Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just a ribeye cap with brussel sprouts and stuff.

Options
Pulled a ribeye cap off a prime ribeye roast back in October.  Today was the day to cook it. Woke up and it was 34F. Watched the temp to 2 PM when it dropped to 30F. I knew the temp was going to keep dropping, so I lit the egg and let it stabilize for about 3 hours. 
 It started out whole:

Cut it it up and rubbed with a new-to-me rub “hardcore carnivore”. 

I wanted some oak smoke on it, so I did a short reverse sear with a good amount of oak chunks in the coals.

Then I seared it, and plated with brussels, onions and potato’s, and a roll. 

Washed it down with this:

I try not to freeze prime cuts of anything, but this turned out delicious.
--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Wish I was there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Always a good post coming from you @Sea2Ski. How did you like that Jess spice?
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Rib eye cap for the win-nice trim job to get that.  Definitely the way to enjoy.
    Nailed the cook.  Congrats.
    Hard-core Carnivore Black is my brisket rub of the day-currently in my 'too lazy to make my own" period. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Umm, table for 1 please!
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    Wow that is a nice cook! How was the rub? I need a new go to steak rub.
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Excellent sir. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    @Sammi and @BGEChicago the rub surprised me. First time using it ever. Took the seal off the bottle and a straight sample initially was salt forward followed immediately by black pepper, then late in the taste was the slightest- and I mean the slightest touch of sweetness and a tinge of heat. 
    On the steak, it changed dramatically. Little salt, some pepper, but the sweetness came though for me. Any hint of heat - gone.  My wife did not notice the same - she said it was more salty for her.

Verdict:  good but I was not “wow’ed” with this cut. Maybe I went too light with it? Or application distribution was too uneven?  Not sure. As you may know this cut is exceptionally rich and flavorful, I was really trying to note the impact of the rub, but it seemed to change with each bite. 

I am eager to try it again on another cut of beef. I can see how it would be really good for brisket as @lousubcap stated  and I am thinking that if it can hold up on a long low and slow, might be my new go- to rub on some beef plate ribs since I do not do many briskets.
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Fine looking meal. 

As as much as I’ve scoffed at just S&P on steak in the past, now it’s what I enjoy most. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    You had me at ribeye cap!!!

and yes, that rub is worthy!   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95