Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which wood?

Options
2»

Comments

• 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    1911Man said:
    My three 'go to' woods are sugar maple, black cherry and apple. I regularly get the black cherry and sugar maple from my source in Maine. Apple I can get at local stores. Although I might get a bag of it from the Maine supplier next time. ;)
    I started using the black cherry and maple combination some years back. I find it gives a great flavor to everything. Plus it doesn't overpower the food, or become nasty if you go heavy on it. At least not to me. I smoked some Polish kielbasa for xmas day eats (requested by my sister of all people) and used those three woods for it. Was a HUGE hit.
    Black cherry.. interesting. I like peach for the same reason, it does not overpower. What type of meat is it best suited for?
    Thanks in advance!
    I do more turkey (whole bird and breast sections) than anything else. But I've also used the combination for beef (went into chili) plus chicken breats. It works well for our oinking friends. ;) Plus I've used sugar maple and black cherry when grilling salmon. So, I think it comes down to what you like to smoke and if you like the flavors you get from these woods on your meats. ;)
    I do have some oak whiskey barrel chunks that I keep intending to use for something, but have yet to. Maybe the next time I smoke something on the BGE I'll cut up some to use.
    I do like using Maine Grilling Woods for several reasons. Not the least of which is the free UPS ground shipping which arrives the next day. :) Advantage of being in NH (even southern NH).
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    @1911Man I like that handle.

Which 1911 do have?

I'm selling my Sig 1911 to finance a pellet smoker. The Sig just sits in the safe and I don't carry it so I decided its time to go.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• 1911Man
    Options
    @SaintJohnsEgger I have three 1911's...
    1911 race gun that my father built up in the 90's. Started as a WWII surplus Remington Rand pistol. Very different from that now. Will be getting a new compensated barrel for this one in the coming months, since the one in it now is pretty much done.
    Desert Eagle/Magnum Research 1911C. LOVE that thing for range or carry. 4.33" bull barrel and sweet trigger right out of the box.
    FrankenPara P14-45. Changed a LOT on that one. Only parts that are original, now, is the slide and barrel. Getting the slide cut/machined for Novak LoMount sights in the coming weeks by a local smith.
    I'll probably change the sights in the DE1911C after the race gun re-barrel.
    I've already lined up any fitting work that needs to be done to the barrel swap in the race gun with the same smith that's going to machine the FrankenPara.
    I also have a HK45C that I'd love to sell since it's not getting any loving right now. I might pick up the frame weight (goes under the muzzle too and acts a bit like a comp) to help cut down on the flip.
    I want to get a full size 1911 from Magnum Research either next, or soon[ish]. So their DE1911G model. Also might go for one in 9mm (all mine are 45ACP currently). Although I wouldn't mind the Wilson Combat 9mm 1911 high capacity they offer. But I don't have ~$3k to drop on that.
    Right now I only have about a dozen firearms (what we call a "starter set" in free 'Murica). Even split between pistols and rifles. I'm researching getting a lever action (looking at Marlin or Winchester) in 38/357 so that it shares the caliber of my Ruger GP100. Once I get the lever action, I'll set up to reload that too. Need to do some 45ACP making today while it's snowing out. :) Eyeballing getting a RCBS Pro Chucker 5 press soon to take over from my Lyman TMag II press (from early 90's). Will go from ~100-150 per hour to 500+.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Right now I have hickory, oak, and apple. I have some pecan as well. I am probably in the minority but I don't care for pecan. Maybe I got a bad batch of chunks that weren't dried properly...but I found the smoke way to overpowering. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt was that with poultry? You need to go light with the smoke for birds.
  • Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    Options
    Right now I have hickory, oak, and apple. I have some pecan as well. I am probably in the minority but I don't care for pecan. Maybe I got a bad batch of chunks that weren't dried properly...but I found the smoke way to overpowering. 
    Pecan is a type hickory, so I suspect if you like one, you would like the other. Try using seasoned, non kiln dried wood. That goes for all wood, not just pecan. 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Pecan, maple, oak
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • UNCHeels08
    Options
    I basically only use cherry or pecan after starting with apple when I first got my egg. Need to branch out and try some oak or hickory. 
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Cherry, Maple, Apple, Oak

I just love the color cherry produces
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I guess I don’t get it. Chips and chunks are very cheap. I like chunks for longer heavier smokes chips for more delicate. Get a plethora of them discussed here and see what you like. Also recommend blending them for different profiles and appearance. Happy Egging!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Here's our chart:

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Here's a good write up on all the woods, from someone that helped me with the chart above:

https://grillinfools.com/blog/2009/04/01/smoke-wood-what-kind-is-best-well-it-depends/
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Where is oak?
    edited January 2019
    Options
    So basically, just about any wood is good for just about any meat. :)
    Where's guava? I like guava. Only use it occasionally tho as it's rather pricey to get it to the east coast.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    wheres blueberry B)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    wheres blueberry B)
    Blueberry’s not perfected yet.

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Apple, cherry, apple

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• BGEChicago
    Options
    @1911Man thanks for the info, I'll be ordering some Black Cherry tonight from Main Grilling Woods!
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • 1911Man
    Options
    @BGEChicago NICE!! Great people there. I'd bet they'll get your order shipped out tomorrow. I've placed orders (don't remember in the middle of winter) around 11am and it's shipped out just after lunch time.