Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Burger Recipe

Options
Pretty simple stuff, but I figured I would share this from last night's cook.  Over the holidays, my brother bought me Weber's Big Book of Burgers, so my wife and I tried a new recipe from it last night.  Pretty good stuff.  The burgers have nutmeg in them, a grilled apple slice, a little lettuce, white cheddar cheese (they called for Havarti, which I didn't have) and a grilled pretzel bun.  Really good stuff.  Anyway, enjoy !

Columbus, OH - XL BGE and Medium BGE

Comments

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    What was the burger mix, 80/20?
  • kindaquick14
    Options
    Yep.  80/20.  I added a little of Myron Mixon's Original dry rub in it and as mentioned above 1 tsp of nutmeg.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Would never have thought to put nutmeg in a burger, but I can imagine it would pair nicely with the apple. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    1 tsp of nutmeg is enough for 30 pumpkin pies. Holy crap. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Nice cook!

And not to detract, but rather add to the convo, I happened across this site yesterday... seems appropriate for us burger lovers!!

http://www.cheeseandburger.com/
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    @vb4677

Thanks for the link. Got to try some of those.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    How did it taste? I’ve never thought of grilling an apple or putting saidbgrilled apple on a burger
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • kindaquick14
    kindaquick14 Posts: 94
    edited January 2019
    Options
    It was definitely different.  My wife and I absolutely loved it.  It had a sweet taste, obviously.  I hit the temp dead on medium.  The combination of the fresh grilled pretzel bun, nutmeg in the meat, perfect temp, and grilled apple made for a really different flavor.  I'm pretty good at burgers (as I'm sure I'm not alone here) so when I go out to eat, I rarely find a burger that really hits the mark.  That said, however, I typically stay in my comfort zone when I make them at home.  The typical: bacon, fried egg, mushrooms, lettuce, tomatoes, etc.  This was outside of that normal comfort zone given the flavors added here.  But it was great!  Oh, and just to add, that was 1 tsp. nutmeg in just over a pound of 80/20.  Not overwhelming - just complimentary. 

One more gratuitous close up.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    HOW YA LIKE DEM APPLES?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95