Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st pork shoulder In the fridge!

Options
I'm excited to try something new. I've been chasing ribs, chickens, sausage, brisket, burgers, pizza and various veggie stuff. Dropped my first shoulder into the fridge today... Weather looks nice for BGE day tomorrow! Any pointers?
Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]

Comments

• tybenj
    tybenj Posts: 58
    Options
    Which way do you plan on cooking it? I usually go low and slow at °225 till it hits 200+ internal and have never made a bad one yet. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    ^^ This ^^ is all great advice. 

The only thing I will add is that while you do not have to rest the shoulder, you can easily foil, wrap in towels, and put in a cooler for a couple of hours if needed.  Again not necessary at all.  Not sure about your schedule for this meal, but if it is a narrow window to sit and eat, aim for a much earlier done time and foil/towel/cooler it if you actually hit it.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    For me the finish-line is when the bone pulls clean.  And another,"Wait til the smoke smells good before loading the protein."  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • acolle
    acolle Posts: 133
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    For me the finish-line is when the bone pulls clean.  And another,"Wait til the smoke smells good before loading the protein."  FWIW-
    Hello again, @lousubcap

I'm still a bit of a newbie on the what smoke is good smoke thing I suppose. I often start my fire an hour or two before protein is loaded... Bring up the heat slowly. Today's fire has been going for about two/three hours. Stabilized @ 250 for a bit now. Smoke does not smell awful, but it also does not smell like a clean Hickory or Cherry. Can you and/or @nolaegghead elaborate with any detail so I can understand if I'm missing something or not?

And thanks to all for the advice above!
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    What charcoal are you using?
  • acolle
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Rockwood Lump and some Cherry & Hickory wood
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

Pork shoulder can be cooked in varying ways to great results.    Setup for an indirect cook.  Egg temp somewhere between 225-375º.  Add some salt to the pork and cook until tender (normally 195-205º).  Anything after that is personal preference.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    acolle said:
    Eoin said:
    Hard to see how you are not getting good smoke on a fire stabilised at 250 with Rockwood.
  • acolle
    Options
    Eoin said:
    acolle said:
    Eoin said:
    Hard to see how you are not getting good smoke on a fire stabilised at 250 with Rockwood.
    Agree. Just trying to figure out if there is some sort of Jedi "smell the smoke" trick I'm not keen on. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Thank's for that eggcellent summary @nolaegghead.  All I would offer is "stick your hand in the exhaust smoke then smell it-that's what is going to hit your protein." (Clean hands at the start help in the assessment  ;)  )
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • acolle
    Options
    Thank you @nolaegghead and @lousubcap ! I'm feel already in the zone. Just wanted to hear it from the pros!  B)
  • acolle
    Options
    Success! Forgot to take pics though. Pulled it just under 200. Will say it was just a tad dry. Possibly need to mop it next time. But overall, very happy. Thanks again, all!
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Congrats on getting the first one under your belt. Now it’s time to dial it in.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    acolle said:
    Success! Forgot to take pics though. Pulled it just under 200. Will say it was just a tad dry. Possibly need to mop it next time. But overall, very happy. Thanks again, all!

What made you decide to pull it at your stated temp? Sometimes dryness can be from under cooking. Usually you pull it when the bone pulls out  with ease or it probes extremely easy. That has happened to me anywhere from 185-215