Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing Egrets ham for Thanks Giving. If I transport in a cooler?

Options
Will it be ok for a few hours. I want to keep it warm but not dry it out. Also about how long do they take to cook?

Suwanee, GA

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    We love that ham recipe and have made it many MANY years. Once up to your temp just pull it off the egg, wrap it tightly in foil and then wrap in towels and place all that into a room warm "cooler" small enough cooler that there is very little space left and it will stay nice and toasty for the time you need! 
    BTW if you want more hints for that recipe just holler and I'll be glad to tell you  -  but not until tomorrow. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ChuckR
    ChuckR Posts: 248
    Options
    RRP any tips and hints would be appreciated. I was thinking of getting a spiral sliced at Costco or Publix. My parents live about an hour from me and we will head there on Thursday when this is done. Once I get there I am in charge of Frying a turkey as well. 
    Suwanee, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    The key to cooking a "pre-cooked" ham is to take it to 140*F.  Then follow @RRP's advice. 
    Edit: If you are then frying a turkey it sounds like the ham will be in a holding pattern for a while beyond the road-trip.  Tightly wrapped on a rack inside a foil covered pan with some liquid (mix of maple syrup and water in the bottom-below the ham level) with the lowest setting on a clock box will get it done.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited November 2018
    Options
    ChuckR said:
    RRP any tips and hints would be appreciated. I was thinking of getting a spiral sliced at Costco or Publix. My parents live about an hour from me and we will head there on Thursday when this is done. Once I get there I am in charge of Frying a turkey as well. 
    My first hint is to NOT use a spiral sliced ham! I know people do, but you are injecting that ham with the mixture so if spiral cut it will be easily draining right out!

My second hint is tell SWMBO to go out of the kitchen and promise you will clean up. Why? Even with a non-spiral cut you will have unavoidable leakage which can and will squirt the mixture back out of that ham through your prior injection points! And the more injections the more chances of leakage. And don't rush it as rushing alone will keep you from squirts to your face and up the cabinet doors!

Thirdly it is best to coat the exterior with that "paste" and leave it on overnight covered and in the refrigerator. What I do I call my "tented porcupine". After I have injected the ham and coated it I break a bunch of round* wooden toothpicks in half. Then with point down I stick them in the ham like a porcupine. I then drape Saran Wrap lightly on top of the broken ends.
    Your ham will then look like this and ready for the refrigerator for overnight.
                *  round wooden toothpicks will leave a rough broken end and won't puncture the Saran Wrap.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ChuckR
    ChuckR Posts: 248
    Options
    RRP said:
    ChuckR said:
    My first hint is to NOT use a spiral sliced ham! I know people do, but you are injecting that ham with the mixture so if spiral cut it will be easily draining right out!

My second hint is tell SWMBO to go out of the kitchen and promise you will clean up. Why? Even with a non-spiral cut you will have unavoidable leakage which can and will squirt the mixture back out of that ham through your prior injection points! And the more injections the more chances of leakage. And don't rush it as rushing alone will keep you from squirts to your face and up the cabinet doors!

Thirdly it is best to coat the exterior with that "paste" and leave it on overnight covered and in the refrigerator. What I do I call my "tented porcupine". After I have injected the ham and coated it I break a bunch of round* wooden toothpicks in half. Then with point down I stick them in the ham like a porcupine. I then drape Saran Wrap lightly on top of the broken ends.
    Your ham will then look like this and ready for the refrigerator for overnight.
                *  round wooden toothpicks will leave a rough broken end and won't puncture the Saran Wrap.
    So the one I ended up with is 6 lbs. How long do you think that will take? I know the original recipe is 5 hours or so but twice the size. I am thinking 3 hours or so.

Suwanee, GA
  • drdeal
    drdeal Posts: 23
    Options
    @ChuckR I'm going to be doing a ham this way this weekend and I think mine will end up being about 6 pounds as well. How long did yours take? Did you end up going spiral or no?