Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green egg temp control

Options
I am looking at temp controllers and was wondering if anyone had used the green egg controller?  If so,  can someone please share your experience?  Thanks.

Comments

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Loads of comments can be found in the Search box - look for Flameboss, EggGenius, Smobot, DigiQ.... you'll be inundated.
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Depends on the berms and whistles you need. If you don’t need WiFi, get a flame boss 100 for $150

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    Loads of comments can be found in the Search box - look for Flameboss, EggGenius, Smobot, DigiQ.... you'll be inundated.
    I'm so happy that all the Friday night wars have shifted from lump charcoal to temp controllers now.  Makes my life easier! 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    I'm so happy that all the Friday night wars have shifted from lump charcoal to temp controllers now.  Makes my life easier! 
    Wut, you don't want to discuss  ASTM D1762 - 84?!

Options
    I think the Big Green Egg (tm) brand of temp controller is actually a DigiQ. I would stay agnostic about the brands and look at price and features.
    I think the Big Green Egg (tm) brand of temp controller is actually a DigiQ. I would stay agnostic about the brands and look at price and features.
    This.  Couldn’t remember the brand.  Most BGE accessories are relabeled from other manufacturers. And marked up.  
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    This.  Couldn’t remember the brand.  Most BGE accessories are relabeled from other manufacturers. And marked up.  
    Not anymore.....they dumped guru like everybody else.  Flameboss now makes bge's controller.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Not anymore.....they dumped guru like everybody else.  Flameboss now makes bge's controller.
    Ok. Same concept. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    I would offer that you get comfortable with driving the BGE without a controller at the outset.  Helps understand the dynamics at work.  Then if you want to go with the controller, have at it.  But you will go into the controller realm knowing that if it all $hits the bed you have the knowledge to drive the cook home.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The new genius is a real nice unit. 
  • divr71
    divr71 Posts: 82
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions,  I will take in all the advice and try to make a good decision. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    divr71 said:
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions,  I will take in all the advice and try to make a good decision. 
    All of your options are good ones. Just a matter of your needs / desires. Cheers!
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    Options
    I have the Egg Genius and really like it .... except on thanksgiving, it pissed me off on Thanksgiving. 
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Temp control: lower vent at 1/8”=250°, 1/4”=250-300°, 1/2”=350°
  • coachbriseno
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What he said.
    Large BGE (2008) - Weber Summit (2018)
    210 TX