Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grate for BGE large

Options
Is there any vendor that has a grate for the BGE large that will sit level with the top edge of the base and fill the "entire" diameter of the BGE at that level? 

I have the old weber grate and SS bolt setup but I'm not totally happy with it.

I'm willing to buy a welder from Harbor Freight and make one if I have to, but who knows there might be one out there somewhere.  Just need to figure out how to bend 1/4" square stock into a circle, then weld away.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    lwrehm said:
    Is there any vendor that has a grate for the BGE large that will sit level with the top edge of the base and fill the "entire" diameter of the BGE at that level? 

I'm willing to buy a welder from Harbor Freight and make one if I have to, but who knows there might be one out there somewhere.  Just need to figure out how to bend 1/4" square stock into a circle, then weld away.

So you want to buy or create a grate that will sit on your base essentially right under the dome? Right? Sounds like you want to create a BGE set up similiar to a Weber...right? Now here's the $500 question...WHY?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    would be almost perfect, without the handle things sticking up and about 1/2" bigger diameter.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    lwrehm said:
    bgebrent said:
    would be almost perfect, without the handle things sticking up and about 1/2" bigger diameter.

Until you call Tom and realize he has the piece you imagine too.  Give him a call.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lwrehm
    edited January 2019
    Options
    RRP said:
    lwrehm said:

So you want to buy or create a grate that will sit on your base essentially right under the dome? Right? Sounds like you want to create a BGE set up similiar to a Weber...right? Now here's the $500 question...WHY?
    $1,000,000 answer...Because that is what I want.   But actually not similar to a weber...weber grate level is below the rim like the BGE, I'm looking for level with the top of the base.

I will probably end up building one anyway, because I like cooking on grates made with 1/4"-3/8" square stock rather than round, again why, just because.

• 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    lwrehm said:
    bgebrent said:

Has a menu option to get it with, or without, handles. Can pick to get the stone and pan too, or not.
    I got the setup for my medium BGE and love it. Used it without the stone or pan tonight to grill and it's beyond excellent. To the point that I'll be getting rid of the gas grill as soon as I find someone to take it (not that old and in good shape).
    As mentioned, if you have questions about it, contact them. Even though I'm pretty sure what you're wanting is what I linked to. ;)
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    lwrehm said:
    RRP said:
    lwrehm said:

$1,000,000 answer...Because that is what I want.   But actually not similar to a weber...weber grate level is below the rim like the BGE, I'm looking for level with the top of the base.

I will probably end up building one anyway, because I like cooking on grates made with 1/4"-3/8" square stock rather than round, again why, just because.

An option for heavy duty cooking grids:

http://killagrilla.com/
  • lwrehm
    Options
    RRP said:
    lwrehm said:

I'm coming back to this....how in the world is this anything like a Weber?  Every Weber Kettle that I have ever owned has the grate lower than the top of the lower Kettle!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    This sounds like the guy you want to work with:

http://michaelscustomgrillworks.com/