Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time with the new XL Eggspander.... LOVE IT!

Options
So I had 5 pork butts to do last night for a party today and used my new XL Eggspander and Egg Genius for the first time!! It is so much better than the two tier rack, when I foiled at 170 it was so easy to just slide the upper rack back and access the ones below. The Egg Genius works awesome with the app, so much nicer than the Digi-cue to monitor temps... Both Eggellant additions to the arsenal...  :)  :) :
Remember that grilling is more than preparing food… It’s time with family and friends, it’s your heritage and childhood memories….

Comments

• cookingdude555
    Options
    I also love all three of my adjustable rigs that @tjv built. 

Its a a nice setup @grillman14, you might get some heat from no fault of your own as big green egg ripped of the design concepts of ceramicgrillstore.com. Nice cook by the way, that’s some serious food you pulled off in one cook. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    @grillman14, follow up question, how do you like that egg table? I’ve seen them at my dealer and they seem pretty nice. 
  • grillman14
    Options
    @cooking dude555, I really like the setup, having the workspace and storage work very well. The large casters make it very easy to move around if needed
    and I like being able to add on in the future if I need to. 
    Remember that grilling is more than preparing food… It’s time with family and friends, it’s your heritage and childhood memories….
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    I don’t blame you at all, but it’s pathetic that BGE stole the concepts.  They could have easily done the right thing and given the ceramic grill store a cut.  

Either way, I’m glad you’re enjoying it and the table looks cool. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • volminimax
    Options
    tjv said:
    you're welcome,

t

Tom,

My local dealer has been calling me lately telling me that they have them in stock and I need to come by and look at them. I just told them I would go for the original from CGS. There was an awkward silence on the other end of the phone. I don't think they knew what I was talking about.  

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I don’t blame you at all, but it’s pathetic that BGE stole the concepts.  They could have easily done the right thing and given the ceramic grill store a cut.  

Either way, I’m glad you’re enjoying it and the table looks cool. 
    Using the CONCEPT is one thing.......flat stealing the DESIGN is another thing.

Then jacking the price way up while making it in China with lower grade SS for less......down right pathetic.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @stlcharcoal the people at BGE have a great product in the kamado itself, but that’s the end of it.  The dealer support by the distribution guys seems to very sketchy from what I’ve heard.  
    The dealers in our area count on dedicated eggheads to demo and talk about the products, give tips and tricks and so on at there egg fest.  
    Ive been to EggFest where the distribution team doesn’t show up, yet they were on the schedule. They’re  located like 15miles from most of the local events.   It’s crazy.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    The cgs is by far the beter place to shop and buy. They have much better advice and service plus more original ideas.  
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options

Love my CGS AR for the XL :)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited December 2018
    Options
    My wife picked one up for me today at the local BGE dealer. Not to start a war, but while the CGS version is probably made with better materials, it looked a little too bulky and I wasn't fond of its overall design. This one looks a little more streamlined with what seems like less wasted space on the main cooking grid. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    @grillman14 did you have an issue with the drip pan overflowing? I have always been scared that the shallow drip pan that came with my AR would overflow when cooking butts.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Had I not started reading through more threads on here this year I am sure I would have ended up with the BGE version.  For a lot of people whatever the local dealer has or says is the answer since they may think the BGE is a niche item and only BGE would make the best/most/etc as far as accessories go.  Luckily I tend to nerd out on things before buying but a lot of people just go with what’s in front of their eyes at the dealer or on the BGE website.  

AR with extension has increased my use of the egg, not that my food comes out any better using it.  It just added versatility and made my egg takeover grill duty from the gasser.  
  • neumsky1
    neumsky1 Posts: 26
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I love all the holier than thou's on here....everyone steals ideas...and make them better...it's called education...don't use my recipe...don't copy my bench build...😆😉 and I would bet they made sure they weren't stepping on any toes.
    3rd Large Eggs =)
    20 inch Yoder Offset
    16 & 20 inch Horizon Offsets
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    In my area the XL version is $275.  That’s more than the original @tjv makes.   I looked at it and it’s clear that they’ve cut corners on it comaired to @tjv
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    For stainless steel, it sure does an odd plated look to it... not sure what's going on there. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • beansberry
    Options
    what's your thoughts on the eggenius?
    MiniMax, Large, and XL