Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eye of Round

Options
I’ve never made roast beef that I was happy with until now. Smoked Eye of Round, cooked at 275 with apple/hickory chunks on the XL. It came out perfect!
I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Looks nice. Despite the fact that I’m more than halfway through Friday night pizza, I’d still go for a helping. 
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    Looks nice. Despite the fact that I’m more than halfway through Friday night pizza, I’d still go for a helping. 
    Hey, no shame in Friday night pizza. I’m off on Fridays and it’s my only day to really cook anything. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I adore this cut SV. Nice job! 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Beautiful work. I grew up haveing this most every Sunday as a youngster. My mom cooked it in the oven of course, and we would rush home from church to pull it so it would be a nice medium rare. She always served it with rice and gravy (made from the drippings), butter beans, asparagus cassarole and some homemade rolls. To this day...,.one of my favorite meals. I have done a few on the egg over the last couple of years...but need to pick up the frequency. A great roast. Appreciate your sharing and allowing me to reflect. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Skrullb
    Options
    Beautiful work. I grew up haveing this most every Sunday as a youngster. My mom cooked it in the oven of course, and we would rush home from church to pull it so it would be a nice medium rare. She always served it with rice and gravy (made from the drippings), butter beans, asparagus cassarole and some homemade rolls. To this day...,.one of my favorite meals. I have done a few on the egg over the last couple of years...but need to pick up the frequency. A great roast. Appreciate your sharing and allowing me to reflect. 
    Very nice. This was my first attempt but it won’t be my last! It’s really good for such an affordable piece of meat
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Outstanding brother!!  I need to try this one. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • gonepostal
    Options
    Haven't attempted that on the egg but that is one mighty fine plate of food...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • Skrullb
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I was aiming for a reverse sear but it got to temp way faster than I was expecting. I would’ve liked a bit of char on it, but it was still good. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Looks great. I usually resole my work boots with eye of round but you really make it look appealing. Great job. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    That looks really great. Might have to give this cut a go sometime.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Like @northGAcock A eye round was not an uncommon meal on Sundays. The difference was that my mother cooked it on one of those old style table top rotisseries. She would sliver up some cloves of garlic and insert them into the roast, then start the rotisserie on low. Once spinning, she would season the outside with salt, pepper garlic powder for an even coat. And now thinking back, she always cooked those to how yours turned out without a thermometer.
    I wonder how she did that after really thinking about it for a few minutes.

Nice cook!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    Options
    Looks great!  Nice plating pic too.  I’m terrible when it comes to plating pics.   😂😂
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    That looks great - like others, that reminds me of mom’s cooking when I was a child.  Well done!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Grabbed one today from Publix. Prolly gonna do it for din din tomorrow. 

• Skrullb
    Options
    I have a feeling I’ll be picking up some onion rolls and au jus and will be making some French dip tomorrow with the leftovers. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Skrullb said:
    I have a feeling I’ll be picking up some onion rolls and au jus and will be making some French dip tomorrow with the leftovers. 
    You had leftovers?

• Skrullb
    Options
    Skrullb said:
    You had leftovers?
    Haha, yeah I cooked 2! Always thinking ahead!