Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasted chickpeas

Options
Wanted to make a healthy-ish, high protein snack to get my calories and protein up between meals. Found a recipe at https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/crunchy-roasted-chickpeas/ but made two changes: i) I smoked them with hickory, and ii) I added some spicy rub to give it some kick. 

Comments

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I just stole this one.  Thanks for posting it. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    A note: I was very pleased with the results, though I’ll say that I could have stood to let the peas roast just a little longer. I would guess that the Egg makes for such a humid environment that they probably take longer to dry than they would in the oven. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Intrigued! (I love hummus)
    I'm assuming these were canned garbanzos, rinsed?  (since you had to let them dry?)  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• mrosener
    Options
    What rub / marinade did you use?  
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Botch: Yes, they were rinsed garbanzos. I didn’t bother drying them because I figured the 45 mins or so in the oven would take care of it (consistent with what the recipe indicated).

@mrosener: Aside from the rub in the recipe (salt, chili powder and dried thyme), I also threw in some David’s Spicy Rub...

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Copied but failed  :)

We usually cook raw chickpeas in Instant Pot ... soak for few hours, cook for 16 minutes, natural pressure release, rinse in cold water, slightly al dente ...

...drained and dried in fridge overnight, decided to cook in pellet pooper, threw in couple of sweet taters too.  Not sure where things went wrong, some are crunchy/crispy but some are so hard that I don't want to risk chipping a tooth  :) ... after all that work there's no way I'm thrashing it; ground some and it actually tastes good!  Aha, think of the possibilities ... protein powder for soup/cereal/smoothie, panko ... 

Prior to cooking chickpeas, I also roasted a batch of sugar cinnamon almonds at lower temp, glad I didn't screw that up!

canuckland
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,296
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @Canugghead: Wouldn’t call it a failure - just a learning experience. I’ve had more than my share with all things cooking. Just last week, I went to make Kenji’s cinnamon buns and the dough never rose. Don’t know where I went wrong, except the recipe doesn’t call for heating the liquids prior to blending with the yeast and other dry ingredients so my wife wonders if this potential omission was it. Going to try again this weekend. 

Way to repurpose those chickpeas! Coarsest ground, I bet they’d be great for adding texture and flavour to salad. 

Were you to try again, you could always grab a bean at small intervals until the crunch is to your liking (and before they are at the point where consumption risks an unscheduled trip to the dentist).

Almonds look great, btw.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Were you to try again, you could always grab a bean at small intervals until the crunch is to your liking (and before they are at the point where consumption risks an unscheduled trip to the dentist).
    Thanks. I think you just nailed my problem, I was checking at 12-minute intervals at 375F, duh  :)
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Took a quick look at Kenji's sticky cinnamon buns recipe. Interesting, no water to proof the yeast. It says melt butter in microwave; yogurt and egg at RT. Would like to hear how it turns out again.
    canuckland
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Great post - something different for sure that I wouldn't have thought of.  

Phoenix 
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Very different. We’ll try this! Thanks!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    @canugghead - if you are grinding them up you could make socca which is a crepe/flatbread/pancake type of thing made from chickpea flour.
    I've only ever made them with store bought chickpea flour but I'm betting that the extra flavor from the smoke and rub might make them quite tasty.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Took a quick look at Kenji's sticky cinnamon buns recipe. Interesting, no water to proof the yeast. It says melt butter in microwave; yogurt and egg at RT. Would like to hear how it turns out again.
    Thanks. 

Sorry, perhaps I should have specified that there are two versions of Kenji’s cinnamon buns. I’m talking about the “best ever” recipe found here: https://www.eater.com/2015/10/10/9482367/best-sticky-bun-recipe-kenji-food-lab.

Aside from no proofing, the dough also calls for buttermilk and there’s no indication it should be warm, let alone room temperature. I’m hoping that’s all the issue was. We’ll see. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Canugghead: Gave the bun recipe another go tonight. Heated the liquids to a room temp this time and also placed the dough to rise in a slightly warmed oven. The rolls are now in the refrigerator and will hit the oven tomorrow. I can tell that they will be good. 

That being said, we noticed a number of oversights in the recipe: i) no mention of bringing the liquids to room temp, ii) no mention of greasing the bowl in which you let the dough rise, and iii) when buttering the dough after having shaped it rectangularly, the instructions have you orient it incorrectly, which had we proceeded as instructed, would have resulted in too few and grossly-oversized buns. 

If you decide to give them a go, I recommend you keep these items in mind. 
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @HeavyG Thanks, had to google Socca, looks interesting, now I'm thinking it may be a good candidate for my new Ardore oven!  Also, just realised that I've essentially created Sattu which is very popular back home where I grew up:
    https://www.huffingtonpost.in/luke-coutinho/theres-no-indian-superfood-like-sattu-recipe_a_22066685/
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations Thanks for the pointers, will definitely keep them in mind if I try the recipe.  Looking forward to your results.
    canuckland
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Reading the current issue of Cook's Illustrated at the moment and, coincidentally, they have an article about making roasted chickpeas. Their approach is a little more complicated and involves a first step in a microwave oven which help make them fluffier/crunchier.

The recipe is on their website here (but it's behind an annoying "free trial" registration popup): https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/11331-indian-spiced-roasted-chickpeas

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @HeavyG: Neat. Thanks for sharing. Will have to try both and compare. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Canugghead: While I haven’t tasted the results - aside from the caramel sauce and icing - both of which are fantastic, I can tell that these will be incredible.

Modification number iv) grease the sides of the baking pan to prevent sticking. Luckily, we had thought to do this, but again, (very strangely) the recipe did not call for it.

• Canugghead
    Options
    bump
    canuckland
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Canugghead

Did you try those cinnamon buns yet? You’ve got some runway before Christmas; we make them for family and friends every year. 
  • Canugghead
    Options
    not yet, we're not big with sweet stuff. 
    canuckland
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Me neither. And yet I still recommend you try.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Holy moley! There's so much going on in this thread... how did I miss it the first time around??

I NEED to try the cinnmaon buns. We have family visiting in a month or so, which would be a great time to give them a go. 

@Canugghead - my understanding is that active dry yeast needs to be proofed, but not instant dried yeast, as the granules of IDY are smaller. I use SAF IDY, and just add it to the flour when mixing up the dry ingredients of a recipe. 

Also, I found that using hot water from the electric kettle (1/3rd of the total wt or volume of water called for) added to cold water from the fridge dispenser (2/3rd of the wt or volume called for) results in water at 100F or so. Works well. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Me neither. And yet I still recommend you try.
    Alright I may bite.
    Never mind, just read the ingredient list. Looks like a no go or needs multiple  substitutions because we try to avoid cheese, milk and nuts due to food allergy.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @caliking

fwiw, sometimes I interchange ADY with IDY and manage to avoid disaster  :)

No water or ice dispenser here.  When I need water at precise temp (e.g. for pizza dough) I boil it in kettle briefly until it's close enough per Thermapen, then pour into SS mixing bowl and heat to exact temp on induction cooktop.
    canuckland