Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Genius

Options
2»

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    tbru said:
    I was using my Egg Genius to do ribs here in MN yesterday with outside temp at approx. 9 degrees F.  It worked wonderfully for 4.5 hours, then the fan stopped working.  I noticed condensation and icicles on the unit...could the fan have frozen stuck?  It made the egg temp drop and I had to pull it out to finish the cook.  Should I take it back for malfunction? 
    This can happen with fan driven controllers. It’s fairly rare but it happens. All brands. What I’ve done before with my older Guru brand was simply heat it up a minute and broke loose the ice.  
  • Dollinger
    Options
    Take the fan inside. Let it dry out and put the pit probe on it and set the pit temp to 200 degrees and let it start to see if it runs. I would think at 9 degrees  not much humidity in the air. Could the moisture be dripping off the egg and getting sucked into the fan. The fact you saw icicles on the fan makes me think the moisture condensed off the egg and froze on the fan.