Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where Do you Buy your Meat?

Options
2»

Comments

• CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Publix for every day items, Costco for specialties. 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    For Pork products my go to is a local chain "Standard Market". They carry Compac Duroc ribs, pork butt etc.
    For Brisket - SRF.
    My local butcher also had SRF ribeyes and ribeye cap pinwheel steaks and SRF Hotdogs in stock most of the time.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Local butcher shop, Ingles, Costco.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    theres maybe 3 or 4 dozen descent butchershops near me and maybe more than 2 dozen supermarkets all within a 10 to 15 minute drive that i dont think about it anymore. i dont even shop for more than 2 days worth of food atmost. i dont think i could count all the small grocery places nearby

the regulars are market basket, mckinnons meats, thwaites market, butcherboy, brown and brudnicks, haverhill beef, raymonds farm, shaws farm, and aldis.  one of the closest is restaurant depot and i have not even been in the store, sams im not going to, bj's is ok but i dont really like the place, the area is so saturated that even costco hasnt moved in (i dont think they can compete with the loyalty that marketbasket customers give marketbasket)

i would never mail order meat but have thought about just having it delivered to the house by one of the farms, they are still in the milk delivery business

then theres the halal guy with the lambs

Image result for van fishlessman

That is a luxury to have some many butcher shops nearby. Its an out of the way drive for me.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Spillin
    Options
    Costco, Publix, occasionally Restaraunt Depot
    LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    edited December 2018
    Options
    theres maybe 3 or 4 dozen descent butchershops near me and maybe more than 2 dozen supermarkets all within a 10 to 15 minute drive that i dont think about it anymore. i dont even shop for more than 2 days worth of food atmost. i dont think i could count all the small grocery places nearby

the regulars are market basket, mckinnons meats, thwaites market, butcherboy, brown and brudnicks, haverhill beef, raymonds farm, shaws farm, and aldis.  one of the closest is restaurant depot and i have not even been in the store, sams im not going to, bj's is ok but i dont really like the place, the area is so saturated that even costco hasnt moved in (i dont think they can compete with the loyalty that marketbasket customers give marketbasket)

i would never mail order meat but have thought about just having it delivered to the house by one of the farms, they are still in the milk delivery business

then theres the halal guy with the lambs

Image result for van fishlessman

That is a luxury to have some many butcher shops nearby. Its an out of the way drive for me.
    when i hit google, 28 butcher shops popped up and it didnt even list the farms or the old italian delis, or the lebanese shops, asian markets, the indian bazar, seafood places and some butchers ive been going to most of my life.
    there must be some huge profits in beef up here ;)
    costco is the out of the way drive for me, its about 30 minutes, thats the end of the world up here
    and tritip is still hard to find up here, its 6.99 a pound at one of the out of the way farms, and 11.99 down the street when they have it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Mostly from Restaurant Depot along with Publix or Earth Faire. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• gonepostal
    Options
    bucky925 said:

some guy just pulled into my driveway with all kinds of frozen beef, chicken, pork, and seafood. He says it is from the same place that Omaha steaks come from.

I just paid $120.00 for

USDA choice boneless beef filet-bacon wrapped 12 pieces-50ozs

Beef loin T bone steaks 4 pieces-40ozs

USDA choice filet of beef sirloin ball tip steaks 8 pieces-50ozs

USDA choice boneless beef tips 10 pieces-50ozs

USDA boneless beef fillet 10 pieces-50ozs

"homestyle" pure chopped beef steaks 24 pieces-80ozs

The meat looked good and was stamped as packaged in the last few days. It was flash frozen. The brochure says the beef pack goes for $329.00 and I paid $120.00. The guy said it was the end of the day and they just want to get rid of it etc.........

The brochure says the company is Ranch House quality meats and there is a number for free delivery in the future. I hope I didn't just get taken. I also hope I didn't give a check to a meth addict. Has anyone here ever bought meat like this? I could barely fit it in my freezer and probably won't have to buy beef for 8 months now.

I had a guy pull into my driveway many moons ago right at dark. Was selling a cooler full of beef for $200-$250 if i remember correctly. I did some quick math and offered the guy $50. He laughed and said he couldn't take that but would take $75. I wrote the check and filled the freezer. Can't say any of it was memorable and the guy never bothered to pull in my driveway again. But with that being said...i do hope that some/most of that turns out ok for you. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    Options
    buy once a year from my local farmer and local beef processor who flash freezes and vacuum packs all meat custom.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,468
    Options
    fishlessman said:
    when i hit google, 28 butcher shops popped up and it didnt even list the farms or the old italian delis, or the lebanese shops, asian markets, the indian bazar, seafood places and some butchers ive been going to most of my life.
    Having lived in many parts of the country, and visited many more, during my AF career, I am soooo jealous of this, living where I do.  :(

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I had a friend back in college that worked as one of those freezer in the back of a truck, meat for a really good deal guys.  He told me that his company would take a fresh steak, stretch it out really thin, and then freeze it.  The appearance was a good sized steak, but when you cooked it, it shrank up big time.  Hey, that's what he told me.  You get what you pay for.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Hub said:
    I had a friend back in college that worked as one of those freezer in the back of a truck, meat for a really good deal guys.  He told me that his company would take a fresh steak, stretch it out really thin, and then freeze it.  The appearance was a good sized steak, but when you cooked it, it shrank up big time.  Hey, that's what he told me.  You get what you pay for.
    That sounds like a lot of labor.  I wouldn’t have guessed they start with fresh beef, always figured they were repackaging frozen stuff others were dumping at a heavy discount.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Those guys selling out of their pickup have some pretty low quality beef...similar to Omaha Steaks.  Many people in US have never experienced dry aged Angus beef, so their expectations are very low.  Guess I am spoiled, eating local grass raised Angus right off the BGE!
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr.