Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PHO

I had two small goals over my Christmas break. The first one was to try Pho and the second was to find a place that had good spicy fried chicken. I accomplished my first goal at a restaurant called Quangs. They had the highest recommendations for the best Pho in the Twin Cities. They did not disappoint. I don't know why I waited so long to try it. My Cambodian friend has been telling my wife and I about it forever. I should have listened. 

After trying Pho, it has been on my mind ever since. My quest for spicy fried chicken had disappeared. Turns out there is a Vietnamese restaurant called Pho83 just a few miles from my house. Who knew. That just shows you how much I go out and eat at restaurants. I've been tempted to sneak over there for a bowl of Pho but I've promised myself that I'd try making it first. So I had some extra time this weekend.

I didn't know we had a Pho restaurant but I did know we had a couple different oriental markets the next town over. So I dedicated my Saturday morning to check them out. I'm sure I looked like an idiot scratching my head and trying to figure out what I needed. There are some serious shoppers in there. Double check shopping cart mirrors or get run over by everyone going 80mph in there! One of the employees came over and helped my wife and I out. We explained a few things on the list we were looking for. He couldn't understand most of things we were saying and vice versa for us. We showed him my phone and was quick to help us. The employee gave us a spice kit made for Pho. I had no idea the main spices came prepackaged like that. A really nice guy who helped a ton. 

We decided to go check the other market down the road. They also came in clutch with helping us out. We had a few questions on the beef bones and if they were the right ones. When checking out at the register the lady in front of us looked in our cart. She said, "Oh wow are you guys making Pho?" I said we were. She goes, "How often do you make it?" Ummm....first time. She was really excited for us. She said she's never made it but her Grandma used to make it all the time for her. So I thought that was pretty fun that she was excited for us. At the exact same time I was thinking...oh sh*t. She probably knew exactly what she was buying and making in her cart and she's never made it? This could get interesting.

I really didn't do a whole lot with the BGE and the recipe. I fired up the large for the onions and ginger. The rest was on the stove.

Was it Quang good? Not quite. I still need a bunch of practice but happy for my first attempt. It's a good base to start with. I'm looking forward to playing around with the recipe some. I'm going to use a mixture of oxtail with the beef bones next time. I know the broth clarity is a big deal with Pho. I took my time skimming it and ran it through cheesecloth 3 separate times. So it ended up taking two days to make with the fat rising to the top overnight. In the end I think it was worth the effort. Looking forward to making this again. 

My wife texted our Cambodian friend a picture of the Pho. He said, "Dang I'm super jealous! What restaurant are you at?" We told him we made it at home. His response, "Wait, you made the broth?" Hahahaha!!!! I guess I can be happy with the lady at the super market now. First Pho attempt out of the way!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Awesome cook. I have always wanted to try Pho but never had the chance. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    It looks really great man. You know you have to combine some kind of BBQ with Pho and call it "Pho-Q". 

Note proper pronunciation to make this joke somewhat funny.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgX2q9WPoqo

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    WOW! That looks pho-nomenal :) Very nicely done.

I've recently gained a whole new appreciation for what it takes to make good broth. But what a difference it can make.

There is a technique using egg whites to clarify broth, which was mentioned here not too long ago. I don't recall the details, but should be easy to Google. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks good!
    Did you discard the first batch of boil water?
    I don't have clarity issues if I do the process in the vietnamese kitchen website.
    "Parboil bones. Place bones in stockpot (minimum 12-quart capacity) and cover with cold water. Over high heat, bring to boil. Boil vigorously 2 to 3 minutes to allow impurities to be released. Dump bones and water into sink and rinse bones with warm water. Quickly scrub stockpot to remove any residue. Return bones to pot."
    g8golfer said:
    Awesome cook. I have always wanted to try Pho but never had the chance. 
    Thanks! I highly recommend giving it a try. Definitely worth your time
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    It looks really great man. You know you have to combine some kind of BBQ with Pho and call it "Pho-Q". 

Note proper pronunciation to make this joke somewhat funny.
    Much appreciated. It might be perfect candidate for some left over pulled pork. I'm looking forward to adding some other Q to it.

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    caliking said:
    WOW! That looks pho-nomenal :) Very nicely done.

I've recently gained a whole new appreciation for what it takes to make good broth. But what a difference it can make.

There is a technique using egg whites to clarify broth, which was mentioned here not too long ago. I don't recall the details, but should be easy to Google. 
    Hey thanks. I found a video on YouTube. That's crazy....

https://youtu.be/-24VOLOhgfs

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Looks good!
    Thanks!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    I don't have clarity issues if I do the process in the vietnamese kitchen website.
    I followed a recipe very similar to the one you posted. A few people had posted that the broth had the slightest film they could feel on their lips. On top of that I wanted to see how clear I could get with the broth. Filtered 3 times through the cheesecloth overkill? Most likely. 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    edited January 2019
    "Parboil bones. Place bones in stockpot (minimum 12-quart capacity) and cover with cold water. Over high heat, bring to boil. Boil vigorously 2 to 3 minutes to allow impurities to be released. Dump bones and water into sink and rinse bones with warm water. Quickly scrub stockpot to remove any residue. Return bones to pot."
    Definitely. I was honestly surprised I didn't have more scum with the bones after the initial boil before washing the bones and pot. 

Have you done oxtail before? I'm wondering if that would give it more of a depth of flavor to the broth. I'm also thinking I need to go more fish sauce the next time

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    I haven't used oxtail.  I imagine it would be good.  Might want to cut the meat off, if there is any and reserve for serving.  You want bones, marrow, some fat and tendons...hip bones are perfect.  Tendons give lots of gelatin, good rich mouth feel.

Also, don't roast them!

Parboil.   Cook maybe 6 hours on low simmer. 

That vietworldkitchen.com woman wrote a book on Pho that won a James Beard award....I just learned that, but have found her take on it to make the best, most authentic broth.  been using her knowledge for years.
    Most of you know it already, but FYI...Pho is pronounced like "FUH"... As in "go FUHk yourself"

=)  B)
  • nolaegghead
    I just ordered "The Pho Cookbook".  Won an award, great reviews, why not?
    Very nice!
    That's something I've always wanted to try making myself but:
    1. Too lazy.
    2. Good pho place literally right around the corner.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    HeavyG said:
    Very nice!
    1. Too lazy.
    It takes a lot of work, so I make several gallon batches and freeze.  

Pho

King

Nice

Work
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • WeberWho
    What a great and adventurous cook. Well done, sir!
    Thanks!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    HeavyG said:
    Very nice!
    1. Too lazy.
    Thanks! I agree with Nola. I can see making a bunch for later. 

@nolaegghead Which brings up a good point. What do you do for freezing?

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    thetrim said:

Pho

King

Nice

Work
    Ha. Thanks!

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    WeberWho said:
    HeavyG said:
    Very nice!
    1. Too lazy.

Gallon freezer bags.  Measure out about 2 qts, which is two large servings.  Let cool first.  Freeze with bags flat, as with all frozen broth, burger meat, etc...will thaw fast.  

I remove excess fat from the batch, but you don't want to go Jack Sprat...that fat has some concentrated flavor...so I leave some in.  Make sure to stir when you aliquot portions so the fat is distributed evenly. 
    WeberWho said:
    HeavyG said:
    Very nice!
    1. Too lazy.

Fair point but I've seen pix of Nola's setup/shop and I think might have more freezer space than I have living space. :)
    I rarely have enough room in the freezer as it is - certainly wouldn't be able to store gallons of "pho juice".
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    @WeberWho
    I'm floored that you tried making phò after only having it once, Bravo!  Every recipe I've read included a "beef brisket", just for the broth!  Because I live alone, the $9/bowl I pay at my favorite place is so much more sensible.  
    I'm no expert, but I have phò for lunch every Thursday, plus the weekends if I'm in SLC, and have tried as many different places as possible.  I'm happy that the best I've had is at one of my local places, and the KUTV weatherman, Sterling Poulson, is there often too.  
    Like jambalaya and sushi, this is one dish I'll leave to the experts to cook for me.  But again, so impressed that you dove right in to make your own!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• WeberWho
    WeberWho said:
    HeavyG said:
    Very nice!
    1. Too lazy.

Gallon freezer bags.  Measure out about 2 qts, which is two large servings.  Let cool first.  Freeze with bags flat, as with all frozen broth, burger meat, etc...will thaw fast.  

I remove excess fat from the batch, but you don't want to go Jack Sprat...that fat has some concentrated flavor...so I leave some in.  Make sure to stir when you aliquot portions so the fat is distributed evenly. 
    Perfect. Thanks. All bagged up and in the freezer.

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Botch said:
    @WeberWho
    I'm floored that you tried making phò after only having it once, Bravo!  Every recipe I've read included a "beef brisket", just for the broth!  Because I live alone, the $9/bowl I pay at my favorite place is so much more sensible.  
    I'm no expert, but I have phò for lunch every Thursday, plus the weekends if I'm in SLC, and have tried as many different places as possible.  I'm happy that the best I've had is at one of my local places, and the KUTV weatherman, Sterling Poulson, is there often too.  
    Like jambalaya and sushi, this is one dish I'll leave to the experts to cook for me.  But again, so impressed that you dove right in to make your own!  
    Thanks!

It makes perfect sense to go and grab a bowl for $9 and know it's going to be fantastic. 

There is so much food out there to try/make. I keep limiting myself to the same food over and over. I really need to start branching out a little more. I figured Pho would be a good start. I'm so custom to my grocery store 45 seconds away from my house that other markets don't ever cross my mind. The Oriental Market is less than 10 minutes away and full of all kinds of different variety of food/spices. It's a mind trip! I have no excuse not to go and indulge myself into another culture for a few minutes. Really kind of fun to do.

I'm looking forward to keep playing around with different Pho recipes. Always fun to try new things. 

Minnesota
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Looks like a great 1st try. Didn't know there were packs of spices just for it. Care to post an ingredients list?

I haven't tried pho, but have been working on broth for some years. Oxtail is ok, but rather fatty. Better for stews, braises IMO. They used to be really cheap, but now often go for nearly as much as a good roast.

A local place has started selling neck bones, and those work very well. Once in awhile, the Vietnamese store sells calves feet.

I finally managed to get a small freezer in the house. I've been buying beef from a nearby organic farm for some years, and I bought a 1/4 around Thanksgiving. I asked for soup bones to be included. The guy was nice enough that he tossed in at least 30 - 40 pounds for free. Not certain what much of it was. Some appeared to be sections of the spine. Very little meat on them, but marrow and pounds of connective tissue. If you know of a small processor in your area, you might be able to get a good supply for very low cost. And if you have any doggie friends, they will be really happy once you are thru cooking them.