Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork questions

Options
Quick questions about pork butt for Superbowl

2 butts weigh in at combined 17 lbs.. realistically, how many sandwiches on slider buns would you expect? (expecting 45 people, and I have a small backup brisket in case it's needed)

Is it true that pulled pork is better the 2nd day after time in the frig, or is that fake news? If would be very convenient to cook on Saturday and eat on Sunday, if it's true.  I would enjoy the spectacle of pulling the pork in front of the guests, but I just want it to be tasty.

thanks in advance....

Comments

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I would assume there will be more food there....If so, two shoulders will suffice..

as far as better the next day, some others can opine but I would go with a "Nah Brah"..
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I'm not sure what would improve pulled pork after sitting overnight. Right off the BGE is tough to beat.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    edited January 2019
    Options
    You didn't say if the butts were bone-in or boneless, that will make a difference.

When I cook boneless butts, I go on the assumption that I'll get 60% of the raw weight back in pulled pork.  YMMV.  Obviously having a bone-in will change the math.

Next, I assume 1/4 lb serving for each person who will be eating the pulled pork.  Obviously you know your audience and can adjust that how ever you want, but I just make the assumption that *on average* each person will pound down 1/4 lb.

Using those numbers and assuming you have boneless, you'll get ~41 servings.  

If you presume that you'll get 70% back from your cook with the 1/4 lb servings per person, you'll get ~47-48 servings.

I rarely do bone-in butts for a crowd, so I don't know how the math would change.

And yes, I'm a big fan of of day old pulled pork, just seems to have the best combination of smoke + moistness.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    i think 2 butts will be plenty because i am assuming there will be other finger foods there as well.  i would do the pork same day, the turbo butts are easy to predict timing, its always right at 5hrs plus a 30 min rest time.  i will be doing 2 butts for the same amount of people for my daughters birthday the week before the big game.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    IMO, no pulled pork is as good as fresh off the cooker. Pulled, vac sealed and re-heated in 160° water is the best way I have found to re-heat it. It's pretty good that way, but it's not AS good. If you decide to cook it to finish on game day, try to time it so it finishes 3-4 hours early. Then FTC (wrap in Foil-then in Towel-and into a Cooler) until time to pull it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I would reiterate that fresh is better, and like previously pointed out fairly easy to accomplish game day with a turbo. Again get them done early, FTC and hold them until ready. Cook 2 and enjoy the leftovers. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.