Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco Prime Score

Options
The beef gods were looking out for me and I scored a truly great prime loin at CostCo this weekend with the $25 off coupon. I was impressed with the marbling I got in this roast. Here is the before during and after shots. 

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Those look great. Sometimes you get lucky. My luck with Costco meat is very mixed.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Congrats! Those look tremendous. I'm skittish about buying another whole loin because I like to see what I'm getting first. I always sift through the selection of precut choice strips and can usually find a package that looks closer to prime.
    Stillwater, MN
  • theeggcellentchef
    Options
    Yea I was nervous I’d get something closer to choice because it’s hard to tell when you buy a whole loin. Even their pre cut strips can vary greatly in quality 
  • mgoblue0484
    Options
    Costco near me has been consistenly carrying the prime briskets, which is nice.

Has anyone ever purchased a Garage door via Costco? I'm in the market for one.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• Plutonium
    Options
    Looks great! How was the fat cap on there? It appears you trimmed some parts, but nowhere near the level I had to on the last one I got. Mine had a thick, rock hard fat cap on it that I couldn't just leave there.

In general, the prime NY strip loins I've bought didn't look as good as the sliced steaks they had for sale, but the choice ribeyes have come out great. 
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    @theeggcellentchef , what $25 coupon are you talking about?  I've looked through all the recent Costco coupons and didn't see one.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Plutonium said:
    Looks great! How was the fat cap on there? It appears you trimmed some parts, but nowhere near the level I had to on the last one I got. Mine had a thick, rock hard fat cap on it that I couldn't just leave there.

In general, the prime NY strip loins I've bought didn't look as good as the sliced steaks they had for sale, but the choice ribeyes have come out great. 
    I also had to trim a lot of hard fat on the one I sliced up.
    Stillwater, MN
  • theeggcellentchef
    Options
    I think I trimmed a little less than 4 lbs on a 18 lb roast 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Winner Winner! 

Today we went to our local COSTCO for this and that - but mainly for filets to celebrate my wife's 74 trips around the sun on this coming Sunday. Unfortunately not only did COSTCO not have any prime filets even their WHOLE prime selection was the pits!

So since we also still belong to SAMS we then drove there. While SAMS offering was not prime it looked like they should have been and we bought a 3 pounder for $51.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • theeggcellentchef
    Options
    This cut cost me $133 for almost 18 lbs
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I’ve purchased 2 whole prime strips from Costco on sale, very happy with both. The first time there was only one that I would have bought but the next time there were several that looked good. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    That’s a nice roast and perfectly cut steaks!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    Fresh Market had a whole NY Strip prime for $7.99/lb a few weeks ago.  They sliced it into steaks for no extra charge.  Had one and it was very good.  Nice to find these deals!!