Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PHO

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Love pho. Great effort brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Herky
    Herky Posts: 30
    If you are still looking for good spicy fried chicken go here https://www.revivalrestaurants.com/
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    I've still not tried Pho. Been high on my list but just haven't done it yet. Need to get on that before it's hot outside again. A which point soups just lose their luster.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

@WeberWho . that looks great, and hats off for all the effort.  You ought to start more threads - this was an interesting read.
    Phoenix 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    gdenby said:
    Looks like a great 1st try. Didn't know there were packs of spices just for it. Care to post an ingredients list?

I haven't tried pho, but have been working on broth for some years. 
    @gdenby

I definitely recommend trying to find a place that serves a good bowl of Pho. Especially with you working on and knowing what goes into a good broth. The broth is what really shines in Pho. I bet you'd enjoy it.

Here's the pack of Pho spices we picked up. (It also comes with the bag) I don't think it was much more than a $1.50

Here's the run down of ingredients:

BROTH5 to 6 pounds of beef knuckles or leg bones6 quarts cold water2 medium onions, quartered4-inch piece of fresh ginger, halved lengthwiseThis is what came in the bag. (*)* 2 cinnamon sticks* 1 tablespoon coriander seeds* 1 tablespoon fennel seeds* 6 star anise* 6 whole cloves* 1 black cardamom pod1 1/2 tablespoons salt1/4 cup fish sauce1-inch piece yellow rock sugarASSEMBLY1 pound small (1/8-inch wide) dried or fresh “banh pho” noodles1/2 pound raw eye of round, sirloin or tri-tip steak, thinly sliced across the grain 1/4 cup thinly sliced onions1/4 cup chopped cilantro leavesFOR THE TABLESprigs of fresh mint and/or Asian/Thai basilBean sproutsThinly sliced red chiliesLime wedgesFish sauceHoisin sauce
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    bgebrent said:
    Love pho. Great effort brother.
    Thanks!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Herky said:
    If you are still looking for good spicy fried chicken go here https://www.revivalrestaurants.com/
    Thanks for the recommendation. I think I've heard about this place before. I'll have to give this place a try. I didn't realize they did spicy fried chicken.

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    I've still not tried Pho. Been high on my list but just haven't done it yet. Need to get on that before it's hot outside again. A which point soups just lose their luster.

I know exactly what you mean. Soup is always an after thought. Pho might change your mind. Give it a go if you have a place around you to try it. All kinds of awesome flavors packed in one bowl.

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Culantro ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eryngium_foetidum ) is one ingredient, if you can find it, many Pho reviewers judge right after the broth quality. 

Also, basil is big down here, usually Thai or Lemon.

The noodles are commonly sold as "Rice Sticks".  They are made from rice. If they have them fresh, they are better.  Always cook the noodles separately in boiling water for the recommended time (around 60 seconds if fresh).  Don't cook in the broth!

edited January 2019
    Also, other than the salt, it's a bone broth, which is a current health fad, and very healthy.  Low carb if you don't eat the noodles.

It's one dish I could eat every day, in any weather.
    Pho hack:  If you don't have bones without a lot of knuckles or tendons, you can augment your broth with some unflavored gelatin.  Adds a richness that should be in the broth.

Any Pho broth at refrigerator temperature should have enough gelatin in it to thicken up like jello.
    edited January 2019
    blasting said:

@WeberWho . that looks great, and hats off for all the effort.  You ought to start more threads - this was an interesting read.
    Thanks Blasting! 

You'd think I'm an extrovert after reading all that gibberish. I'm surprised that anyone reads it all the way through. It's packed full of grammar and punctuation errors.

I try to keep anything cooked in the offset limited to the What Are You Doing Now thread. Plus most of my cooks just aren't interesting enough for their own thread. Every once in awhile I'll toss something up on the main forum if I think it might interest someone. 

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I've never had pho, but it looks and sounds delicious! Kenji has a pressure cooker version of pho ga that takes only an hour including pressurizing time. Gonna have to give it a shot.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/30-minute-pressure-cooker-pho-ga-recipe.html

Also discovered a Vietnamese restaurant here in town. Good reviews for their pho, spring rolls and banh mi sandwiches. Only 3 miles away so I'll have to try that too! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    I've never had pho, but it looks and sounds delicious! Kenji has a pressure cooker version of pho ga that takes only an hour including pressurizing time. Gonna have to give it a shot.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/30-minute-pressure-cooker-pho-ga-recipe.html

Also discovered a Vietnamese restaurant here in town. Good reviews for their pho, spring rolls and banh mi sandwiches. Only 3 miles away so I'll have to try that too! 
    Treat yourself to some Pho. I'm kicking myself not trying it sooner. Plus you should be able to get a bowl for under $10. Quick easy lunch or dinner. I'd be interested to hear how the recipe goes if you decide to make it 

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Cooking it now in fact. We'll see how it goes. Then, I'll go to the restaurant and see what it's supposed to taste like. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    Cooking it now in fact. We'll see how it goes. Then, I'll go to the restaurant and see what it's supposed to taste like. 
    Awesome!

Minnesota
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Very impressive!
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,430
    WeberWho said:
    The Oriental Market is less than 10 minutes away and full of all kinds of different variety of food/spices. It's a mind trip! I have no excuse not to go and indulge myself into another culture for a few minutes. Really kind of fun to do.
    We just had an oriental market open up in Clearfield (next town over) which kind've surprised me, didn't think there was much of an Asian population in Ogden, and this place is the size of a K-Mart (in fact, it may have been a K-Mart, I can't remember).  It included some asian fast-food places, and I stopped there for lunch one day, then wandered thru the supermarket portion.  Ended up being an hour and a half late returning to work!  Lots of fresh and unusual seafood, whole plucked fowl, and I didn't even recognize half the fresh veggies.  I need to go back on a Saturday and start experimenting.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    WeberWho said:
    gdenby said:
    Looks like a great 1st try. Didn't know there were packs of spices just for it. Care to post an ingredients list?

I haven't tried pho, but have been working on broth for some years. 
    @gdenby

I definitely recommend trying to find a place that serves a good bowl of Pho. Especially with you working on and knowing what goes into a good broth. The broth is what really shines in Pho. I bet you'd enjoy it.

Here's the pack of Pho spices we picked up. (It also comes with the bag) I don't think it was much more than a $1.50

Here's the run down of ingredients:

BROTH5 to 6 pounds of beef knuckles or leg bones6 quarts cold water2 medium onions, quartered4-inch piece of fresh ginger, halved lengthwiseThis is what came in the bag. (*)* 2 cinnamon sticks* 1 tablespoon coriander seeds* 1 tablespoon fennel seeds* 6 star anise* 6 whole cloves* 1 black cardamom pod1 1/2 tablespoons salt1/4 cup fish sauce1-inch piece yellow rock sugarASSEMBLY1 pound small (1/8-inch wide) dried or fresh “banh pho” noodles1/2 pound raw eye of round, sirloin or tri-tip steak, thinly sliced across the grain 1/4 cup thinly sliced onions1/4 cup chopped cilantro leavesFOR THE TABLESprigs of fresh mint and/or Asian/Thai basilBean sproutsThinly sliced red chiliesLime wedgesFish sauceHoisin sauce
    Thanks for the listing. I've got everything on hand, except maybe the black cardamon. Have some green for sure. There's been a Vietnamese market in town for maybe 15 years now, and I've been dabbling in various "exotic" dishes. Sometime things actually turn out pretty good. Strangely, I don't think I've ever seen pre-made pho packets

A few year ago, an Indian place opened, with a huge array of whole spices at amazingly low prices. So my cabinets are stuffed.

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Botch said:
    WeberWho said:
    The Oriental Market is less than 10 minutes away and full of all kinds of different variety of food/spices. It's a mind trip! I have no excuse not to go and indulge myself into another culture for a few minutes. Really kind of fun to do.
    We just had an oriental market open up in Clearfield (next town over) which kind've surprised me, didn't think there was much of an Asian population in Ogden, and this place is the size of a K-Mart (in fact, it may have been a K-Mart, I can't remember).  It included some asian fast-food places, and I stopped there for lunch one day, then wandered thru the supermarket portion.  Ended up being an hour and a half late returning to work!  Lots of fresh and unusual seafood, whole plucked fowl, and I didn't even recognize half the fresh veggies.  I need to go back on a Saturday and start experimenting.  
    The veg at the Asian market we go to is usually very fresh, and cheaper than HEB or Kroger. Plus they have a lot of veg that we use for Indian dishes that we can't find at our chain grocery stores .

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    When you're making the broth, adding the spice near the end of he cooking will result in brighter flavor.  The hours of simmering of the bones will cause many of the aromatics to evaporate out of the broth. 

Some professional pho cooks make a spice concentrate and add to the broth before serving.
    CPARKTX said:
    Very impressive!
    Thank you!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Botch said:
    WeberWho said:
    +1 on what Caliking mentions above. The prices are much better than the local grocery store when it came to vegetables. I couldn't believe the the quality and quantity you get for the money. 

I had the same experience with running behind. I had 45 minutes to get what I needed for the recipe before I had to get to an appointment. I wasn't even close to finishing my list in that 45 minutes. So much to look at and understand. After my appointment I ran to the other market and started all over. I didn't even scratch the surface with the hour plus when in there. 

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    here we go...
    here we go...
    Nice!

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    WeberWho said:
    Awesome!
    Last night's pho was FAR from awesome. I'll try it at the restaurant before I write it off, but mine pretty much sucked! Don't know if it was the recipe or me. Threw out most of the broth and made some chicken salad out of a couple of the extra chicken legs tonight and that was pretty good. Too bad about the pho - I was pumped about this one.

Hmmm, now that I think about it, the last time I cooked something this disappointing, it was another Kenji recipe. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    edited January 2019
    WeberWho said:
    Awesome!
    Last night's pho was FAR from awesome. I'll try it at the restaurant before I write it off, but mine pretty much sucked! Don't know if it was the recipe or me. Threw out most of the broth and made some chicken salad out of a couple of the extra chicken legs tonight and that was pretty good. Too bad about the pho - I was pumped about this one.

Hmmm, now that I think about it, the last time I cooked something this disappointing, it was another Kenji recipe. 
    Oh that's no good. Don't rule out Pho yet! Give your local restaurant a try. I don't know too much about Pho but I can't imagine speeding up the process helps the end game out. 

Now you have me curious. Please let us know if you try it at the restaurant. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Too many people have raved about pho for me to give up on it. If it was supposed to taste like mine, no one would have been so complimentary! I'll try the local Nam restaurant soon.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
     Pho is awesome, but I doubt I would do it myself. There’s a local Vietnamese joint that kills it. You guys that rock it have serious skills. 
    Jacksonville FL