause flare-ups or might put out the coals. I think Fishlessman cooks his ribs using this setup).

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    aa0dcada.jpg
    <p />Big Hoser,
    d77d925a.jpg
    i dont usally mop, these were just sauced at the end of the cook, but what i really like is to make a thin basting style sauce, and let the temps rise direct at the end of the cook, and baste and flip continously til i get a nice crispy like glaze at the end like on these riblets. if you stand them on the lower rack direct you really need to figure out the smallest amt of lump you will need for the cook and cook them no higher than 230 degrees for the most part. i like them flat on a raised grill direct the best.
    riblets002.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    b0aa2307.jpg
    <p />Tripmac,[p]One of the best values out there for rib racks are the ones made by Dave Klose. All stainless, angled to lower the height (takes up less headroom) and to allow spray or mop to drizzle down them slowly, and high enough sides to support wider St. Louis ribs witthout curling. I got two when they first came out at $25/ea.[p]e785affc.jpg[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye,
    Where can I get this rack? I like the looks of it.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    BSinAZ,[p]Here is the address:
    http://www.bbqpits.com/
    Click on "BBQ Accessories". When you get to the next page, click on "BBQ Accessories Catalog - Click here".
    The racks are about halfway down the page. The 2006 price shown is $40.00/ea. In the description there is a typo on the size. The ones I have are 3/16" diameter stainless NOT 3/32" as listed.[p]~thirdeye~[p][p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman,[p]I like to spritz my ribs with a miz of apple juice and Jack Daniels. I think this would cause flare-ups if I cooked direct that way though (no problem cooking flat like you do on a raised grill). You got no problems with the dripping fat and other stuff putting out the charcoal?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Big Hoser,
    beginning of the summer i cooked some riblets with only 2 inches of spent lump in the egg just to see if i could do it, lit it with a weed burner so i had a nice spread of fire instead of lighting in one spot. put the riblets on at 220, and went back to work. came home about3.5 hours later and increased the temp to baste and they were done, grease doesnt put out the fire, and with the direct cook the lump lasts much longer. to be safe i go up just over the holes in the firebox and have plenty left over. they also cook faster this way. keeping the amount of lump small increases the distance to the food and flareups become minimal. even the grease in 2 ducks i cooked this way a few weeks back didnt put the fire out, and there isnt much food greasier than duck.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman,[p]Thanks. I think I'll try it this way next weekend for a couple of racks of spares.
  • YB,
    My parents are in Evans Lewis Memorial Church Area and my grandmother is in Martinez (Goldfinch Dr)[p]I live in Statesboro. my parents left me here when I graduated high school and I have been here ever since.[p]Trip