Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mold growing on grill grate and ceramic where grate rests

Options
Hey folks,
I hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving!

I've had my BGE (large) since early summer and love it.  However, due to my schedule I haven't used it in about a month and I went out to open the grill this morning and there is mold growing all over the grill grate and the ceramic ledge that the grate sits on.  I've used my gas grill for years (with long time spans in between) but have never seen mold growing inside.

I can't believe this is a normal thing.  Should I be leaving the draft door open to let air flow through?  Also, do I need to scrub the mold off the ceramic ledge or will it burn off when I fire it up for my next grilling/smoking session?  I've already cleaned up the grate...but am concerned that if I have gaps in my grilling timeline that this mold issue will continue.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    We've had a lot of rain here and I had the exact same symptoms.  I just fired it up and didn't worry about it and no problems.  It burns off.
    NOLA
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    We all get it if we aren’t cooking regularly. Just like having kids. With the first one you panic if they drop their pacifier on the floor and use disinfect to clean it. By the third kid you check for dog hair and pop it back in his mouth. I stopped worrying about mold. Fire it up and give a the grate a scrub. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options

It happens with lots of moisture and non-use.  Just burn for a few hours and scrape.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You obviously didn't clean the grate well after your last cook.  Yes this is normal.  Mold needs food and moisture to grow.  Leftover organic matter from your cooks is the food. Burn off the mold and leftover organic material and you will be good to go. If you will not be cooking for a longer period, make sure to burn off as much organic material as possible. It’s harder to control moisture so concentrate on denying the mold the food it wants.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Burn it off and EGG ON!  It’ll be fine. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Kjunbob
    Kjunbob Posts: 118
    Options
    I had this problem once, and cleaned off the grill as good as I could, and then I just did a hot burn for about 30 mins or so.  Ever since I have been leaving the bottom and top vents open to allow air to circulate. 

And I also keep my egg covered and that would probably add to the mold problem.  
    Large Egg.  New Orleans Area
  • Spillin
    Options
    Happens to me every once in awhile and I Just wipe it off and let er roll.  Down here in South Florida the 100% humidity doesn't help matters either
    LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • RichH
    RichH Posts: 41
    Options
    I reopen the top and bottom vents the next morning after the fire is out and this has solved the mold issue for me. I'm in Central Florida. I assume the air circulating in the egg stops the mold from growing.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Smokeware Chimney, Kick Ash basket, Rutland Gasket and BBQ Guru DigiQ

St. Petersburg, FL
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    where there is fire, there is no mold.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    As has been mentioned, heat will fix this. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • eggtopia
    Options
    I used to get this, but now when I cover the egg or I'm not going to use it I prop it cracked open to allow a little airflow.  It seems to keep the mold issue down.
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    Options
    Invest in a smokeware cap and open both the top and bottom vents a day or so after your cook.  Airflow will prevent mold growth.  
    Carrollton, Va