Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The authoritative info on BGE temp controls?

Options
Alpharetta_EggHead
Alpharetta_EggHead Posts: 13
edited November 2018 in EggHead Forum
I'm a newbie with an XL Big Green Egg. The biggest thing I'm struggling with in making the transition from my cheap grill to my BGE is ... temp controls. I'm all over the place. You were once in my shoes. Where did you first get guidance on learning the BGE temp controls -- or the bottom and top vents. I plan to spend a full day testing it out with charcoal only (no food), but I need some basic instructions to get me started. Is there a video, post, or article somewhere? Can you link it? Help!

I realize there are a lot of differentiating factors, such as size of the grill, amount of charcoal, how you stack the charcoal, outside weather, etc. I just need a starting point. PS I'm going to use my BGE 90% of the time for low temps/smoking. Thanks everybody in this community for being so welcoming. Michael C. in Alpharetta, Ga.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    First up welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun. I would say there is no "one size fits all" authoritative guide, however the following link has some good guidance:

Vent Settings, a Visual Guide 

Beyond that, the whole rig runs on air-flow given you have adequate fuel and fire.  If you have a lot of small pieces that are on the bottom grate that will impact the vent settings by way of the reduced flow so you would need wider intake (bottom) and exhaust (top) openings manage it.  Probably the easiest thing to recognize early in the game is that the feed-back loop to any air adjustments is your dome (calibrated?) thermo.  Thus it takes a while to see the effect.  Most BGE's have a sweet spot in the 240-270*F range for low and slow.  If it settles in, don't chase the temperature.  FWIW-
    I'm sure more will be along with their take-remember with the BGE there are many ways to get there and likely they all will work. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Open it wide open (top and bottom vents. Let it approach your target and then close down the vents. For 250° for example, let it get to 225-ish and close down the vents. If you overshoot for a short time, it'll come back down fairly quickly. But if it gets away from you for too long, it could take awhile.

These settings (courtesy of @Grandpas Grub) are for a large egg, but they should give you an idea.

Hope this helps some, and Welcome!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    concentrate on 250, plus minus 20 degrees is close enough. the rest will come naturally in a few cooks.  theres no need to be spot on with temps, close works well with an egg.  i have not had a working gage in years
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Welcome neighbor. @lousubcap posted great information. From there figure out where your egg holds in the 250 range for at least a couple hours with the plate setter in, then adjust from there. Every egg is different my egg for instance will hold 250 until the lump is gone but at 225 it will go out in a couple hours.  Going forward the settings should be consistent if you start with the same amount of lump every time.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    A lot of good advice above.  You may also consider buying this book.

It explains how to set the vents for each recipe.  It is geared towards a LBGE, so your settings may be a bit different, but it is great guidance.

Good Luck and welcome.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I learned a lot on YouTube. Pick short ones, I find those people are more informative. There are many different ways to get results. Make sure and let your temperature stabilize for at least 20 minutes before you feel confident that that is your temperature.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Unless going low and slow, simplify the process and run your egg with a naked top and only adjust the lower vent.  Perfect for anything 300+.
    This is me. Unless low and slow, I never use the top daisy wheel. I only adjust one variable that way. 
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Just gotta mes around with it to get the feel for the most part. As mentioned, dont chase a temperature, close is good enough

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    couple things to recognize/do.  

- make sure grill is properly set up, vent holes in firebox align with lower vent, ash reasonably cleaned out, grate holes open. firebox holes open. 
    - new lump burns better than old lump; so with butts and brisket, long cooks, use all new lump,
    -no real need to stack big lump chunks on bottom of the pile. I pour lump from bag.
    - more lump better than less lump, as we can reuse old lump when grilling.
    - low and slow - light lump in one spot, fire starter or small flame torch, electric blower starter ok but do not use a weber-like chimney or electric coil.
    - close dome, open vents all the way,
    -75 degrees below target temp, start backing down vents to required setting, required setting just takes practice to learn. keep notes. might be 2-3 setting steps. 
    - don't chase temps, +/- 20°F is ok.
    - important  at key events, learn to check the lump, you need to learn how the lump burns. it helps solve problems later on.  key events are anytime you do something to the cook process: change vent settings prior to food going on, add ceramic piece, add food.

you mention going to play all day.  that may be hard because once you get a cook going, you're in it for several hours before getting back to square one - starting a new test cook.

t  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    Make certain not to fiddle with vents too often, as others mentioned take notes , set your timer on your phone for every 20-30 minutes and check temps
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Alpharetta_EggHead
    Options
    lousubcapCarolina Q thank you for your warm welcome. I've come across Grandpa's pics before (and saw people wondering if he was still around, since his last post was 2012). The pics are great, but it would be helpful if we had the measurements of the openings ... to get a better understanding. You know, 1/4 inch, 1/8 etc.
  • Alpharetta_EggHead
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Welcome neighbor.
    You live on the north side of Atlanta, too? Let's cook!
    JRWhitee said:
    From there figure out where your egg holds in the 250 range for at least a couple hours with the plate setter in, then adjust from there. 
    Sounds good, but this is exactly what I was seeking guidance for ... what vent settings do YOU use to hit 250 on YOUR BGE?
  • Alpharetta_EggHead
    Options
    Unless going low and slow, simplify the process and run your egg with a naked top and only adjust the lower vent.  Perfect for anything 300+.
    Interesting. If I'm doing chicken breasts at 325-350 and top vent is open, how much do you keep your bottom vent open on yours? 1/4 inch? 1/2? Halfway? Thanks
  • Alpharetta_EggHead
    Options
    tjv said:
    -75 degrees below target temp, start backing down vents to required setting, required setting just takes practice to learn. keep notes. might be 2-3 setting steps. 
    this post in its entirety is very helpful. Thanks for providing some specific answers. The part that I clipped above .. is what I want to ask you about. What do you mean by "required setting." How did you get yours? What are some of your settings, if you don't mind me asking. Tell me more! Thanks