Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt cooking too fast.

Options
Have done three butts since getting my large Egg in January this year.  Set the Egg up to cook indirect with the plate setter drip pan and cast iron grate.  Dome temp 275 as recommended by Ray Lampe.  8 to 8.5 lb butts. The first butt only took 8.5 hours to reach 200 deg internal. The second and third only around 6 hrs. All had great flavor and were moist but were not fall off the bone tender.  All the posts I read say they should take in the 10 to 12 hour range. What am I doing wrong?  Thanks for any tips!

Comments

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    First check the calibration on your thermometer. Sounds like your cooking a little hotter than 275. Which is Ok, I do all my butts at 300 to 325 and they are done in the same time frame you mention. Sometimes its closer to 203 before they shred really easy, but each piece of meat will be a little different. Good luck.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    the meat always drives the cook, it is probably ok.  check your thermometer postions but if its done before you eat, just double wrap tight in foil, put in a cooler with a towel and wait, probably up to 2-3hrs depending on type of cooler.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• bwanadon
    Options
    I will check the thermometer calibration. Thanks
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    bwanadon said:
    Have done three butts since getting my large Egg in January this year.  Set the Egg up to cook indirect with the plate setter drip pan and cast iron grate.  Dome temp 275 as recommended by Ray Lampe.  8 to 8.5 lb butts. The first butt only took 8.5 hours to reach 200 deg internal. The second and third only around 6 hrs. All had great flavor and were moist but were not fall off the bone tender.  All the posts I read say they should take in the 10 to 12 hour range. What am I doing wrong?  Thanks for any tips!
    They weren't done, not for pullable anyway. Meat temp is only a guide. When it gets to 195°, I probe the meat (in multiple places) with a thermometer, not to check temp, but to see if it meets any resistance. If it does, keep cooking. If not, it's done.

Test your dome thermometer to make sure it's accurate. Put the probe in boiling water, should read 212±. If not, turn the nut on the back until it's right.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Remember that the protein is done when it hits the right temp, not time.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Eight hours is what you should expect, not 12.

Approximate cooking times for pork butt/shoulder:

225º:  2 hours a pound

250º: 1.5 hours a pound

275º:  1 hour per pound

350º:  30-45 mins per pound

There is a good amount of variability between individual pieces so take all times as rough. Times assume a full sized butt - 7-10 pounds. Temps are dome.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    you should look into to turbo butts for the next one that is my new go to and its about 5 hours every time and pretty consistent.  

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Remember that the protein is done when it hits the right temp, not time.
    I agree if you are targeting a steak, pork chop or chicken.
    But a brisket and pork butt are done when they are tender. Not at the right temp or time.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,568
    Options
    For pork butts-the best finish-line indicator I have found is when the "bone pulls clean."  Generally in the low 200's*F but that is just a guide.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree that the internal temp is just a guideline. I could be mistaken, but I think the hotter you cook, the higher IT you have to go to. I usually cook 250-275ish and an 8 lb but may take 11-12 hours, and it is typically done and around 195. When I have done turbo I have to take it to over 200. 

I think the breakdown of the protein, collagen, and what-not is a function of both time and temperature. I suppose sous vide is evidence of that. You can cook a chuck roast at 170 degrees and if you cook it long enough it will fall apart. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,688
    edited November 2018
    Options
    If it's truly at 275 in the dome, it's probably closer to 300 or more down at the grate.  That thermo is sitting above a big piece of meat that evaporating it's moisture like crazy.

Dial it down to 225F and see what happens.  Also, just like a refrigerator or cooler, dead air inside the egg is bad......put another pork butt in there.