Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tough Brisket

Options
Driller
Driller Posts: 56
Two Part Question:

1.)  New to the brisket thing and went with a smaller flat cut of 7 lbs.  Well, the temperature was hit in only three hours and I had tasty but tough piece of meat.  Should I have just left it on longer?

2.)  Second brisket still came out tough and really salty even though I did not brine it.  Was there something I should have looked for when buying it as in cured or uncured?
Weber Gas,  Large Big Green Egg, Mini Green Egg 

I am going to gain way too much weight now that I have a LBGE.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    1:  undercooked if it’s tough
    2:  cured would be corned beef or pastrami,  what’s your rub

advice.   Go in on a packer and let it ride till it probes with no resistance all over.  Let it rest uncovered for 30 min, then into foil for another hour or so. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    This ^^^ 

dont mess with the flats. I personally think the point is the best part 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    Toothpick probe?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    As above-not finished.  The key to a brisket cook, packer or flat is when the thick part of the flat probes like buttah, independent of time and temperature.  This usually happens in the low 200's*F.  Flats are more of a challenge to nail due to the lean cut and narrow finish window but if that's all you can get then go for it.  I have hosed up many a flat cook but worth it when you bring it home.
    There are several flat specific recipes floating around here and the google machine.  Give it another go but it you can score a packer it is a more forgiving if the cow wants to cooperate.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Driller
    Options
    Thank you for the advice.  But what about the saltiness?

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Do you have any pics?  Sounds like you might have corned beef... 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    If your rub was not loaded up with salt then the only way the saltiness got to the protein was thru some precook application.  Unless shopping for a corned beef I have not come across a brisket (any cut) that was brined, injected or otherwise juiced up at the point of purchase.  That's all I've got.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Sounds like you bought a corned beef!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Driller
    Options
    Sounds like I bought corned beef.  Sigh......

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Because it is usually just the wife and I I'll take a whole packer and cut off most of the flat to use for braising and then smoke the point (best part).  If you have a Costco close by their prime whole packers are $3.49 here, good briskets.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    you made Pastrami!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.