Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone own one of these little fellas as a portable?

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00022OK2A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_O4OqCbXNYYCPK

I’ve been eyeing one of these for who knows how long.
Watched a few YouTube’s, and they just look like a great 
little grill. Anyone on here own one and use it as a
portable alternative to an egg? 

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I think my it was @Tjcoley that had one but I could be wrong 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    That was one of my first and favorite grills..  it is obviously not capable of a low and slow BBQ, but it's a fine grill
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    That was one of my first and favorite grills..  it is obviously not capable of a low and slow BBQ, but it's a fine grill
    Hellyeah. I’ve got a bunch of kettles too but that little rig just looks like fun.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I gave one of those to my parents years ago.  I liked cooking on it, but they lived on the South Carolina coast at the time and the salty air rusted the heck out of it.  I think if they had seasoned it and treated it properly it would have been fine. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I do and its a rust bucket. By it's design, the coals are very close to the cooking grid. The high temperature makes it impossible to keep the cast iron grid seasoned.
    I personally regret the purchase, in fact my Lodge is free to a good home.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's good for grilling and searing. But somewhat of a PITA to lug around as a portable grill. 

Check out the charcoal Weber Go Anywhere. That's my favorite portable grill. You can cook all kinds of ways with it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Check out the Lotus Grill......they're freakin amazing.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I think my it was @Tjcoley that had one but I could be wrong 
    You are correct. I had one many many many years ago, then again not long ago. Great grill a# long as properly cared for. Season it well, and keep it dry or it will rust. Treat it well and it will last for years. 
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Amazon tells me mine is just over a decade old. As others have said, it will definitely rust. I never had too much trouble keeping the grate seasoned and rust free - at least when I was using it more than a few times a year.
    It is no substitute for an egg. If you are looking for a portable grill/kamado that you can do burgers or smoke a pork butt you might take a look at the Akorn Jr. It weighs a few more pounds than the Lodge but it's not a back breaker either.
    When I bought mine a year and a half ago they were on sale for less than $100. It's materials and build quality means it is not going to be a lifetime purchase but it certainly fits the bill for an inexpensive portable grill/kamado.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• cookingdude555
    Options
    My brother uses one for burgers and steaks. Its awesome for it. He doesn’t take it off his Weber performer table. It lives there. 
  • BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    Options
    Would one of these work as a fire pit in an ugly drum?
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    BobDanger said:
    Would one of these work as a fire pit in an ugly drum?
    Doubt it, not enough room for fuel. Expanded metal for building a charcoal basket. Honestly not that hard. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.