Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is The local butcher dead?

Options
Hey guys,

Went to the local butcher today and paid $18.99 a LB for a rib-eye and it was mediocre to say the best. I can go to Costco and get it for much less, but the quality of Costco is much, much better. I want to support the local guy because they are nice and accommodating, what has happened with meat distribution/ it used to be that the butcher had the best cuts but of course you paid more but it was the best. It seems now the warehouse stores have the best meat but no value add like special cuts or added value with rolled steaks or marinated meats.... anyone have suggestions for a happy medium? Again, I'd like to support the local guy but I think those days are long gone...
Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL

Comments

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    edited January 2019
    Options
    The local butcher we use has really good quality meat and the beef is always well aged. These people will survive, the ones who just have average meat at above supermarket prices won't.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    As stated above you need to find the right one. There are a couple good ones around me in North ATL.
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    No problems here 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Kinda agree with you on beef.  Other meats are typically better at my local butcher.  I dont know where he gets his chicken and what he does with it but damn it is good.  I mean, Costco rotisserie chicken is hard to beat for the price but it is good because of the brine/seasoning;local butcher chicken is natural/unseseasoned but so much tastier and tender.

Options
    We have a local guy that I like to patronize. He's a BGE dealer too and carries Rockwood so I'm in there periodically. He's not competitive on many items, but is really strong on smoked and cured product. They grind their own sausage and have many varieties for sale. The place is usually packed.

The above said, my bride and I buy 95% of our meat at Costco. The NY Strips can't be beat, and the whole pork loin and salmon is great too. Everything is about 1/2 the price of our local grocery chain.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    If it were me up in your neck of the woods I might also try searching out ethnic grocer/butcher. They use all the parts and the quality down here is excellent. Not SRF, but very good. The problem with local butchers is often they pay much more per lb from the distributor for the same grade. You need to ask if they have relationships with farmers or simply a supplier
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I haven't been to the Costco that opened a year or so ago at the far side of the county from me, so I can't say. I know that for awhile, the Sam's club which opened years ago in the same vicinity was able to lure away the head butcher for a large local chain. The chains quality went down for a few years, but seems improved. What I've found is that the best of the chains tend to have decent quality, but a very limited variety of cuts. Most have no lamb, and it tends to be poor quality when they do. For some reason, tri-tips are few and far between. Short ribs are a rarity. Sausages, mostly mediocre. Pre-seasoned cuts are generally unremarkable, and not nearly as tasty as I can do myself.

The remaining butchers tend to have just about any cut, tho' the price is indeed rather high. Often, there is something special. One place has "flagship" Polish sausages, the last good example from an area that used to have maybe a dozen makers. Another usually has fresh duck and rabbits. Another makes 1/4 pound all beef hot dogs. Etc. Another has a good supply of bison.

Perhaps the quality is there because all the places are family owned and operated, some for generations. The place that makes the hot dogs has been operated in the same place, by the same family for over 100 years. The place that has the duck and rabbit raises them. About the only down side is that certain products and cuts can be sold out on some busy days.
  • BugFreak72
    Options
    Like said above it would probably rely on the quality of your local guy. Try to find one that has been around for a while then judge what is worth it to you.

I have a couple good local butchers around me and use them all pretty regularly. The ground beef from any of them is by far better than the stuff I get at Sams or Publix around here and generally within a $1.00/lb. The taste difference there is well worth it. Steak, brisket and pork butts though are all the same as the ones I get at the Sam's by me. Sams even carries Prime briskets pretty regularly as well. I can't justify the price difference for those types to use the local guy.

For me its the service I get at my local guys. I can order fresh turkeys and other meats for the holidays and know when and what quality I will get every year. I can get custom cuts and sizes along with the oddball meats like tri-tip which isn't too common around here at my local guy. For sure find one that makes their own sausages. My local guys are far superior than anything prepackaged for those. I'll pay a little more to get the consistency and service I get at the local guy over the general bad attitude and mediocre meat I get at Sams or Publix assuming they aren't too off on price. But it really depends on the meat for me.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    If costco didn't blade tenderize all of their steaks, I'd probably by more there.  I just get my briskets, pork butts, and other bigger cuts they're not stabbing.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Membership fees, huge crowds, long lines, and having to walk a mile and half to the meat dept. No thanks. I’ll stick to my favorite local butcher. 
  • DoubleEgger
    edited January 2019
    Options
    BugFreak72 said:  I'll pay a little more to get the consistency and service I get at the local guy over the general bad attitude and mediocre meat I get at Sams or Publix assuming they aren't too off on price. 
    Really?, you get a bad attitude from folks at Publix? I find that very hard to believe. Those folks are nicer than Chick Fil A. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I would say try looking around more. Not sure how close to the city you are but I've seen some nice stuff at the farmers market in Lincoln Park. My local butcher has quality stuff at a fair price here in Peoria .
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Markarm4119
    Options
    I have a butcher close that has great NY Strips, and I was always a rib eye guy, Costco NY Strips a just "good" compared to the butcher, there pork chops are good, not sure they are worth $2-3 a pound better than Costco, Chicken is okay. Get my Prime briskets a Boston butts at Costco.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    My local butcher has fantastic air chilled chicken, pork and beef. All from local farms. You can even order exotic meats and they fly in fresh fish/seafood every day.

It's hard to beat them, but I still have favorites from the wholesale clubs that I buy
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I have a butcher a stones throw away from my house. The one time I've been in there I asked about a brisket. They guided me to the freezer and showed me a 2lb brisket. I haven't been back since. I should swing back in and see what else they have. I have a gift card from them that has sat idle the past 7 years.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Sandtree
    Options
    No, Costco doesn’t do 120 day matured longhorn beef or 100 day old chickens. 

The benefit is I’m now in London and there are fantastic options, in the small town we were before the local “butcher” sold poor quality that came to them precut and vac packed. That said, there was no Costco either.

The premium paid in London is worth it in quality
    London, UK

New LBGE Owner
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    I have no problem with Costco, buy most all of it there. Will buy a few things at Fresh Market too. I don’t buy meat and produce at Publix anymore, overpriced and subpar to me. A vacuum sealer and a Costco run about every three weeks works for me. Used to work transportation for a meat distributor and I don’t think there’s many real butchers left locally, more like some meat cutters as most of the butchering is done at the slaughter location these days. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I'm fortunate enough to have a great local butcher. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    While I do use Costco this guy by far blows them away. Owner is awesome as well as his wife. Everything is locally sourced. 

http://www.mccannslocalmeats.com/gallery/2015/6/20/pork

• Lit
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Membership fees, huge crowds, long lines, and having to walk a mile and half to the meat dept. No thanks. I’ll stick to my favorite local butcher. 
    The Cumming Costco has the prime ribeye caps on sale for $14.99 a lb and $6 off each package at the register through the 22nd.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I'm spoiled here in Cincy.  Still seems like every neighborhood has a butcher shop.  And we have some gems too.  Some are still in operation from the late 1800's and early 1900's.  I have a Costco membership and will buy some meat there.  However, there is something different about walking into Avril Bleh meat market or Humbert's that is special.  Not to forget these places are deli's as well and it's a wonderful experience.  They'll always have something different, you'll see your neighbors there, and it's regularly very high quality meat.  I couldn't imagine living anywhere without some really nice high end butchers.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• DoubleEgger
    edited January 2019
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    I'm spoiled here in Cincy.  Still seems like every neighborhood has a butcher shop.  And we have some gems too.  Some are still in operation from the late 1800's and early 1900's.  I have a Costco membership and will buy some meat there.  However, there is something different about walking into Avril Bleh meat market or Humbert's that is special.  Not to forget these places are deli's as well and it's a wonderful experience.  They'll always have something different, you'll see your neighbors there, and it's regularly very high quality meat.  I couldn't imagine living anywhere without some really nice high end butchers.
    Makes up for the Bengals... 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Been lobbying for Mike Brown to take him and the team out of state for the longest time.  Leave us the name and uni's and we'll start over and do it right.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    Teefus said:
    We have a local guy that I like to patronize. He's a BGE dealer too and carries Rockwood so I'm in there periodically. He's not competitive on many items, but is really strong on smoked and cured product. They grind their own sausage and have many varieties for sale. The place is usually packed.

The above said, my bride and I buy 95% of our meat at Costco. The NY Strips can't be beat, and the whole pork loin and salmon is great too. Everything is about 1/2 the price of our local grocery chain.
    Where is this?
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • Lit
    Options
    These are only like 1” or a little more but not bad for $33.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    paqman said:
    Kinda agree with you on beef.  Other meats are typically better at my local butcher.  I dont know where he gets his chicken and what he does with it but damn it is good.  I mean, Costco rotisserie chicken is hard to beat for the price but it is good because of the brine/seasoning;local butcher chicken is natural/unseseasoned but so much tastier and tender.
    Who’s your local butcher @paqman?

A friend served brisket from Lavergne’s a few weeks back and it was off the chain. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    paqman said:

A friend served brisket from Lavergne’s a few weeks back and it was off the chain. 
    Boucherie du Village in Buckingham 

paqman said:
    paqman said:

Boucherie du Village in Buckingham 
    Too far for me.  :)

I used to love this place near the Hull hospital called “Boucherie Cholette”. They always had ground bison and we enjoyed it routinely. Shut down several years ago. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Saw my butcher the other day. He was well, had good meats and was happy to see me!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow