Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crown Roast Tips

Options
Does anyone have any tips or practices for cooking a crown roast in the egg. I would especially like to head know how to set up (on top of plate setter, grill, drip pan, how long, what temp, etc. Is there anything I shouldn't do. Do you stuff before you cook or halfway through? I have my wife's who family coming for Christmas dinner and I don't want to ruin her $150 crown roast. Kind of nervous as I haven't used the egg in a long time and never did anything like this. I don't want to screw it up so any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I've done crown roast of lamb before. I didn't stuff it. It should be like a turkey, don't stuff it while cooking. I'd stuff it while plating. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Toxarch
    Options
    Thermoworks put out a blog today on crown lamb.
    https://blog.thermoworks.com/blog/crown-roast-of-lamb/
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Dollinger
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I'm doing a pork crown roast. I've found boith direct and indirect directions on the egg. Which is best?
  • Toxarch
    Options
    I never crown them anymore. I sear the outside and then go direct. You can't really sear it once it's crowned so direct would give a better outside. Foil wrap the bones and they will present better and shouldn't break when someone grab hold of it. Doesn't have to be a tight wrap. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yeah, I’m like above and do not have them arranged in a crown nor do it myself. I brine them however and cook them in their natural linear state.  Direct or indirect, meh, pick one and move forward. I would prolly go indirect for your situation as it allows you more lenience. Use your favorite savory rub for pork. One of my favorites is Dizzy Pig Raging River. If it’s already crowne, just roll with it. I’d still go indirect in your case. Finish temp @ 140 and a short rest prior to carving or service.

Enjoy 
  • Budgeezer
    Options
    Look up Adam Perry Lange crab boil brined rack of pork.  Here's one I did a while back. 
    Edina, MN