Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Pellets For A-Maze-N Smoke Tray

Options
Any suggestion with respect to pellet brand names to use with the A-Maze-N Tray? I understand that the Traeger pellets are  not necessarily made of the same wood as the name would imply and are "flavored" with oils. Not saying if that's good or bad, but at this point not knowing anything about any of this, I solicit opinions. I just ordered two 5 pound bags from A-Maze-N. I have the tray filled with hickory pellets that came with the A-Maze-N tray, lit now, smoking some bacon that I just cured. Makes a lot of smoke...so far.
Tampa Bay, Florida

Comments

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Have used both. They are fine, no problems. I would say the traegar pellets seem to be slightly bigger than the amn pellets. They both light and burn and put off lots of smoke. The traegar is easy to get at home depot
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I started with a sampler pack from Amazon that had like 5 different flavors. That helped me decide which smoke types I liked best for different meats. I picked up a 20 lb. bag of their Signature Blend yesterday at Ace - https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/smoking-chips-and-chunks/8013984

I used pecan yesterday for some chicken tenders and some smoked Mac & Cheese as well as on Sunday for some baby backs. Pecan sure seems to put out a lot of smoke when used in the Amazin tube.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    edited January 2019
    Options
    SWMBO picked up a 20# bag at some el cheapo discount store for like $10.  They were labeled "Competition Blend" with hickory, pecan, oak and apple.  Seemed to work just fine and tasted great on the last batch of cheese I did... Figure I've got a couple few years of cold smoking ahead of me before I need any more pellets!
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I've taken to buying the 20lb bags now - so much cheaper.  This one gets good reviews, and has preformed well for me.  They are 100% - not a blend.

Phoenix 
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    Great info guys, I appreciate your responses, lots of good info.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited January 2019
    Options
    blasting said:

I've taken to buying the 20lb bags now - so much cheaper.  This one gets good reviews, and has preformed well for me.  They are 100% - not a blend.

Does the 100% mean the whole bag is one flavor, or that the pellets are made out of that type of wood, instead of flavored with oak/cherry/maple?

I have also been looking for pellets that are made out of the wood listed, not just flavored.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blasting
    Options
    caliking said:
    blasting said:

Does the 100% mean the whole bag is one flavor, or that the pellets are made out of that type of wood, instead of flavored with oak/cherry/maple?

I have also been looking for pellets that are made out of the wood listed, not just flavored.

Yes to the second one - all actual apple trees, not just residual or scraps and blends.  They do make blends too, but I've only bought the 100% pure offerings.  Maybe I'm a sucker, but they really talk up the purity of the product.  Link below to the apple - I'm sure you can find other flavors from their.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0187PP4KU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Phoenix 
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    My Techs all swear by Lumberjack pellets.  They direct order at least 4 pallets a year direct from Seth.  I used the Hickory back when I had pellet grills (before my egg days)!  Hot and clean burning with less ash than Traeger pellets.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks for the info @blasting . I'll probably get a bag. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Another option, got some with my Rec-Tec grill     https://cookinpellets.com/product/40-lbs-pm/

• rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    I have three 20lb bags of Traegar pellets for my A-Maze-N tray.  I didn't know how long they last, but have now realized I have a lifetime supply!

I did find that it really helps to put them in the toaster oven on very low heat before using.  Before, I would sometimes have an issue with it going out.
    Raleigh, NC
  • blasting
    Options
    rekameohs said:
    I have three 20lb bags of Traegar pellets for my A-Maze-N tray.  I didn't know how long they last, but have now realized I have a lifetime supply!

I did find that it really helps to put them in the toaster oven on very low heat before using.  Before, I would sometimes have an issue with it going out.

If all you use it for is the tray, I think you have pellets for at least a couple future generations!

Never thought of the toaster, but I do 5 minutes in the mw.

Phoenix 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    this is info i found on treager before

The base wood if you are on the west coast is alder and the east coast is oak.

Mesquite or Hickory 100% base wood (alder or oak) with flavor oils no actual Mesquite or Hickory wood in the pellet 

Apple, Pecan or Cherry 70% base wood 30% Apple, Pecan or Cherry wood

Maple 100% Maple wood

Alder on the west coast is 100% Alder on east coast 70% oak 30% Alder

Oak on the east coast is 100% Oak on the west coast 70% Alder 30% Oak

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    rekameohs said:

The tray holds a pound if filled up all the way. 
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    rekameohs said:

Great Suggestion. Mine went out too. 
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Another option, got some with my Rec-Tec grill     https://cookinpellets.com/product/40-lbs-pm/

I've been looking at those, don't think I can use 40 pounds though.. Thanks
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    My first attempt at making homemade bacon using the Bradley Cold Smoke attachment and the A-Maze-N smoke tray. Smoked this for about 6 hours using hickory wood pellets. The only thing I'll change next time is the flavor of the wood pellets, I didn't like the smell of the hickory smoke, although it's what I always use on my pork butts, the pellets smelled differently. I'll use applewood next time.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    My first attempt at making homemade bacon using the Bradley Cold Smoke attachment and the A-Maze-N smoke tray. Smoked this for about 6 hours using hickory wood pellets. The only thing I'll change next time is the flavor of the wood pellets, I didn't like the smell of the hickory smoke, although it's what I always use on my pork butts, the pellets smelled differently. I'll use applewood next time.
    That looks great, how did it taste?
  • EggbertGreenII
    EggbertGreenII Posts: 253
    edited January 2019
    Options
    It tasted good, just didn't like the smoke used. I'm anxious to try it again and will do as I described above. Thanks for your help and advice by the way.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    I think I used a combo mix to do mine, 5hours, it turned out ok but not enough smoke flavor. I think I will try about 9 hours next time. I am using an old stick burner so have to lay it flat, maybe hanging it gets better all around smoke.