Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

10 year old LBGE needs a sibling

Options
I enjoy cooking for my extended family.  I have cooked eggsclusively (sorry, couldn't help it) on the LBGE for the last ten years, but I have resorted to using the oven when there is just too much to cook.  When my "little one" finishes college in 4 to 5 years, I plan to buy a new house complete with an outdoor kitchen and an additional egg or two.  Until then, I'm thinking of buying a Weber Spirit II E-310 to complement the LBGE.  Is there something else I should consider?  I don't want the hassle of moving two eggs when I'm 5 years older and I don't want to spend more than $500.  Thanks in advance for the words of wisdom.
Large BGE (2008) - Weber Summit (2018)
210 TX

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    If you want an easy to use 2nd cooker, One of the better Weber gassers would be great.
    And Weber customer service is outstanding.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    I like the idea but I would go just a bit bigger and get the Genesis series. 
    Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    This is what I would buy in your situation.  I love kettle grills and this has a gas starter, which is awesome and in your budget - I’m guessing you could find one at a lower price than advertised below. 

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    I modified my Weber kettle to the height of my XL, and use it when I need more cooking space!
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Genesis is a top notch gasser. Much better than most that are way more expensive. It does come in around $700 but I would check out the big box stores for sales. I think I paid 600 for one of mine. 
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Gets a lot of use for burgers and hot dog cooks when the XL is full.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Used Weber gasser and restore it. People unload them for cheap and replacement parts are easy to come by. There are people on tvwbb.com making masterpieces out of old Weber gas grills. I have one waiting for a restore, one day. And it’s green, on accident actually. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@coachbriseno I'll give another vote for a weber kettle.  The performer @mEGG_My_Day posted above is great - I've had 4 of them.  I also have a 26" that I would never part with - it's a grilling machine.
    Phoenix 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    If charcoal is your thing, I’d agree with @blasting. I have a few 26” kettles and they are awesome. Nearly as much grilling space as an XXL egg. 
  • 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    Options
    I enjoy cooking for my extended family.  I have cooked eggsclusively (sorry, couldn't help it) on the LBGE for the last ten years, but I have resorted to using the oven when there is just too much to cook.  When my "little one" finishes college in 4 to 5 years, I plan to buy a new house complete with an outdoor kitchen and an additional egg or two.  Until then, I'm thinking of buying a Weber Spirit II E-310 to complement the LBGE.  Is there something else I should consider?  I don't want the hassle of moving two eggs when I'm 5 years older and I don't want to spend more than $500.  Thanks in advance for the words of wisdom.
    I started with a Weber E -310 then got a LBGE. This week I decided to use the gas grill. Cooked dinner in 45 mins instead of 3+ hours. I would recommend the e-310 to go with the BGE. You won't be dissapointed. 
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Genesis is a top notch gasser. Much better than most that are way more expensive. It does come in around $700 but I would check out the big box stores for sales. I think I paid 600 for one of mine. 
    Craigslist is your friend in this situation.....I ended up getting my Genesis e-310 for $300 Brand New. I just had to replace the thermometer which Weber Customer service sent out the next day.
    Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 
  • 510BG
    Options
    Paid $125 for my spirit e 310 new at HD
  • OshawaDave
    Options
    510BG said:
    I started with a Weber E -310 then got a LBGE. This week I decided to use the gas grill. Cooked dinner in 45 mins instead of 3+ hours. I would recommend the e-310 to go with the BGE. You won't be dissapointed. 

I bought a Genesis CEP 310 ten years ago and have been very happy with it. I uses it average 3 times week for 10 years - A solid grill. It has a side burner and 10mm diameter stainless rod grates. It still has the original burners.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    my weber spirit has to be over 20 years old, 3 burner with the knobs to the right. made new flavor bars this year and new grates would be nice. pretty much indestructible grill. guy at the hardware store pulled out a pin in the propane bottle connector, the new bottles have a safety that needs bypassing, not sure what exactly got removed. overall its a great grill. i use it for corn on the cob and let the company cook on it, easy to move around the neighborhood for block type parties. i believe its the original spirit
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    My two cents. 

Buy a cheap Charbroil gasser and toss it when you move in 5 years. It’ll be worn out by then. Save your money and invest it in quality equipment when you move and get your outdoor kitchen. 
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    My +1 is a 22" Weber Kettle with added rotisserie kit. I've owned one for over 30 years (current one is my second) Between it and my LBGE, I can cook anything.

Michiana, South of the border.
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    I bought my large another large as a companion. Granted, second large is still in the boxes in my garage. I'll get my egg table built someday. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    This is what I would buy in your situation.  I love kettle grills and this has a gas starter, which is awesome and in your budget - I’m guessing you could find one at a lower price than advertised below. 

I had this for 5years or so before my egg. I will say that it is pretty great quality. I sold it for almost what I paid for it. It lights charcoal almost as fast a chimney starter.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Moving BGE's is really not a big deal.  Loosen the top band and pull the dome off......remove the firebox and firering, then lift the base out.  Once you get the base in the car or truck put the firebox and fire ring back in it.  Super easy.

I wouldn't go out and waste money on a lower grade grill.....it's never going to be as good as your BGE.

If moving it is a big deal, then how about a minimax??  Put it on the collapsible stand or on a table.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Moving BGE's is really not a big deal.  Loosen the top band and pull the dome off......remove the firebox and firering, then lift the base out.  Once you get the base in the car or truck put the firebox and fire ring back in it.  Super easy.

I wouldn't go out and waste money on a lower grade grill.....it's never going to be as good as your BGE.

If moving it is a big deal, then how about a minimax??  Put it on the collapsible stand or on a table.
    Agreed. Have moved my large to a few homes now as well as different tables. If you plan it right just do the felt at the same time so it’s no more involved. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Yeah moving eggs really isn’t that hard. I just pull the guys run a ratchet strap around it and away we go. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • coachbriseno
    Options
    I like the idea but I would go just a bit bigger and get the Genesis series. 
    There isn't really a significant size difference between the two grills.  I went to HD to look at both and I didn't see a big difference quality wise either.  Am I missing something?
    210 TX
  • coachbriseno
    Options

I originally had my eye on this beaut.  Curious how the gas starter works and how well it works.  Will do some youtube research.  Thanks for the suggestion.
    210 TX
  • coachbriseno
    Options
    Gets a lot of use for burgers and hot dog cooks when the XL is full.
    This comment here is my situation exactly.  Enjoy doing ribs low and slow, but need to be able to make dogs and burgers while the lbge is doing its thing.
    210 TX
  • coachbriseno
    Options
    510BG said:
    Was that in the HD parking lot after hours?  That is an absolute steal!
    210 TX
  • coachbriseno
    Options
    I bought my large another large as a companion. Granted, second large is still in the boxes in my garage. I'll get my egg table built someday. 
    I'm not quite there yet, but I can dream.
    210 TX
  • coachbriseno
    Options

Considered the MiniMax and almost pulled the trigger.  I think I would rather have the sbge from what I've read about people's experiences between the two.  When I start looking at a new egg, I remember I would also need a nest, kick ash basket, woo, etc... I get heartburn.
    210 TX
  • 510BG
    Options
    510BG said:
    Was that in the HD parking lot after hours?  That is an absolute steal!

Lol It was a clearance floor model.