Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

coffee rub recipe?

Options
so we recently bought a pour over for our morning coffee and bought some Starbucks Pike Place. Well, we don't really like it so I figured instead of wasting it I can use it to make a rub

I have never made a coffee rub before so two questions: what is your favorite rub recipe that involves ground coffee and what do you like to use it on? beef, pork, chicken? grilled or smoked? raised direct? any and all tips welcome

headed to grocery store soon and will pick something up for dinner
Boom

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Ummm... I'm pretty sure coffee rub uses instant coffee (instant expresso) that dissolves.  Personally I wouldn't make it with ground coffee. <insert spitting sound>.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I used a simple rub of Salt, Pepper and coffee on my briskets. Doing one today in fact. My "rub" is equal parts salt & pepper, then a small amount of coffee probably about 1/4 the amount of salt/pepper... so 4:4:1 ? I only use the coffee rubs on beef and pork butts. It really doesn't add any flavor, but does help to blacken the bark, which is the reason I like it. For the aesthetics!! 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    Ummm... I'm pretty sure coffee rub uses instant coffee (instant expresso) that dissolves.  Personally I wouldn't make it with ground coffee. <insert spitting sound>.
    JethroVA said:
    I did. I ground expressions beans fine and it was great.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Regular coffee beans work fine with Mickeys rub. Just grind them down fine

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..
    Equal part: Brown Sugar..
    ½ part: Black Pepper..
    ½ part: Kosher Salt..
    ½ part: Garlic Powder..
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..
    NOTE: I just start with a small jar of the Instant Expresso Ground coffee and use the jar for all measurements. 
    Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.