Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Acorn Squash Fondue

Options
SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
edited November 2018 in EggHead Forum
Messing around and playing with fire tonight. I made made fondue in an acorn squash - it was actually really good. We also had ABTs in the wood oven and grilled short ribs on the hearth. I roasted some fingerling potatoes as well but we were hungry when they came out and no pics were taken. 
I love fall weather... Life is good my friends. 

I think this would cook just fine on the egg. A lot of fun. 
Thanks for looking. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I have no words - just awesome 👏 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Beautifully creative brother Sci!  It all looks amazing.  Thanks for posting.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Love it when you play with fire. 
    Snellville, GA

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Looks amazing. Can we get some more details on that fondue? Did you roast the squash, scoop it out, and mix the cheese and squash together?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Man, that looks good. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    edited November 2018
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Looks amazing. Can we get some more details on that fondue? Did you roast the squash, scoop it out, and mix the cheese and squash together?
    I found this recipe and used it as a guide. There were no pie pumpkins at the store so I subbed in the acorn squash. It took a full 1 1/2 hours to cook at 500 degrees. I tented the squash with foil for the first hour. An acorn squash was plenty as an appetizer for two or three people. I used about 5 ounces of cheese and 1/3 cup of cream. I dusted the cheese with cornstarch (not in the recipe). I’ve found that a good thing to do when making queso or fondue. 

I just scooped out the seeds and string - then added the filling. To eat it we dipped the cheese sauce with toasted croutons. Adter that we just scooped the squash out. It was nice and tender and a bit cheesy. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    caliking said:
    Man, that looks good. 
    Not to rub it in - but - it was, lol.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon