Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question: Wet brined turkey + baking soda = ???

Options
Has anyone had any experience in slow-smoking a brined turkey and used baking soda to crisp up the skin?

I can see it working really well, not hardly at all, and also a goopy poultry mess... is it worth it? If so, do you air dry it in the fridge the night before? 

I will be using a propane smoker (In-laws don't have a BGE..) - probably around 225F-250F range.

Thanks in advance!
Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Don’t use baking soda, as it is just the alkaline Sodium Bicarbonate, so it can give a soapy flavor since there is no acid for it to react with. Baking powder(sodium bicarbonate, cream of tartar, and cornstarch) or just cornstarch will help dry the skin, allowing for crispness. Baking powder will have the added effect of denaturing proteins in the skin, allowing it to crisp. At that low of a cooking temp, I would dry-brine to prevent added water and air dry AT LEAST overnight but preferably closer to 24 hours. You might want to finish the turkey at a higher temp in the oven to crisp the skin. This may all be for naught at 225.
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Eggselent!  Thanks !  And yes, I did mean powder and not soda... 
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...