Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rEGGulator - Houston... We have a problem with WIND!

Options
Ok folks, relatively new EGG'r and first post. 

I was one of the first to get the rEGGulator the day they came into the BBQ Galore Costa Mesa store and at first I loved it.  Well on Thanksgiving it was very windy (25+ knots) and went through a whole load of BGE lump in 1.5 hours.  Went through the second load in the next 1.5.  Had to keep top and bottom vents wide open just to try and maintain 300 degrees.  Temp control was so bad I had to babysit through 275 to 375 the whole cook.  It was not a complete failure as the stuffed turkey came out looking great and was very moist and delicious.  Nine people served and it was a great time for all.

Well last night just wanted to do a couple burgers and it was windy and I couldn't get the temp over 325 so I took off the rEGGulator and put the old Daisy Wheel back on.  Dialed it down to a 1/4" crack and full daisy open with bottom screen open and got my temps up for the burger cook.  

I know that 2 high wind days does not constitute a problem but would like to hear if anyone else is having a problem with the new rEGGulator. 

Since I live on a boat my egg is mounted on a boat as you can see in the pic.  It can't be turned.

Long Beach, CA - Medium Big Green Egg on a Boat, rEGGulator & Rain Cap, Platesetter, Pizza Stone, TS4000 Starter

Comments

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I would need to visit in order to better evaluate the environmental conditions and offer more informed advice. A weekend on the water should do it. 😜
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Great life-style right there.  
    Can't offer any inputs on your issue but I'm sure some will be along.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    How many pounds of lump (estimate from what the bag weighed) did you add each time?

I can get almost 10 pounds of lump in my large and run at 300F for at least 12 hours, sometimes much longer.

Wind can influence the amount of air flowing through the egg.  If there ever were a good reason for a stoker, that is it.
    Options
    Another welcome but I can’t help with your question.   

Awesome setup you have there!  I thought it was nice having my egg on my patio by the beach in Newport but on a boat in its own holder is a step above.  The wind is brutal down here today!
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Best thought would be to keep your vents closed as much as possible on a windy day or get a stoker (egg genius or flameboss) to control the bottom vent as much as possible. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • bigbeeus
    Options
    How many pounds of lump (estimate from what the bag weighed) did you add each time?

I can get almost 10 pounds of lump in my large and run at 300F for at least 12 hours, sometimes much longer.

Wind can influence the amount of air flowing through the egg.  If there ever were a good reason for a stoker, that is it.
    I would say 1/3 of a 10lb bag each time.  It fills to the line.
    Long Beach, CA - Medium Big Green Egg on a Boat, rEGGulator & Rain Cap, Platesetter, Pizza Stone, TS4000 Starter

• bigbeeus
    Options
    Best thought would be to keep your vents closed as much as possible on a windy day or get a stoker (egg genius or flameboss) to control the bottom vent as much as possible. 
    I tried closing the vents 3/4 to 1/3 the way down only to have the temp reduced to 200 or so.  Also tried various combinations of just top or bottom adjustments.  Temp outside was in the mid 50's.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    bigbeeus said:

You can fill to the line above that - top of the fire-ring.
    Options
    It's no fun running out of fuel
    Options
    bigbeeus said:

You can fill to the line above that - top of the fire-ring.
    By filling to the top of the ring you about double your lump load for the long duration cooks.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    Options
    The new rEggulator worked great on my new XL.  20-30 mph winds and I was able to hold temps between 225-250, then hover around 300 while testing the settings.  Then cooking at 300the rEggulator was cracked ~1/4” and the bottom vent was roughly the same.    

I have done a ~4 cook, then a ~1 hour cook, and still have enough lump for ar least one more short cook, but I’ll likely clean out all of the ash and refill the firebox.  

The bottom vent of my egg faces SW.  The winds seem to whip in all directions at times, here in Pearland (south of Houston).
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Problems of the rich and famous.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Boileregger
    Options
    I just got it for Xmas so have only used it a handful of times and I have had no problems getting any temp I needed.  I do find that my old go to vent settings don't work the same any more so I'm having to adjust how I open the top and bottom so I haven't been as precise as I used to be with the Daisy wheel.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Could get a powered fan to control