Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear-Turnaround Time

Dgjaffee
Dgjaffee Posts: 1
edited November 2018 in Beef
Hey Everyone! Big fan of the site, first time question-asker. I’ve reversed seared on the egg before and loved the method, but I always move the steak to a cast iron on a gas grill to sear. How do you recommend getting the egg from 250/275 to 500+ in 10 minutes so I can do this all on the egg?

Comments

• open your bottom vent all the way and take your cap off 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • I did it for the first time last week.   It took much less time than I thought it would.   Just open the bottom up all the way and take off the cap.
    Franklin, TN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Sounds like you have been at this for a while.  Above all, have fun. 
    The end-game is to nail the cook, however you get there.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I like the sear that a CI puts on a steak.  I think you might be moving in the right direction already.  
  • Cave man them. Pull the grate put steaks directly on coals. Best reverse sears i have ever had
    Jacksonville, FL
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Also remember that dome temp isn't really important.  Searing is best done by lots of radiant heat.  Fully involved charcoal and the meat close to (or on) the coals is what you are after.  Dome temp is just an indicator that the coals may be ready.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    open bottom leave daisy wheel on but slide all the way open will put you in good searing range. IMO cap off you’ll end up overshooting your temp and go way hotter then then you want 

thats my experience anyway 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    It doesn’t take that long usually 5 minutes or so.  Just open everything up as mentioned above.  Be sure to burp the egg if you leave the lid closed.  I usually let my steaks rest about ten minutes before the sear, and the fire is always good to go by the time I’m ready to sear.   And welcome aboard!!! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Welcome aboard.  Good advice above.  Easy to have your egg ripping in 5-10 minutes.  Also a fan of the 10 minute rest before searing.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited November 2018
    The BBQ Dragon will take you from 250°F to 600/800F in 2 minutes. It’s just a big fan that that feeds your lump with lots of high velocity air to get the fire hot quickly. 

• CheeseheadinAZ
    CheeseheadinAZ Posts: 315
    edited November 2018
    I pull the steak and cover with foil. Then take the coal and move to one side of egg building up so it’s very close to the grid. Open everything up.  Then only seems to take a few minutes to 🔥 

Beautiful steaks everytime!!